What are you working on right now?

On 3/15/2023 at 7:54 AM, auburnseeker said:

SNOW. lots and lots of snow.  Still shoveling and plowing.  2 feet yesterday on top of the 15 inches we got a week ago.  Maybe if I'm lucky later I can get the snowmobile out and get that stuck.  

I just took some photos to add for proof.  The picture of the front of the house shows the depth of snow on the wall which is pretty much exclusively from the last two storms with some compression. 

The snow bank is not on a hill.  That's usually flat lawn there. 

I had to carve the mail box out of the snow bank today. All that was visible was the front of the door,  and the top was under over a foot of snow.

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

On 3/15/2023 at 7:54 AM, auburnseeker said:

SNOW. lots and lots of snow.  Still shoveling and plowing.  2 feet yesterday on top of the 15 inches we got a week ago.  Maybe if I'm lucky later I can get the snowmobile out and get that stuck.  

I just took some photos to add for proof.  The picture of the front of the house shows the depth of snow on the wall which is pretty much exclusively from the last two storms with some compression. 

The snow bank is not on a hill.  That's usually flat lawn there. 

I had to carve the mail box out of the snow bank today. All that was visible was the front of the door,  and the top was under over a foot of snow.

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

That's why we moved from the snow country in northern CA. One time the sierra cement was so deep my power wagon with lockers all around would not move it. Luckily I also had a D4 Cat--

• Like 1

2023 seems to be "The Year of the Water Pump". This is the second such project we have worked on with a third waiting in the wings.

This time it's scanning and reverse engineering the lovely bronze water pump for an automobile of 1900's vintage. (More than that I cannot say) Since the original pieces needs to ship out of here ASAP, and we wont have them to refer back too, we will have a set of sketches documenting all the critical dimensions so later, when we dive into the CAD portion of the process we will have that data to refer to as opposed to just the 3D scan.

Here is the setup. The white coating on the part is a spray coating that kills reflectivity. It evaporates and leaves no trace after a couple of hours. Without it, when scanning a bright surface, the laser tends to scatter points about which adds time to post processing the scans. At almost 45 bucks a can we tend to use it sparingly!

IMG_0497.jpg.745eaa3b25bda17c2efaa0d7e842e38a.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the raw scans. We used four individual scans to capture the geometry and ensure coverage. These are then aligned to match using selected points on common geometry.

IMG_0498.jpg.142c7ec767654d24cede58387943a767.jpg

How well does the scanner pick up fine detail? If you look closely on the rim near the outlet you can see a faint stamp and the serial number. It also picks-up every pit and imperfection and speck of dirt. 

s2.jpg.c50bc7ebc5583163b85ddd8f4e122586.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 10

On 6/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, TTR said:

Interesting to see there’s someone else “struggling”(?) with myriad of 812SC issues.

Here’s the one I’m (still) dealing with and what started as “Transmission just suddenly quit working while out driving the car. Can you take care of ?”.

Not only is it amazing how many contributing issues, each of which just by itself would’ve rendered the transmission inoperable and many having been caused by (far) less than ideal rebuild/repair efforts performed by alleged professional shops (I’ve seen copies of the invoices), but the amount of other, unrelated concerns and problems (mostly created by same, less than ideal efforts) I’ve discovered on a car most would consider being in (near) perfect collection/museum/show quality condition !?!

2E89C168-2841-4E11-BF4B-41F3FC7DDEED.jpeg

8D6530C0-8A38-4E09-8A98-7706BDEA53D7.jpeg

Tell us more about the cars symptoms, diagnosis and solution. Cord lovers want to know.

any pictures of that beautiful car in all black with it’s good on would be appreciated! What a stunning car and I’ll bet it looks fabulous in black.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

The white coating on the part is a spray coating that kills reflectivity. It evaporates and leaves no trace after a couple of hours. Without it, when scanning a bright surface, the laser tends to scatter points about which adds time to post processing the scans. At almost 45 bucks a can we tend to use it sparingly!

