padgett

AACA Concern

Did anyone read those new AACA terms and conditions ? Essentially no modifications from stock are allowed to be discussed. I have been protesting a bit that the cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed and there is no reason not to correct factory mistakes.

Further "what is stock" ? I have TSBs for every year that are many inches thick, most slipstreamed changes never publicly announced. Is there any doubt that this has been going on since Studebaker built carriages ?

Have to be prepared that I may get muzzled  Not the first time I've said that to properly judge a car for "correctness" takes a lot of documentation, about four hours, and some disassembly.

Just wanted to let you know that in the future no discussion of modification (like 17" wheels) may be allowed.

What are the moderators being told ?

Steve posted in the general forum in BOLD letters the following.

Steve Moskowitz
Super Moderator

Folks, please!!!!  Common sense WILL be the rule of the day!  We just reaffirmed, tightened up the criteria.  Our moderators hopefully will make sensible decisions and maintain the SPIRIT of what we are trying to accomplish with our forums.  We will not always be perfect in our decisions but at least everyone now should be clear about what our forums are all about.  

I know but the new T&C change the direction of the club (essentially NO modifications)  And now I cannot bring the new T&C up again, did anyone save ?

I don't think anyone should too worked up. I believe it is the "flag ship" forum [AACA] that is the real sacred cow. That is the part of the forum that will get the most scrutiny. The proof is that there is a "Buick Modified" forum just two door up from us.

And Padgett there is always Ronnie's web site as we talk about all kinds of things about Reattas over there.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The camel's nose.

I concur with @Jim — I'm really not worried about the Reatta or the Riviera forums.

As a long time member of AACA  I have to say that this is not surprising.  Dealing with the AACA arcane rules is very similar to a visit to your local DMV. It's a fairly old organization that that was started by very doctrinaire,  check-book restoration, rigid people that set up very tight rules that pretty much froze out anyone  who didn't want to just win trophy's. my observation of the last decade is that the current management is trying to be more inclusive but the rule book is against them.  I think it's a hoot that a 1984 Plymouth minivan can be a show car;  I'm all for it but many members consider it close to a war-crime. Imagine how welcome a Vega owner would be at their events yet without younger members they are on a death spiral'

Their monthly magazine has become very supportive of newer cars but i fear  most members are still  less than welcoming

M

8 hours ago, stall said:

As a long time member of AACA  I have to say that this is not surprising.  Dealing with the AACA arcane rules is very similar to a visit to your local DMV. It's a fairly old organization that that was started by very doctrinaire,  check-book restoration, rigid people that set up very tight rules that pretty much froze out anyone  who didn't want to just win trophy's. my observation of the last decade is that the current management is trying to be more inclusive but the rule book is against them.  I think it's a hoot that a 1984 Plymouth minivan can be a show car;  I'm all for it but many members consider it close to a war-crime. Imagine how welcome a Vega owner would be at their events yet without younger members they are on a death spiral'

Their monthly magazine has become very supportive of newer cars but i fear  most members are still  less

have you actually been to AACA National meets? A Vega, Pinto, Omni etc are seen at meets.  It’s the same at any other show, unless someone is really into it all, the groups pretty much stick together. Cars like you mention are totally accepted at such shows and usually draw pretty large crowds.  I have taken 23 cars to AACA meets and very few of them were high brow cars when new and nothing older than mid 5O’s.  I have heard that same kind of griping for 40 years, the same thing was said 49?tears ago about the mud 60’s cars that were entering judging. Same old story. 

I doubt anything will be said about this forum, as mentioned it will be more geared to the AACA’s actual section 

Generally speaking, in an era where the car collecting hobby is decreasing every year (especially since 2008), adding such a restriction is foolish.

Might mention that the Reatta forum was said to have been forced on the AACA despite that it has more posts than most others.

I've been trying to point out that "100% original" is impossible particularly since even as late as the '70 for GM, what actually came down the assembly line was often different from what the literature says (see 1973 Pontiac EPA decree").

Also the current mindset is quite different from when the club was started in 1935. "Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. ". Personally enjoy driving my cars. Each is different and each is stored inside at my house, has a door, is licensed, and insured.

Might mention that if anyone really wants to know how their car was built, it depends on what day and at what plant. I measure my documentation mostly GM and suppliers since 1959, in board feet.

8 hours ago, padgett said:

Might mention that the Reatta forum was said to have been forced on the AACA despite that it has more posts than most others.

I've been trying to point out that "100% original" is impossible particularly since even as late as the '70 for GM, what actually came down the assembly line was often different from what the literature says (see 1973 Pontiac EPA decree").

Also the current mindset is quite different from when the club was started in 1935. "Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. ". Personally enjoy driving my cars. Each is different and each is stored inside at my house, has a door, is licensed, and insured.

Might mention that if anyone really wants to know how their car was built, it depends on what day and at what plant. I measure my documentation mostly GM and suppliers since 1959, in board feet.

I applaud a group that sticks to its original mission, the word preservation in there is the key word, modifying a car is not preservation. The thing about after 1959 is just silly.  Have you actually properly restored many cars or just done your own thing to them, there is a huge difference and the majority of the AACA wants their original mission statement to stand.  Sad is the day that modified cars enter the AACA judging fields 

• Like 1

Whatever needed to be done to a car, particularly during WWII to keep them running is "preservation".  See wikipedia "while making as few changes as possible". Heck almost noone knows 100% exactly how a car was built at plant/day/hour/shift.. I would wager I could go to any nice car and find something wrong e.g no GM car (never say never but need documentation) came from the factory with an R-59 battery. (and many are concerned about which hole the Delco Eye goes in).

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Worse case.....there is a Modified forum under Buick,  could we have a Modified Reatta forum?

• Like 1