Forum rules

Bhigdog

Looks like the 25+, mostly original, guide lines have been affirmed. I agree with that criteria.

I'm somewhat amazed that one isolated case could have gotten the forum so off into the weeds.

I also hope that a new ubber strict interpretation by the moderators will not get out of hand.

A little common sense and the occasional bit of "lee way" would be best for all.

Just sayin...........Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I wonder what the new direction really means.

From " automotive history of all types." to "how the industry (does that include SEMA) did it." Wonder if the Fitch Phoenix or a Fordillac are still Kosher.

What's next ? Nothing after 1970 ? What do members think ? Does this apply to sub forums ? Would eliminate many marque posts on how to fix problems when factory parts are unobtanium.

YWTK (1951)

ps have been a car phreak since 1957. Have rarely had a car that stayed as delivered for long (aftermarket radios were a lot cheaper than the factory option). Still means I remember quite a bit about how the factories were run and what went on in the late n60s and 70s. What many think of as stock had an entirely different meaning in 1970 (like the "factory built" bumper on my Buick GS (available on Chev and Pontiac and I liked the way it looked. Of course that was in 1970 so the rules were different then.

buicknose.jpg

• Like 1

"Discussion of modified vehicles will be removed including: street rods, hot rods or similar vehicles."

The moderators will clearly have to exercise some judgment regarding what constitutes "modified".  If holding to the letter of the rule, discussions of 12 volt conversions, use of radial tires, discussions of Speedsters,  Ardun heads etc. will be removed from the forum.   At this point, I trust that the moderators will be "moderate" in their actions.  With that said, this is an AACA Forum ... their rules.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Folks, please!!!!  Common sense WILL be the rule of the day!  We just reaffirmed, tightened up the criteria.  Our moderators hopefully will make sensible decisions and maintain the SPIRIT of what we are trying to accomplish with our forums.  We will not always be perfect in our decisions but at least everyone now should be clear about what our forums are all about.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Two of the things I like about this forum are the Moderators who make sensible decisions and the participants who post without malicious intent.  We don't always agree, but the participants (Moderators & Posters both) in this Forum seem to be able to disagree in an agreeable manner.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Steve Moskowitz stated that very well, thank you Steve. "We just reaffirmed , tightened up the criteria" "at least everyone now should be clear about what our forums are all about". that pretty much makes it clear in simple words .

Walt

• Like 2

Rational Discussion is the basis for any forum. My personal expertise is electrical and mechanical systems and here on keeping cars on the road. If the original part is unobtanium and something else will work (and within budget constraints - it has always been my hobby and not my livelyhood and while slightly out of "odd" and into "eccentric" my prime concern has always been safe drivability which includes what I consider essentials (all of my cars have hands-free capability).

That said I personally hate to drill a hole and keep the removed parts (even when disfunctional) in big baggies (why my garage could be an archaeological dig).  My choices are personal and often my first question of someone is "do you want to keep it stock or for it to work and be serviceable".

Have made many comments on this mainly because I feel the AACA is at a tipping point. I hope the focus stays on enjoyment and drivability on a reasonable budget rather than show cars (and I have never seen a show car I could not see something non-factory. Most owners agree.

So time for a decision since the point has been brought up, to change the original intent of the club from driving and enjoyment with some moving competition ( see here ) or have were reached an era of newspeak.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capngrog said:

"Discussion of modified vehicles will be removed including: street rods, hot rods or similar vehicles."

The moderators will clearly have to exercise some judgment regarding what constitutes "modified".  If holding to the letter of the rule, discussions of 12 volt conversions, use of radial tires, discussions of Speedsters,  Ardun heads etc. will be removed from the forum.   At this point, I trust that the moderators will be "moderate" in their actions.  With that said, this is an AACA Forum ... their rules.

Cheers,

Grog

Many of the above mentioned items are on CERTIFIED RACE CARS in class 24A and they have graced the show field at Hershey. Bob 

Bob, as a certified race car owner and a member of the class judging committee I can assure you that this forum will not delete posts about cars in our judging guidelines nor cars with modifications allowed for our DPC class.  Again, we will use  common sense!!  As a certain Packer quarterback said last year R-E-L-A-X !!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Interesting, I wonder what the new direction really means.

From " automotive history of all types." to "how the industry (does that include SEMA) did it." Wonder if the Fitch Phoenix or a Fordillac are still Kosher.

What's next ? Nothing after 1970 ? What do members think ? Does this apply to sub forums ? Would eliminate many marque posts on how to fix problems when factory parts are unobtanium.