Terry, try K2R dry cleaning spray.  I think it is diatomaceous earth in a volatile solvent, wipes off easily, much cheaper.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

2023 seems to be "The Year of the Water Pump". This is the second such project we have worked on with a third waiting in the wings.

This time it's scanning and reverse engineering the lovely bronze water pump for an automobile of 1900's vintage. (More than that I cannot say) Since the original pieces needs to ship out of here ASAP, and we wont have them to refer back too, we will have a set of sketches documenting all the critical dimensions so later, when we dive into the CAD portion of the process we will have that data to refer to as opposed to just the 3D scan.

Here is the setup. The white coating on the part is a spray coating that kills reflectivity. It evaporates and leaves no trace after a couple of hours. Without it, when scanning a bright surface, the laser tends to scatter points about which adds time to post processing the scans. At almost 45 bucks a can we tend to use it sparingly!

IMG_0497.jpg.745eaa3b25bda17c2efaa0d7e842e38a.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the raw scans. We used four individual scans to capture the geometry and ensure coverage. These are then aligned to match using selected points on common geometry.

IMG_0498.jpg.142c7ec767654d24cede58387943a767.jpg

How well does the scanner pick up fine detail? If you look closely on the rim near the outlet you can see a faint stamp and the serial number. It also picks-up every pit and imperfection and speck of dirt. 

s2.jpg.c50bc7ebc5583163b85ddd8f4e122586.jpg

Thanks Terry, I began 3D printing in March 2020 and love the hobby, using CAD applications to make molds for aluminum casting. I’ve been intending to get into scan-to-capture so your post is a catalyst. I hope to be able to use my iPhone.

• Like 3

Working on my Packard: https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php

EDIT/NOTE: You need to have an account to see the listing. It's the same car as in my profile picture.

Here is the project blog: https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25930

And also a 1967 bicycle for the short trips: https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-forum/1272237-getting-free-67-phillips-back-road.html

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Model56s said:

Thanks Terry, I began 3D printing in March 2020 and love the hobby, using CAD applications to make molds for aluminum casting. I’ve been intending to get into scan-to-capture so your post is a catalyst. I hope to be able to use my iPhone.

Is making a scan of small parts getting affordable yet?

I haven't been able to do much car work,  other than getting the Hudson out for the season.  

I have been working on the property alot though.  Finished grading everything in the woods,  built a second rock wall on the point and added a full road/trail all around the pond back to the tributary so you can walk all around it.  

Now I have to Turn this pile of cedar logs into a lean to like this to put on the point. 

Then fix the mess I made out of the lawn after beating it to death with equipment and the 75 loads I took out with the dump truck. 

I've been waiting to work on my cars on rainy days,  but it hasn't rained in 3 weeks. 

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

leantoshell.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, human-potato_hybrid said:

3D scanners are pretty cheap, but the cheap ones are probably still not good enough to be useful. 3D printing itself is cheap.

It’s like any other emerging technology in that you get what you pay for and there is at the moment a wide disparity of quality and capabilities between affordable and high end. The setup we use (illustrated in my previous post) along with the software and accessories ran far north of $100,000.00 in spite of a healthy discount. Thankfully it was covered by a generous equipment grant - otherwise it would still be a distant dream. 

I suspect that gap in quality and capabilities will close quickly as it has with 3D printers. For example, our first 3D printer cost $11,000.00 And was the cream of the crop back then. Now it’s been replaced by two $600.00 printers that are far more capable and generate much higher quality prints.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

It’s like any other emerging technology in that you get what you pay for and there is at the moment a wide disparity of quality and capabilities between affordable and high end. The setup we use (illustrated in my previous post) along with the software and accessories ran far north of $100,000.00 in spite of a healthy discount. Thankfully it was covered by a generous equipment grant - otherwise it would still be a distant dream. 

