What are you working on right now?

Dealing with Mom's health issues I finally was able to make some progress on the garage tonight.

Short of a few pieces of panelling the wiring and cover are in place.

IMG_8370.thumb.JPG.03f66fb7aca02569b70607dd96914bb7.JPG

What does one do with front and rear bumpers when one is not ready to install on one's car?

I have installed hooks into the ceiling rafters to hang them out of the way till ready to deal with them.

IMG_8371.thumb.JPG.a7dcc3778b49befa726b09d15dda9c91.JPG

• Like 1

The garage work continues.

Still much to do but having put up about half the OSB on the ceiling I can soon concentrate on installing the overhead door tracks.

IMG_8378.thumb.JPG.d8bf784219997f1da9e2683c0cf3b44a.JPG

Wish it was work on the car but the goal is to finish cleaning up then getting back to the Limited.

• Like 1

50891577782_3aa677c8a3_c.jpg2021-01-30_01-21-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

50891461316_e8450363b4_c.jpg2021-01-30_01-21-38 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

50891578597_70e6f6bf53_c.jpg2021-01-30_01-21-47 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

50891416028_77aa14bbd5_c.jpg2021-01-30_05-11-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

This is the steering wheel collar. Stripped the original flaking wrinkle paint off. Heated the part a bit on my shop furnace, then sprayed with new wrinkle coat. Compared to the originals I have its hard to tell the difference. This stuff even impressed me!

• Like 7

My projects over the next two weekends are to build dollies for these. 2" x 2" on wheels.  

59641323440__68D56721-8F43-4C68-BD98-CF8D32D6137A.thumb.JPG.bb7339ed3b0f8284b6fe7684ff1fd8d5.JPG

IMG_6099.thumb.jpeg.5614d90c4a1bf9f53e32edf478c5c090.jpeg

And to take the transmission off of this.  Its rusted on....  like its been welded on.  ARRRGH!

IMG_6094.thumb.JPG.b0a6a23ef64e79a98e719df9d2f3defd.JPG

• Like 4

While spending evenings working on the garage at home I'm also in the process of cleaning out another garage where my other cars have been stored for going on 13 years needing to vacate soon. Today I fired up the Special to back her out a bit and gain access to the shelves easier. That went well and having done what I wanted to do dropped her into gear and put my foot on the gas pedal to move back inside. 

That didn't go well!

Something disconnected or broke in the linkage but was able to drop her into low idling back inside.

One more thing in the day of my life right now! 🤬

IMG_8410.thumb.JPG.afeadcce356d469ec22dc1d05032d0ab.JPG 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Small detour from working on my dollies, I received the new bolt kit so I started tearing it apart and cleaning it.  Lots of rust and debris, but should clean up well.   I haven’t ordered the rebuild kit yet, I wanted to order everything at once and wanted to find out what was needed. I bought a screw kit for my Stromberg 81 so I just doubled the order since I knew I would need them for this. Take a look at the pump, it’s rusted down to almost nothing.  I’ve already cleaned up the top a bit and have the upper butterfly soaking in rust remover. 

3A8E157B-D6A7-40DA-83C8-20CC60F02004.thumb.jpeg.1f57d22d4b5eb4c0edd04abfb95027d6.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, since the base where the accelerator pump sits is cracked, I’ve stopped working on that one and tore apart my Stromberg 81. It had been rebuilt and possibly never ran, but had dirt/dust in it from sitting for years.  It’s getting a good scrubbing and a soak in the carb cleaner bucket. 

42B890CF-B8AA-4C87-992D-45E388DDCD7A.thumb.jpeg.1f0a59aee42ea10dfb5be7c4ae0e67ed.jpeg

• Like 2

Firstly apologises to all the upholsterers out there. 😁

Today I began the steep learning curve of DIY car upholstery. I had a go at making the fender/mudguard welting/piping. I used a very flexible tonneau cover material and for the core a 5mm diameter Macrame cord.[its 90% cotton 10% polyester] I fitted a trial one to see what it looked like on the car with a bit of fine tuning it should be OK. 

Cheers Mark

IMGP6743.JPG

IMGP6744.JPG

IMGP6745.JPG

IMGP6746.JPG

IMGP6730.JPG

• Like 9

Last week I took delivery of a 1936 Buick coupe in serious need of structural wood. 

Ironically a few days later local gentleman came by to purchase some parts for his 1946 Ford.

During our visit he took note of the Buick, and mentioned that he owned a 1936 Cadillac in need of wood repair. 

Now I am tasked with replacement of the wood in both cars.

In typical GM style. the bodies have subtle differences in both metalwork and wood. 

Thankfully, together they provide sufficient details about the original construction processes making wood replacement possible 

If someone reading this happens to have a wood framed general motors coupe and is in need of replacement wood, send me a P.M. 

This is a job that may only happen once. 

