Bhigdog

Forum rules

Looks like the 25+, mostly original, guide lines have been affirmed. I agree with that criteria.

I'm somewhat amazed that one isolated case could have gotten the forum so off into the weeds.

I also hope that a new ubber strict interpretation by the moderators will not get out of hand.

A little common sense and the occasional bit of "lee way" would be best for all.

Just sayin...........Bob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I never read the posts by the "Squeaking wheel", but I'm glad he got banned. I'm not a huge fan of the 10 year old and newer topics either. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Interesting, I wonder what the new direction really means.

From " automotive history of all types." to "how the industry (does that include SEMA) did it." Wonder if the Fitch Phoenix or a Fordillac are still Kosher.

What's next ? Nothing after 1970 ? What do members think ? Does this apply to sub forums ? Would eliminate many marque posts on how to fix problems when factory parts are unobtanium.

YWTK (1951)

ps have been a car phreak since 1957. Have rarely had a car that stayed as delivered for long (aftermarket radios were a lot cheaper than the factory option). Still means I remember quite a bit about how the factories were run and what went on in the late n60s and 70s. What many think of as stock had an entirely different meaning in 1970 (like the "factory built" bumper on my Buick GS (available on Chev and Pontiac and I liked the way it looked. Of course that was in 1970 so the rules were different then.

buicknose.jpg

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Have you been following Tesla stock recently Bob? It got close to $900. You need an iPhone and a Tesla.

The world would end the following day.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

"Discussion of modified vehicles will be removed including: street rods, hot rods or similar vehicles."

The moderators will clearly have to exercise some judgment regarding what constitutes "modified".  If holding to the letter of the rule, discussions of 12 volt conversions, use of radial tires, discussions of Speedsters,  Ardun heads etc. will be removed from the forum.   At this point, I trust that the moderators will be "moderate" in their actions.  With that said, this is an AACA Forum ... their rules.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Folks, please!!!!  Common sense WILL be the rule of the day!  We just reaffirmed, tightened up the criteria.  Our moderators hopefully will make sensible decisions and maintain the SPIRIT of what we are trying to accomplish with our forums.  We will not always be perfect in our decisions but at least everyone now should be clear about what our forums are all about.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Two of the things I like about this forum are the Moderators who make sensible decisions and the participants who post without malicious intent.  We don't always agree, but the participants (Moderators & Posters both) in this Forum seem to be able to disagree in an agreeable manner.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Steve Moskowitz stated that very well, thank you Steve. "We just reaffirmed , tightened up the criteria" "at least everyone now should be clear about what our forums are all about". that pretty much makes it clear in simple words .

Walt

• Like 3

Rational Discussion is the basis for any forum. My personal expertise is electrical and mechanical systems and here on keeping cars on the road. If the original part is unobtanium and something else will work (and within budget constraints - it has always been my hobby and not my livelyhood and while slightly out of "odd" and into "eccentric" my prime concern has always been safe drivability which includes what I consider essentials (all of my cars have hands-free capability).

That said I personally hate to drill a hole and keep the removed parts (even when disfunctional) in big baggies (why my garage could be an archaeological dig).  My choices are personal and often my first question of someone is "do you want to keep it stock or for it to work and be serviceable".

Have made many comments on this mainly because I feel the AACA is at a tipping point. I hope the focus stays on enjoyment and drivability on a reasonable budget rather than show cars (and I have never seen a show car I could not see something non-factory. Most owners agree.

So time for a decision since the point has been brought up, to change the original intent of the club from driving and enjoyment with some moving competition ( see here ) or have were reached an era of newspeak.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, capngrog said:

"Discussion of modified vehicles will be removed including: street rods, hot rods or similar vehicles."

The moderators will clearly have to exercise some judgment regarding what constitutes "modified".  If holding to the letter of the rule, discussions of 12 volt conversions, use of radial tires, discussions of Speedsters,  Ardun heads etc. will be removed from the forum.   At this point, I trust that the moderators will be "moderate" in their actions.  With that said, this is an AACA Forum ... their rules.