I suspect that gap in quality and capabilities will close quickly as it has with 3D printers. For example, our first 3D printer cost $11,000.00 And was the cream of the crop back then. Now it’s been replaced by two $600.00 printers that are far more capable and generate much higher quality prints.

What I am talking about is getting the file to make the printed object. I guess they do it with lasers?

We just did plugs, wires, coil, rotor, it had a skipping it. But was running pretty well. So it’s running much better. I put a quick 12 miles on it before it starts raining here and it’s running great.

These are fantastic cars. It is four-speed plus an overdrive. The engine revs to 5200. In fourth gear you’re doing 60 miles an hour at around three grand. You put it in overdrive and the RPMs come way down.

IMG_2463.jpeg

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, alsancle said:

We just did plugs, wires, coil, rotor, it had a skipping it. But was running pretty well. So it’s running much better. I put a quick 12 miles on it before it starts raining here and it’s running great.

These are fantastic cars. It is four-speed plus an overdrive. The engine revs to 5200. In fourth gear you’re doing 60 miles an hour at around three grand. You put it in overdrive and the RPMs come way down.

IMG_2463.jpeg

Gorgeous car!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jp1gt said:

What I am talking about is getting the file to make the printed object. I guess they do it with lasers?

It doesn't have to be scanned. That's just one tool and like any tool it isn't appropriate for all applications. We have often pulled measurements from original parts using calipers and a micrometer and created the model in a 3D CAD program such as SolidWorks. If someone is interested in getting started in creating and 3D printing components I would suggest starting out by getting and learning the software - Sketchup, Fusion 360 are examples that are affordable for home use and have a fairly easy learning curve. 

Once you can model a components using the software, the 3D printing is the easy part. 

• Like 3

I did not want to learn how to use a computer in the 90's but I did

I did not want to learn how to use a smart phone  in the 2000's, but I did

I got Fusion 360 for home use. Now learning to make 3D files, an old dog can learn new tricks--

• Like 6

On 5/28/2023 at 6:25 PM, mike brady said:

Cord uses 1", 1 1\8", 1 1\2" & 2" I.D. straight hoses which you can order from Rock Auto and cut to length.  Only the upper rad hoses are easy to change.  The hoses between the blower and the thermostat housings aren't hard either but do take some time.  The remaining hoses require the water pump to be removed which required most of a day and ample patience.

The coolant hoses required for the 812SC car/engine I'm working on appear to be 13/16", 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" & 2", but no 1 1/8". Perhaps there were some changes implemented during production ?

On 6/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, John Bloom said:

Tell us more about the cars symptoms, diagnosis and solution. Cord lovers want to know.

any pictures of that beautiful car in all black with it’s good on would be appreciated! What a stunning car and I’ll bet it looks fabulous in black.

Too much to describe/write about in one sitting and more "surprises" are still being discovered/sorted.

Initial, overall appearance can be considered fairly nice, but like most other similar restorations, closer you look...

Not my car and like most my clients, the collection it belongs to prefers privacy so public sharing detailed information or photos of most of them is not an option (Thanks for understanding and I imagine internet search will reveal plenty of pictures).

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The ribs look good………soon the auction will start, and it will be interesting to see how things go. I will be at the Pierce meet for the week. This will be my 32end annual meet with them. Time sure does fly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Great!  You can buy me dinner and drinks!

No hablo, English! 

besides, George was already collecting Social Security when I attended my first meet. And that was 42 years ago………..😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No hablo, English! 

besides, George was already collecting Social Security when I attended my first meet. And that was 42 years ago………..😎

But I wear the years reasonably well.....

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, keiser31 said:

Not auto related (again), but my honey keeps coming up with house stuff to do. Been adding an extension to our rear porch/deck and new steps. Gotta wait a while to paint the pressure treated stuff as it is still oozing out of the wood. The grate in the center was from the old church floor up the street.

IMG_5320.JPG

Nasty April Fool's joke to play on someone when they slide their chair back onto it!!