IMG_20210207_210055_844.jpg

IMG_20210207_210055_823.jpg

• Like 4

With the cold weather outside and a fire in the fireplace, a quite evening was in order. My younger daughter gave me a tool cart for Christmas for the barn. It is black and I had already assembled it. We all like the some assembly required clause, do we. It hasn’t made it to my barn yet. I asked her to get some gold pin striping to help dress it up a little. When I got home tonight, she told me she had the strips ready. So after dinner, we started installing them. It only took a couple of hours to do all four sides. I think it came out quite well and was a good time working together on it. 

5471449F-6AF1-40F1-BEB1-02605989F432.jpeg

3D574E8B-4041-4206-9716-BAE3E2E2E0B5.jpeg

• Like 8

So I am new to this forum and excited in the idea of information exchange.

My father recently passed away and I became the owner of the family antique car. The car is a 1924 Star. It was fully restored about 30 years ago. This car was bought brand new by my great grandfather, also named John, and the title has never changed names. We have all of the original paperwork, title, registration, etc. for the car.

My goal with this car is to have it fully restored by 2024, in time for the cars 100th birthday. I'll post some pictures of it as soon as possible.

• Like 3

My father recently passed away and I became the owner of the family antique car. The car is a 1924 Star. It was fully restored about 30 years ago. This car was bought brand new by my great grandfather, also named John, and the title has never changed names. We have all of the original paperwork, title, registration, etc. for the car.

My goal with this car is to have it fully restored by 2024, in time for the cars 100th birthday. I'll post some pictures of it as soon as possible.

• Like 5

Todays project was finishing up the presentation for the new Lombard Log Hauler road for the Maine Forest & Logging Museum. One of my students and myself have been working on this for a couple of weeks. We used Civil 3D to develop the horizontal and vertical alignments and design documents and InfraWorks for the 3D model, flyover and renderings. 

930017905_Photo1.thumb.jpg.6747730aa33b4e7f2f07764e5d9dac6a.jpg

1684731388_snapshotnew3.thumb.jpg.a2a011ebb4f314d071ace913b6bc4c68.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/8/2021 at 11:28 PM, JohnB4242 said:

To have a single family the sole owner of a car is awesome, especially one of that age!!  My 1960 Bonneville has been in the family since new, but that's not too difficult since its only 60 years old.  I can't wait to see photos!!

• Like 2

Garage clean out continues and latest was to uncover my '52 Ford F1.

IMG_8460.thumb.JPG.5d2ec5fbe090fbe89a13ca4175b7a80c.JPG

Having sat for a long time it's going to be an effort to get it running but not in the works right now. Clearing stuff out of the way sorting/throwing out is priority for now.

• Like 3

My current "what I am working on" may possibly get the Most Boring award.. Karen's '07 Mini decided to kill it's own drivers side window motor. BAH ! The  REAL Mini ( 1963 ) under the sloppy cover has reliable sliding windows, ha !  My next project should be more satisfying as an order for a disc brake setup for my 55 Studebaker is in the mail headed my way !

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 3

As I continue to wait for my ‘38 Plymouth engine rebuild parts...Today I am helping my son get his M/C ready for spring. Time to reseal the front shocks. 

The 2-wheel work has reminded me how fun, simple, and rewarding the 2-wheels toys can be too. An old vintage motorcycle could also bring me a lot of joy. I may keep an eye out for one. 

9CBD8EF5-BC84-48D6-99BF-7569E5CE2588.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 2/8/2021 at 10:18 PM, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

With the cold weather outside and a fire in the fireplace, a quite evening was in order. My younger daughter gave me a tool cart for Christmas for the barn. It is black and I had already assembled it. We all like the some assembly required clause, do we. It hasn’t made it to my barn yet. I asked her to get some gold pin striping to help dress it up a little. When I got home tonight, she told me she had the strips ready. So after dinner, we started installing them. It only took a couple of hours to do all four sides. I think it came out quite well and was a good time working together on it. 

5471449F-6AF1-40F1-BEB1-02605989F432.jpeg

3D574E8B-4041-4206-9716-BAE3E2E2E0B5.jpeg

50946938831_8d053e5d80_c.jpg2021-02-15_12-23-07 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

That cart would look good in my garage!!

8 hours ago, nick8086 said:

My son worked on this today..

f.jpg

Ummmm.....  ehhhhh......   I'm thinking your son needs to change the fluid at a minimum.  I know that is some serious grime, but that almost looks like gravel aggregate in there.  

Today I decided to take a break from body work and have a go at making a new connection for one of the headlights. I was missing the part that the wires go in to, only had the outer bayonet housing that plugs into the rear of the headlight bucket. Found some 16mm diameter nylon rod that fitted inside the outer bayonet housing, I drilled two holes in the nylon to allow the wires to push through and used solder to make  contact points. I also filed a locating slot in the side of the nylon so it wont rotate inside the outer bayonet housing. That went so well I also replaced the 90 year old brittle and cracked internal wiring and cleaned up the socket for the globe inside the headlight as well.  Plugged it all together and by some miracle it worked.