YWTK (1951)

There is no "new direction".  It was a clarification of the direction that the club has been in for its entire existence.

• Like 8

We have a class for garbage trucks (Ardun heads) ?

Is funny, at one time I generated an article outlining exactly how hard it was to make a car exactly "as it left the factory" (which factory/assembly plant, on what day). For example "on what day in the early 70s did GM 140 mph speedos switch to 120 and why ?

My feeling is that for some there is this glorified factory in the sky that could do no wrong when the actuality (I was in on the muscle car era) was often "whatever will keep the assembly lines rolling". One bin of alternators is empty, grab some from the other line. EPA finds something rong, slipstream in the fix. To be accurate just for Reattas (20,000 in five model years), I have about 10 feet of GM publications about half that are just TSBs (technical service bulletins) on changes during the model year. Barney has more.

Thanks to a few Pontiac employees who rescued microfilm slated for destruction we know how every Pontiac since 1959 was supposed to be built. Doubt that anyone judges to that level (when were FMVSS labels required ?) or is that what the club wants ? Would take about four hours to properly judge a car. I'd rather be driving.

6 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Dose that mean we can not talk about the latest legislation to keep old cars off the road?  How about new technologies I use in my old cars like full synthetic oils?  How about the latest round of ethanol fuel?  GPS (use those for my cars that the speedometer is not correct) and I install USB ports on my 6 volt cars for my phone.

Just saying, love my old cars and all the topics.  As long as the topics are constructive... if we are not interested they just die anyway.

Legislation related to old cars is a viable topic. Not a clue how you would think otherwise.

Has there been any discussion among the moderators and administrators on how the new rule changes should be applied? 

To be honest I find the changes confusing.  Members were asked to agree to the updated rules that made a firm statement that modified cars weren't really welcomed here and now we are told to relax because no meaningful changes have been made.  Maybe a clarification statement is in order to let people like me that own cars with some modifications that would prevent it from being judged know where we stand.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Has there been any discussion among the moderators and administrators on how the new rule changes should be applied? 

To be honest I find the changes confusing.  Members were asked to agree to the updated rules that made a firm statement that modified cars weren't really welcomed here and now we are told to relax because no meaningful changes have been made.  Maybe as clarification statement is in order to let people like me that own cars with some modifications that would prevent it from being judged know where we stand.

Nothing has changed.  The direction of this forum has always been the same. The updated rules simply clarify things.  Let's not blow this up to being something bigger than it is.  If you really feel you need some clarity then pick up the phone and call me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Nothing has changed.  The direction of this forum has always been the same. The updated rules simply clarify things.  Let's not blow this up to being something bigger than it is.  If you really feel you need some clarity then pick up the phone and call me.

Thanks Peter. If nothing has changed there is no reason for me to call. I was just wondering if moderators had received some new instructions that I didn't know about.

2 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Pretty funny...sorry and now your opinion of me is going to change.  Chicago Bear fan! 🙂  30 plus years living in the Chicago area and had the pleasure of working with some of the players.  It is also home of the world's finest pizza!   Oops, going off topic

OFF TOPIC! Don't make me ban you! Cause I'll do it! 😷🥳🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I love how these things take wings.  

It's not a complicated formula.

This forum is about original cars.  If you want to discuss something that's not original, then there are plenty of places on the ether to do that.

Sheesh. 

Oh, sorry, I recently posted about modern towing.  I'm going to the bathroom mirror to watch me slap myself, I did wrong...but then again, "towing" is not strictly an antique car topic...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The attached picture is at first confusing, and might at a casual glance seem to be cannon fodder with which to jeopardize my good standing with my beloved AACA. See, someone might think, just because I am among those who consider Frank Pepe's to be the pizza against which all others must be judged, that I am fanning the flames of deviancy here. Not so. Others might notice that the pictured car is a 2014 Cadillac. And you know what THAT means. No, I know very well it is not 25 years old. It is not the car, nor is it the pizza which just happens to be framed in the field. Actually, this has to do with Hershey. I had rented that AWD Cadillac, brand spanking new at the time, to take me to the deluge of the 2013 Hershey. Flying in and out of Newark, my favorite tomato pie joint was handy in New Haven, CT on the way into and then again on the outbound leg from Hershey. Speaking of legs, mine are no longer capable of a proper Hershey. I need to go one more time. This time I think I will just slink around the corral, and catch the show. I hope I can make 2021. Believe it or not, 1/2 that 2 sided pie, 1/4 and 1/4, made it back to Seattle for Sandy. She doesn't get around like she used to either. And sadly, she has never been to Hershey.  -   CC 

E9916999-B853-40D1-AFA2-AF19F3611DFF.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Clarify logistics - Thanks, Bob ! (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Ah, the perfect accompaniment to a wonderful Hershey experience.  You need your calories to get around in the swap meet - Susan wore her fitbit again this year and logged over 30 miles, taking great pride in having walked by every space. Some people walk down the middle and get dizzy looking at both sides - she walks down one way, then back the other.  I reap the benefits - she snaps cell phone pics of goodies and while I'm at the booth having too much fun, I can still find goodies thanks to her eyes.  Ah-the wonders of technology!

