Shift Stick, 1936 Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac.

Dandy Dave

We are looking for a shift stick for a 1936 Oldsmobile. Part number is 1293963. Parts book says it fits F1932 to 36 6 Cylinder and L1933 to L1936 8 Cylinder. From what I have found out this also was used in Buick 40 and 50 series and Pontiac of the same vintage. Dandy Dave. Call 518- 965-1162. Please leave a message or message me on this site if you wish. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

My 1937 Pontiac parts book lists the following:

1935 1936 6, 8       1293309

1937  6, 8                1300475

Be aware that in the last part of 1935, Pontiac changed from a Chevrolet-like transmission to a Buick-like transmission. Therefore, only cars made at the very last of 1935 have a transmission similar to yours. Pontiac continued to use Buick-like transmissions for years, so even though the book stops at 1937, the shifter would be similar right until Pontiac went to a column shift. I do not recall which year they changed.

The numbers are different. so there must be some difference, but all of those Pontiacs have a top plate about like yours with the odd mechanism, and any of them would most likely fit in the transmission. Not sure about the car...

The 1941 Buick parts manual lists the following for the series 40 (Special) which uses a transmission similar to yours in this period. The larger cars all used a larger, unrelated transmission.

1934 1935 1936  series 40  1291413

1937 1938  series 40            1297397

These too all have a top plate about like yours. There must be something different about them but I have no idea what.

Here is a picture of a 36 Olds that was on Barnfinds. 36 Pontiac and 36 Buick 40 seem to have that bend in the shifter way down tight to the floor.

Rg98HrL.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's an extreme long shot from 2014, might be worth a PM. Ignore most of the thread. It isn't Pontiac. It is almost certainly Olds due to the short open tail, and maybe even 36. Too bad they didn't show the whole stick.

And, an even longer shot from 2013. At least this one has a useful picture that shows what the bend in the stick looks like.

Page_27_JPG.jpg

Yeah. I just have a simple flip phone and don't do text. That's what we're looking for. Need the stick and all the little pieces that go in that square hole in the top cover. Would most likely be best to just take the top off and figure shipping that way. We may need other stuff. The car these parts are going in had its original engine and transmission scraped by relatives of the owner. The old fellow that had it was pissed when he heard they were going to hot rod the car and sold it to a pal of mine.  That is also me that messaged you on eBay. Thanks for replying. PM me here for price and shipping.  Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

12 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Dave, I have a stick for a `36 Buick 40 series around here some place. I`ll find it and send you pictures. Do you need all the springs and things for installation? Tom

Yeah, I need whatever springs and parts fit in the square hole in the top cover. Just post a photo here as I don't have a smart phone or do texting on one. I just have a simple flip phone. PM me on price and shipping. Thanks, Dandy Dave. 

• 5 months later...

I am looking for a similar 5 bolt top cover transmission with the closed drive for my 1935 series 605. Case number 1293295-2, shifter cover and case both have 6-11 cast on them and a Serial number of 18906 5 stamped on top of trans. Any info on the id of trans would be great. I not exactly sure what motor is in the car because its not the original 8 that it came with. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get this car started and moving with as little modification as possible. I am new to the 30s and 40s tech. Newbie that is kind of lost here. 😞 Thank you

20200714_173152.jpg

20200714_173215.jpg

Thats a late 35 or 36 Pontiac transmission. It may be original. Some of the last 35s had a transmission that looked like that. All 36's did. Most 35s have a Chevrolet-based transmission that looks nothing like this. 

Oldsmobiles have an open driveline. 1937 Pontiacs have an extremely long tailshaft and an open driveline. Buick Specials have a torque tube, but it is a different attachment style. All are similar 5-bolt transmissions to yours, but not a match. The rear housing gives it away as Pontiac.

Changeover to the new transmission (like yours) happened at engine number engine number 8-27162 (Eights) and 6-46474 (Sixes).

Transmission case numbers: 1935 second type 1395781

1936 all                  1399802

Casting numbers do not always match part numbers.

How bad is it? If it fits in the car properly. maybe it could be rebuilt. I seem to recall that the late 1935 transmission mount is in a different location than 1936. If so, thats a part-of-the-year transmission, and is going to be really hard to find.

Thank you for the info. It's been filled with water for the last 5 years at least. Dont know where all the gear lube went. Unless it drained back . Will need some new internals due to the gears being a cohesive clump. I am going to hate to see whats inside the TUBE. I have a few places to call that have a couple 36s. I will need to check the mounts like you mentioned. Its filled with acetone and atf at the moment. I figured why not. Shes coming out anyway.

The engine serial number on the engine in my 35 series 605  is 509154. Some help on that would be amazing as well. I know its not a 35 block. No cast chief on the side. And full jacketed cooling. No casting number on block. Cylinder head number is 486004. Thanks again for your time.

Paul Langeslay

Edited by 1935pontiac605sedanman (see edit history)

OUCH

Well, your rear housing will probably be salvageable. I believe (going by the book because I haven't seen them side by side) that that rear housing is the only thing you would need to make a 36 trans bolt into a 35.

My books don't go new enough to decode those engine numbers, maybe someone around here has newer books. I believe 39 was the last with an Indian cast in the block. The basic engine design stayed the same through 54, though there were many small changes.

• Like 1

Agree. That Pontiac trans is a mess. Oil floats on water. If it filled with water high enough it would have pushed all the oil out any where it could. I did get a Shifter for the Olds. that I am working on. She is coming together nicely. Dandy Dave. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post some photos after I get the motor in it and get it running. The car is not here but at another shop where body work has been happening for about 15 years. The engine is painted and I just need to do some assembly so that it can be installed. Tied down here as my better other half is near the end of end stage liver disease. Dandy Dave! 

• 10 months later...

I don't see any follow up pictures.   Did you ever get the proper transmission?

If not I have a couple of complete 1935/36 Olds transmissions including shifter arms and one complete 1935 Pontiac trans with it's shifter.

I not too far from you.  If you need one let me know. 

Cheers,

Jewell55 1349470909_Picture013.jpg.611f2bbf1f9a93dfefa656bc317750b3.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 11:04 AM, pont35cpe said:

Dave, I have a stick for a `36 Buick 40 series around here some place. I`ll find it and send you pictures. Do you need all the springs and things for installation? Tom

No. I have all the other stuff now. Just the top casting.