Cheers Mark

IMGP6756.JPG

IMGP6759.JPG

IMGP6760.JPG

IMGP6763.JPG

IMGP6767.JPG

IMGP6768.JPG

IMGP6771.JPG

• Like 11

Today we installed the new distributor on the Green goddess along with new plugs. The beast is running much, much better. We took it for a spin around the museum grounds which was interesting to say the least. There is about 12" of snow but a very thick crust with the ground covered with a nice layer of ice. On sharp corners the beast would simply push the front wheels even at full lock. Needless to say my arms and shoulders got a good work out! Since the tracks would ride up on the crust a bit before breaking through it was a bit of a jiggly ride. If you watch the tracks closely you can see what I mean.

With the temp at a cozy 10 degrees and having been dormant for over two months we were surprised that the dump truck fired up almost instantaneous. - at least it would have been if I hadn't bumped the magneto switch! You have to be very quick on the choke and with the mag switch in danger close proximity I have fumbled it more than once. 

We also hiked the proposed location for the Lombard road. It looks very good and we found nothing terrain wise that would cause concern. When the weather turns warm (snow gone) the next step is staking out the alignment and getting the clearing going. 

https://youtu.be/a7ZeI77RsMM

2-18-21.thumb.jpg.8fdd092fc9471b5ba2448de67d478c57.jpg

2-18-21a.thumb.jpg.8cb9888a015fdc6d06bf51497f566d97.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Spring is coming. I changed the oil and filter today in my ‘53 Chrysler. She needs 13 quarts as the engine oil, and torque converter oil are shared.

The torque has a drain plug similar to the oil pan. You just have to spin the torque around to get the plug to the bottom. I assume they added weight 180 degrees from the plug to balance the torque. 

I put about 7 quarts into the engine oil pan. Then I start up the engine. The oil pump proceeds to refill the torque. I watch the oil pressure gauge. As soon as I see a blip I shut off the engine. I add about another 4 quarts. I Flash up the engine again, idle it for a minute or two.  Then finally adding about 1 more quart brings the oil up to the fill mark on the dip stick and the level stabilizes. 

A 5 gallon pail of oil is lower priced than buying multiple 1 gallon jugs. Then leftover oil leaves me with about 1-2 year’s worth of top up oil. She leaks and burns some. So the big pail works for me! It can be a bit of a bear to manipulate 5 gallons. I do the oil and filter about once every 16-18 months. 

Dealing with this amount of oil and also my family’s other cars, I set myself up with a Mity-vac. It is an oil suction or pump system with about a 9 quart reservoir.  It allows me to cleanly suck oil out of larger drain pans, (or directly from engine sump pans) and pump it easily into other sealed containers for transport. No mess. Works well! I like it and recommend. I don’t generally use the mityvac system to pump clean oil into a component. Too much dirty oil and contamination to try and clean out of it. 

ED0E6298-5102-4243-A175-B89BB0B2C3CF.jpeg

9039F7FC-EF6B-4DCA-B903-428CE65C2DDC.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Today I made a headlight plug for my Chrysler. Its amazing what you can make with a couple of small nails a bit of nylon rod and steel tubing out of the scrap bin.😁

Just have to knurl the rear part of the housing that protrudes out of the headlight bucket, that will  have to wait until  I go to work, no lathe at home.

cheers Mark

IMGP6774.JPG

IMGP6773.JPG

IMGP6781.JPG

IMGP6778.JPG

IMGP6780.JPG

IMGP6783.JPG

IMGP6786.JPG

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

I've been working on building a 18' long by 7' tall shelving for the garage to put all the boxes of crap and car parts on. I need to make some room in the garage.

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

I did a job about this time last year of which the homeowner (divorced lady) had a large home depot shelving system in the way. She said I could have it, she no longer had any use for it. After putting it up in my shop and loading up, she let me know her ex wanted 'his' shelf back!  I unloaded, and in the meantime built a replacement out of plywood and 2 bys. I set the pieces on her driveway. We continued with work at her house for about another month. At which time the shelf was still there. When we finished she had us take it away, again. It has found a permanent home in my barn.

The weather has been great. Finished fabing up the rack yesterday afternoon. Installed it this morning. Went in like a charm. Then came organizing and loading it. With all the boxes and car stuff in the garage it still didn't make a dent in the space on the new rack. I still have more moving around the car pieces that are just laying on the shelves. We both got tired by the end of the day. We will hit it more tomorrow. My wife told me "Why didn't we do this years ago?" :rolleyes:

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6354.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

The weather has been great. Finished fabing up the rack yesterday afternoon. Installed it this morning. Went in like a charm. Then came organizing and loading it. With all the boxes and car stuff in the garage it still didn't make a dent in the space on the new rack. I still have more moving around the car pieces that are just laying on the shelves. We both got tired by the end of the day. We will hit it more tomorrow. My wife told me "Why didn't we do this years ago?" :rolleyes:

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6354.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

No disrespect intended but that won't take long to rectify...

(ask me how I know - LOL)