Sign in to follow this  
TTR

Exhaust system producer/supplier recommendation needed

Looking for a OEM quality producer-supplier (not retailers or vendors) of complete exhaust system for a 1950's American made vehicle with dual exhaust.

Decades ago I got few sets from a mail order producer in FL if I recall correctly, name started with "K", but their product fit was beyond joke.

After that found and used a local guy who could fabricate beautiful sets that look as good or better than OEM, but unfortunately lost him for cancer years ago.

While there are several "muffler shops" around here, none are qualified enough to work on used wheelbarrows, let alone vintage cars.

So basically looking for recommendations from those with "high volume, professional experiences".

Quality and good fit (out of the box) is far more important than price. I don't wish to spend hours upon hours re-fitting/modifying everything to make them look and work good.

I get to do enough of that with $20K+ OEM-type replacement exhaust systems for vintage Ferraris, etc. 😞

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, TTR said:

Decades ago I got few sets from a mail order producer in FL if I recall correctly, name started with "K", but their product fit was beyond joke.

"K" is still out there with his signature handiwork. My experience was around 1986 when I ordered a complete system and only got a cobbed muffler made with the sheetmetal from a heavy duty foundry wheelbarrow bucket. The last time I called a helper answered the phone. He set the phone down and went for Mr. "K". I heard footsteps come up, then hang up the phone.

King and Queen Exhaust in Plumsteadsville, Pa. have done a real good job bending for me. Part of the system on my '64 Riviera was made by them over 20 years ago. Generally I try to catch manufactured NORS pieces on Ebay and stockpile them. Jolly John on the forum has provided some NOS, thank you, John.

I even drove from Rochester, NY toLes Flaisher's house around the corner from Woodward Ave to get some long '60 Electra NROS pipes he listed on Craigslist Thanks Les. Patience will get some nice stuff.

Bernie

Give Martin Johnson at MJ  antique exhaust a call.

Tel: 231-723-5343,

Mobile: 231-620-9354

Hard to believe but the best product, with good lead time. at a very reasonable price. I've had Martin call me with a question before fabrication to make sure it was correctly made. Very complicated, numerous bends, multiple pipes, fit perfectly........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've used both Waldron's and Classic Exhaust with good results. It depends on the application but they both have pretty extensive libraries.

25 years ago had waldron's do a 32 Plymouth,,,,,,met him at hershey         guaranteed he had the original at shop    gave him the money     when I got the system it was way out,,,I called him,--------,got angry at me  and was told I needed to take to a muffler shop to have it corrected  !!!!!!!!!       he used to advertise in OLD CARS    told him I would send letter to OLD CARS and complain ,,,,,his wife contacted me and apologized and told me to put on porch and they would pick up and refund money,,,,,,,,,,then used one in Florida        maybe Keplitch,,,,   again it was not correct after a call they picked up and corrected the pipe and it fit and is on car today--------a real pain !!!!!!

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

I used Waldron's for the stainless dual exhaust for my 51 Ford F1. Fit was very good to excellent. I did have to cut and reweld the fitting at the passenger side exhaust manifold because the angle was slightly off. Might have been my fault-as this truck did not come stock with dual exhaust, the passenger side manifold was, IIRC, off of a different Ford, and I may have given Waldron's the wrong part number. It was no big deal-took me 5 minutes to cut off the flange and grind the end of the pipe to the correct angle. I did not have a TIG setup, so I took it to an exhaust shop around the corner and they TIG'ed it for $15.00.

Anyway, it fit nicely and sounds great.

Just my experience.

313620123_StainlessSteelDualExhaustParts2.thumb.jpg.2adbf4d8325f9a42380022329b74bffa.jpg164333613_StainlessSteelDualExhaustSystemCompletedInstallation.thumb.jpg.6b11e0d20bc6e9a919952e7bf666644f.jpg164333613_StainlessSteelDualExhaustSystemCompletedInstallation.thumb.jpg.6b11e0d20bc6e9a919952e7bf666644f.jpg923534545_StainlessSteelDualExhaustSystemCustomBracketsandMounts1.thumb.jpg.854c2c924a4d9b5b2b3e3f241551d503.jpg 

Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust Parts 3.jpg

Edited by 64avanti (see edit history)

I,ve used a few, usally needing lots of rework,cutting,welding.  

I used martin for my 55 olds, 56 chrysler and 69 big block vette. No hassle bolt ins every time.....bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I also used Martin Johnson on Bob's (Bhigdog) recommendation for a complete system for my '65 Corvette.

I have to say, the work was excellent and his price was very affordable. Even shipping cost was reasonable. I will certainly use him again. Thanks again Bob, for the link to a great guy (and thanks for jogging my memory!)

Greg

• Thanks 1

134.thumb.jpg.eabb67940c42a557c34aa4da9085c996.jpg

Every time my expectations are met someone calls me a cynic.

That is not the system on my car today.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I have a father son exhaust shop just a few blocks from me.

The father trained his son well.

I came up with this idea and it works perfectly.

IM003578.JPG

IM003579.JPG

IM003580.JPG

IM003581.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:58 PM, broker-len said:

25 years ago had waldron's do a 32 Plymouth,,,,,,met him at hershey         guaranteed he had the original at shop    gave him the money     when I got the system it was way out,,,I called him,--------,got angry at me  and was told I needed to take to a muffler shop to have it corrected  !!!!!!!!!       he used to advertise in OLD CARS    told him I would send letter to OLD CARS and complain ,,,,,his wife contacted me and apologized and told me to put on porch and they would pick up and refund money,,,,,,,,,,then used one in Florida        maybe Keplitch,,,,   again it was not correct after a call they picked up and corrected the pipe and it fit and is on car today--------a real pain !!!!!!

I'm surprised about Waldron's.  We've used them several times and never had a problem.