Craig

• Haha 1

I have found that cars that have never been restored are to be valued. They don’t rattle as much, they have all their original little parts, and typically they can be more reliable. Our 53 Packard has never (knock on wood), broken down. However the water pump started screaming like a banshee a couple months ago so we just did a new water pump, hoses, and belts. I went for a 20 mile jog today just to make sure everything checked out. Although it is a postwar car, I have always really liked these.

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

• Like 8

Yesterday was a rainy cold day at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum. However, that didn't limit the fun. We had all three Lombard's out and about as well as the sawmills, black smith shop etc. being demonstrated. Best of all we hosted and met a lot of great people! The machines ran great! The only downside is we have had weeks of rainy and overcast weather and a week of intense activity during Children's Days so the solar light system in Machinery Hall was down for the count.

DSC_1488.jpeg.612e26f575d47bb28021aa6a63f40219.jpeg20230617_130757.jpeg.d2c1fe3e5672cc2857befd8ab9b812d2.jpeg20230617_095906.jpeg.8b9e63df673b029d68d0ed17ce29b8d3.jpeg20230617_123819.jpeg.93f61fa11547ec4385d5be04b199b410.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpg.bec8928e2ff5985a7d955c42e1e03621.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg.a14242b483d2dc7310bf451e05500ace.jpg

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The very definition of a "Road Locomotive".   Thanks for posting that!

Doesn't look like you saw as much of the rain as we did further south based on you standing outside.

It was mostly light drizzle until noon than it turned to a steady rain. Nothing too heavy. Unfortunately, after weeks of this stuff our garden is simply doing nothing - most of the seeds just rotting in the ground….. 😞 

I try to not let anything sit for more than 60 days.   Our 180 Packard was on schedule to be run last Feb on a decent day where I could pull it out of the garage.   Started right up but when I pulled it out of the garage it had no power and felt like it was running on 4 cylinders.   I managed to get it back in the garage.    It felt like ignition to me so I pulled the distributor and the coil and sent it to our friendly forum savant who dialed in the distributor and tested the coil for me.   He did not find anything wrong with either which I thought was strange as I was convinced there is an ignition issue.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago,  I put it all back together again and the car will not start.   No spark.   I'm thinking what the bleep.   I walk away.   Last night I went back to it and confirmed no spark.   I'm staring at the distributor and I see the ignition wire hanging next to it.   Hmmm.  An idiot at work.     Now it will fire but it is running like crap.   So I nurse it for a solid 10-15 minutes and eventually it smooths out.    I do not believe it is bad gas.   I thought maybe fuel pump was weak, but running the electric simultaneously did nothing.

We have thunderstorms for the next two weeks (I'm not kidding) but will try to go down road.   Here is a video of it after it was warm.  

https://youtu.be/k-cbjjykTtY

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I try to not let anything sit for more than 60 days.   Our 180 Packard was on schedule to be run last Feb on a decent day where I could pull it out of the garage.   Started right up but when I pulled it out of the garage it had no power and felt like it was running on 4 cylinders.   I managed to get it back in the garage.    It felt like ignition to me so I pulled the distributor and the coil and sent it to our friendly forum savant who dialed in the distributor and tested the coil for me.   He did not find anything wrong with either which I thought was strange as I was convinced there is an ignition issue.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago,  I put it all back together again and the car will not start.   No spark.   I'm thinking what the bleep.   I walk away.   Last night I went back to it and confirmed no spark.   I'm staring at the distributor and I see the ignition wire hanging next to it.   Hmmm.  An idiot at work.     Now it will fire but it is running like crap.   So I nurse it for a solid 10-15 minutes and eventually it smooths out.    I do not believe it is bad gas.   I thought maybe fuel pump was weak, but running the electric simultaneously did nothing.

We have thunderstorms for the next two weeks (I'm not kidding) but will try to go down road.   Here is a video of it after it was warm.  

https://youtu.be/k-cbjjykTtY

IMG_0613.jpg

AJ, tell us the story behind the picture.  Is the dashing couple your parents?