Speaking of Pizza, the best I've ever had was in a small brick-oven pizzeria in Catania, Sicily.  Oddly enough, it was call "The Texas Pizzeria." 

Not to deviate too far from the original topic here, it was back in the beginning of time (AACA Time that is) for me.  There I was, a newly elected AACA Director, when Past President Ron Barnett pulled me aside and said he was creating an "Internet Committee" and he was going to have me work with a couple of other directors on it.  That project produced the Webmaster Awards, and among other things, our first ever meeting of Moderators at Philadelphia during the AACA Annual Meeting (Convention).  One of the topics of the day was how to control some of the brick-throwing, uncivil, political, general rants and raves we were seeing on the forums.  We laid some ground rules and tried various things over the ensuing years including creating a "rants and raves" area of the forum, then kicking that to a "basement" area where only the ranters and ravers could play among themselves.  It's been interesting to see it evolve, but periodically, we do need to remind everyone of the basics, and I'm pleased at what's been done with this. 

I'm still looking forward to all the fun on a focused forum and thanks Steve, Peter, and all the moderators (now and past) for doing their best to keep things civil, interesting, and in keeping with our club mission.

Let the season begin!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so a lot of Sicilians moved to Chicago.  At least everyone I met there asked "I have a friend in Chicago, do you know him?"

Terry

18 hours ago, C Carl said:

The attached picture is at first confusing, and might at a casual glance seem to be cannon fodder with which to jeopardize my good standing with my beloved AACA. See, someone might think, just because I am among those who consider Frank Pepe's to be the pizza against which all others must be judged, that I am fanning the flames of deviancy here. Not so. Others might notice that the pictured car is a 2014 Cadillac. And you know what THAT means. No, I know very well it is not 25 years old. It is not the car, nor is it the pizza which just happens to be framed in the field. Actually, this has to do with Hershey. I had rented that AWD Cadillac, brand spanking new at the time, to take me to the deluge of the 2013 Hershey. In and out of Newark, my favorite tomato pie joint was handy on the inbound and outbound legs. Speaking of legs, mine are no longer capable of a proper Hershey. I need to go one more time. This time I think I will just slink around the corral, and catch the show. I hope I can make 2021. Believe it or not, 1/2 that 2 sided pie, 1/4 and 1/4, made it back to Seattle for Sandy. She doesn't get around like she used to either. And sadly, she has never been to Hershey.  -   CC 

E9916999-B853-40D1-AFA2-AF19F3611DFF.jpeg

Looks like someone already ate it...............Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Looks like someone already ate it...............Bob

Well maybe, Bob. But just like snowflakes, every Frank Pepe pizza is unique. Hand tossed, and cooked quickly in a very high temperature coal fired oven, that oven being the same one which has cooked those pies since 1925. That production technique does, indeed, produce some asymmetry to a greater or lesser degree. Part of the charm. Imagine if every pie were a perfect circular disc, each one a cookie cutter duplicate version of every other one. I guess a machine could be programmed to do that. I'm here to tell you  that seconds after this picture was taken, I got into said delicacy. Sampled each side, and lit out for the Tappan Zee Bridge on my why to Newark. Returned the Cadillac, ate a bit more, and carefully and thoroughly wrapped the remains for transcontinental delivery to Sandy. She didn't know what was coming, but what a wonderful surprise for her ! We had been to Pepes many years earlier.

In order to comply with the spirit and purpose of AACA, I will encourage all who read this to imagine what spectacular NEW cars must have pulled up to 157 Wooster St., New Haven, CT back in the '20s and'30s.

Drive your OLD car there. Ample parking.   www.pepespizzeria.com.  Tell 'em you were sent by :   -  Cadillac Carl 

I'm very impressed with the moderators here. They actually took a poll to see what forum members thought about something a week ago. This contradicted the accusations that they were engaging in censorship. I've never felt uncomfortable here, despite having vehicles that are not up to AACA quality. I'm also appreciative of the advice and help of all the people who do have vehicles at that level or commensurate experience/knowledge. Thanks to you all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

I think you all better agree Chicago pizza is the best!  
😳

I was born and raised in Waukegan and remember driving 40 miles to eat at Pizzeria Uno in Chicago because of their outstanding deep dish pizza. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

Deep dish what ?

