What are you working on right now?

1 minute ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

3 hours napping and 1 hour of diagnosis.. 

Actually isn't amazing how time stands still when your deep in a complex issue, and before you know it, hours have passed...  Almost always twice my planning  estimate!

time did not fly as I had my dad helping.  About every ten minutes he would tell me he didn’t understand why it stopped working as it worked great for 50 years.

• Haha 2

This might not seem car related, but rest assured, it certainly is !  Access to the side and back of the house, hooray !   Here's our guy "haulin' grass, and "pullin' stumps".

IMG_7518.JPG

IMG_7554.JPG

• Like 5

Here is the clutch switch out of the Cord.   I'm very lucky that I live near Mike Lavalle of KES who restored the switch for me in 24 hours.   According to him there were a number of issues:

1.  The rivet on the hot input was loose and would flex losing contact.

2.  The plate was cracked and also flexing.

3.  The nubs that make contact were not even and were making uneven contact.

I put it in and all my starting problems were gone.   Also my shift harness is now energized with the clutch down. 

I was thrilled and jumped right in to testing the shifting with the new harness.   It was not doing what it is supposed to do so more testing is in order.   Sigh...

IMG_8013(1).jpg.f908b7b43dca07a40e1db92fd64e182e.jpgIMG_8018.jpg.32786bdc51901304ef668f805b69151e.jpgIMG_8019.jpg.e5e3be43cdc9bb47afebd4375fc8302f.jpg

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Under dash work sucks.....makes my head spin. Servicing the amp guage on a Duesenberg.........

For those of us who use bifocals, buy a pair of cheap-frame glasses with single vision at 15-inch focal length for under-dash and similar work.  Some airline pilots have glasses with the bifocal on the upper part of the lenses to read overhead instrument displays, but this would be substantially more expensive.

• Like 2

Todays effort was on the front seat [still !!!]. Firstly I made some foam filler pieces to go behind the back rest springs, mainly to give the springs some support across the back part of the seat frame.

The original spring assemblies were not useable so I ended up modifying the seats from a 1959 220s Mercedes  Benz to suit [ sorry😁]. I only had to remove about 12inches from the centre to make it fit .

Next I attached some what Aussies call hessian [burlap/jute] to the frame with hog rings with a layer of 3/8 inch thick fibre insulation sandwiched between the springs and the hessian. Then all of that was attached to the seat frame with insulated pipe clamps. I left the top piece of hessian long so it can be tacked along the top of the frame to support the padding under the seat cover.

Cheers Mark

IMGP6817.JPG

IMGP6818.JPG

IMGP6819.JPG

IMGP6820.JPG

IMGP6815.JPG

• Like 3

It's getting there !  Looks almost like a driveway all the way 'round the house now !  Anxious to finish up and bring a car or two around and in the "to be finished" under house garage.

IMG_7608.JPG

IMG_7609.JPG

IMG_7605.JPG

• Like 3

Busy day at the museum! Leaving home the thermometer read a sweltering 35 degrees with patches of snow lingering from the last storm. 2-1/2 hours south at the museum it topped 70 today. Lot done! A group of Students from the University of Maine Construction Engineering Technology program fabricated some picnic tables for us. Great group to work with! 

With the boiler inspection complete on the No. 38 Lombard we finished putting it back together and used the compressor to test it for leaks and limber it up a bit. It took me by surprise. I had the throttle closed and when I moved the reverse lever forward it decided to move off unexpectedly so we had a bit of a rapid back and forth for a bit as I overshot the neutral notch on the reverse guadrant. No harm but when a 19 ton machine does something like that its rather alarming. We will have to keep an eye on it and maybe inspect and lap the throttle valve if its leaking by.

We greased the various bearings on the sawmill and ran that a bit. We also had a "spa day" for the no. 74 Lombard. A good washing makes all the difference! We also demonstrated the 1928 Lombard dump truck and the 1932 10 ton Lombard. Some brush was cut, some doors were painted. My daughter did a lot of sweeping and cleaning and her first driving lesson. A great day!

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Cut a bunch of wood blocks for the eaves of my garage and installed them. Should have done it 25 years ago. Now maybe the varmints will stay out....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pulling the distributor out and realizing I may have found the cleanest part inside the whole engine...well, until the junk from above decided to fall down onto itPXL_20210426_153613205.jpg.ab9816dd4aa8f244efb6ae5351b73ea4.jpg

Getting near the finish line moving out of the old garage.

Two trailer loads like this one with tools and such yesterday.

IMG_8997.JPG.780f0db0cfafa0828e3d8d567e711bab.JPG

It was by chance a friend said he was going out for a drive to exercise one of his cars asking if I needed a hand. Yup, come on by.

IMG_8994.JPG.cb316af4792905b3041b1c50d88e0d2e.JPG

This can't be over soon enough... 

• Like 1

Looks great lots of work no doubt  .These are things that make workmanship stand out . 👍 Original looks like fab-ed from ,a malleable beam clamp thur hanger , of the plumbing style .

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Looks great lots of work no doubt  .These are things that make workmanship stand out . 👍 Original looks like fab-ed from ,a malleable beam clamp thur hanger , of the plumbing style .

I wanted to use a beam clamp originally, but I couldn't find a modern one that was close enough.

So after replacing the entire shift harness on the Cord,  replacing the interlock switch, rebuilding the clutch switch and selection switch,  I've narrowed things down to either me being an idiot, or the problem is actually in the solenoid bank.   I sleep at night knowing that all the previous work was probably worthwhile given the restoration was done over 50 years ago.

Then shifting to 3 or R with the interlock switch in the middle spot I should be seeing the vacuum gauge on the right showing 45 and I'm getting zilch.  Good vacuum on the left gauge going to 4th.

The positions of the shift lever are ,  Left side: 4th on top,  Middle:2nd on top, Neutral, 3rd on the bottom, Right: Reverse on top, 1st on the bottom.

IMG_8060.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I've narrowed things down to either me being an idiot, or the problem is actually in the solenoid bank.   

I propose we ask the membership to vote on the above choice......anyone want to lay odds on the final tally? I bet idiot wins by ten to one. 😜

Cant you feel the love?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
On 4/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, Trreinke said:

I wanted to use a beam clamp originally, but I couldn't find a modern one that was close enough.

Ebay . ( Junior Top Beam Clamp ) seem pretty close .

Holley 1-4psi fuel regulator...If its leaking fuel out the adjustment bolt the diaphragm is compromised! Don't try sealing up the bolt threads. They are on the dry side of the diaphragm.  Doh! Every day we learn something new is a good day.

IMG_8703.jpg

• Like 2