Sadly, I have not been "home" since late Sept. - early Oct. of 2012. I had to go back to help my step-grandmother with a "problem" she was having with an automobile insurance company. You can see her in the first picture with "The Doll", a.k.a. "The Devil With the Blue Dress on". To give that devil seldom deserved credit, I could not have made the trip without her. But that is another story, we had a very good time. I'll get back to this shortly.

The significance of the second picture is only to present credentials. That is The Midway looking East, as any South-Sider knows. I was born in a hospital just across the street behind the tree line to the far left back in nineteen and forty-four. Couple blocks farther to the left is E. 57th street.

The third picture indemnifies me against any charges of misappropriation of AACA forums into irrelevant rot. That picture is at the East end of E. 57th street, approaching the Museum of Science and Industry. There is only one person on Earth who would be able to identify the now "Antique Car" I am driving on that unusually warm early Fall late afternoon. Since I am sure he has several other pressing issues to deal with, I shall relieve the identity sleuth of the responsibility of identifying my evidence. I hope the moderators recognize that this is a 1990 Cadillac 60 Special. My step-grandmother's car. Dark blue with matching leather. See, it only had 60,000 miles on it. Lived all its life in the heated garage of The Edgewater up on Sheridan. NEVER driven in the Winter, Angelica always Wintered in Chile where she was born. So it was in extraordinarily good condition. ZERO rust. IN CHICAGO !!!!!!!!!! And therein was the basis of the insurance "problem". Angelica had been insured for 22 years with the same company. By this time, the comprehensive insurance she was carrying might have been considered overkill. First time in her entire life she ever presented a claim to her insurance company. They wanted to devalue the Cadillac, total it, and give her a fraction of the repair bill. No real BIG deal, but you know..............  And I always welcome the opportunity to come to the aid of a damsel in distress. Especially if she is my grandmother. I was diligent, provided the insurance company everything they asked for, and proved my case. It was a little more dramatic than that, and became somewhat fun. We were granted an audience with a potentate way high up in the executive level of the insurance building. (You shouldda seen the security we had to go through !). Anyway, exec. listened carefully, and promised to research the relevance of the name I dropped. Payment in full was delivered forthwith.

"Devil Doll" got to experience a Chicago tourists never touch. And we ate well. And I gotta 'fess-up. We did Uno. Now, I was gonna say something which could possibly lead to a confrontational situation with my very own esteemed forum friends. Deep dish vs. traditional Pizza Napolitano verges on the animosity level of our lamentably polarized society. So let me say that I don't really care very much what  anybody else eats, or who they vote for. We are all friends here, and rightly so. But my dad was born in Chicago in 1915, and he hung out with plenty of "Sigilianos" and "Napolitanos". Uh, wait a minute I was just about to refer to my initial question, but decorum and high regard for my friends here leads me to leave the subject hanging.

To present a food subject upon which we can all agree, this is a perfect segue to the fourth picture. Ever heard of a "Seattle Dog" ? Huh ? No ? Got cream cheese on it ? Sheeeeeeee....................  !!!!!!   Ever been to this pictured dog joint there in Chicago on Clark Street ? If "momma" is in the window, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING YOUR CHILDREN IN THERE. Ever had a Chicago cop pull you over and cuss you out, but give you a pass on the ticket ? I LOVE that particular form of punishment. By comparison with THIS "doggy doll", that Chicago cop speaks The Queen's English. Now, my "doll" and I had absolutely no idea whatsoever what was going on the in there. We just wanted to eat some legitimate Chicago sausages. We just walked in from the street. Evidently, this is somewhat of a tourist attraction. The customer is taking a video, as are others. I sure don't think I need a model release to post this picture. I bet "momma" wishes I had a sound track to go with it ! So if I was starting to come close to fanning the flames of a pizza war, I think we can all agree on "Chicago Dogs". Riiiiight ?       -     Cadillac Carl 

916A505A-53B9-4902-A6B6-66F9F5F906B8.jpeg

79F6412A-9E74-44BC-9FEC-9498E35BEEEA.jpeg

5E7021FE-8E57-4635-9B69-C2496F7DEBDB.jpeg

DC09AFBA-BF59-4C6E-B314-B8E207CC37FA.jpeg