Cheers,

Grog

Many of the above mentioned items are on CERTIFIED RACE CARS in class 24A and they have graced the show field at Hershey. Bob 

2 hours ago, padgett said:

( see here

Very interesting.  Thank you padgett for including this.  I for one had no idea of the leadup to the AACA's founding.

Bob, as a certified race car owner and a member of the class judging committee I can assure you that this forum will not delete posts about cars in our judging guidelines nor cars with modifications allowed for our DPC class.  Again, we will use  common sense!!  As a certain Packer quarterback said last year R-E-L-A-X !!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Interesting, I wonder what the new direction really means.

From " automotive history of all types." to "how the industry (does that include SEMA) did it." Wonder if the Fitch Phoenix or a Fordillac are still Kosher.

What's next ? Nothing after 1970 ? What do members think ? Does this apply to sub forums ? Would eliminate many marque posts on how to fix problems when factory parts are unobtanium.

YWTK (1951)

There is no "new direction".  It was a clarification of the direction that the club has been in for its entire existence.

• Like 9

We have a class for garbage trucks (Ardun heads) ?

Is funny, at one time I generated an article outlining exactly how hard it was to make a car exactly "as it left the factory" (which factory/assembly plant, on what day). For example "on what day in the early 70s did GM 140 mph speedos switch to 120 and why ?

My feeling is that for some there is this glorified factory in the sky that could do no wrong when the actuality (I was in on the muscle car era) was often "whatever will keep the assembly lines rolling". One bin of alternators is empty, grab some from the other line. EPA finds something rong, slipstream in the fix. To be accurate just for Reattas (20,000 in five model years), I have about 10 feet of GM publications about half that are just TSBs (technical service bulletins) on changes during the model year. Barney has more.

Thanks to a few Pontiac employees who rescued microfilm slated for destruction we know how every Pontiac since 1959 was supposed to be built. Doubt that anyone judges to that level (when were FMVSS labels required ?) or is that what the club wants ? Would take about four hours to properly judge a car. I'd rather be driving.

6 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Dose that mean we can not talk about the latest legislation to keep old cars off the road?  How about new technologies I use in my old cars like full synthetic oils?  How about the latest round of ethanol fuel?  GPS (use those for my cars that the speedometer is not correct) and I install USB ports on my 6 volt cars for my phone.

Just saying, love my old cars and all the topics.  As long as the topics are constructive... if we are not interested they just die anyway.

Legislation related to old cars is a viable topic. Not a clue how you would think otherwise.

• Like 1

Has there been any discussion among the moderators and administrators on how the new rule changes should be applied? 

To be honest I find the changes confusing.  Members were asked to agree to the updated rules that made a firm statement that modified cars weren't really welcomed here and now we are told to relax because no meaningful changes have been made.  Maybe a clarification statement is in order to let people like me that own cars with some modifications that would prevent it from being judged know where we stand.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Based on my understanding, the rules didn't actually change. So, carry on as it has been. Correct? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Has there been any discussion among the moderators and administrators on how the new rule changes should be applied? 

To be honest I find the changes confusing.  Members were asked to agree to the updated rules that made a firm statement that modified cars weren't really welcomed here and now we are told to relax because no meaningful changes have been made.  Maybe as clarification statement is in order to let people like me that own cars with some modifications that would prevent it from being judged know where we stand.

Nothing has changed.  The direction of this forum has always been the same. The updated rules simply clarify things.  Let's not blow this up to being something bigger than it is.  If you really feel you need some clarity then pick up the phone and call me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Nothing has changed.  The direction of this forum has always been the same. The updated rules simply clarify things.  Let's not blow this up to being something bigger than it is.  If you really feel you need some clarity then pick up the phone and call me.

Thanks Peter. If nothing has changed there is no reason for me to call. I was just wondering if moderators had received some new instructions that I didn't know about.

I’ve never met Steve but he must be a sensible, knowledgeable, with it guy if he quotes a Green Bay quarterback!  Hopefully he is also a Packer fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty funny...sorry and now your opinion of me is going to change.  Chicago Bear fan! 🙂  30 plus years living in the Chicago area and had the pleasure of working with some of the players.  It is also home of the world's finest pizza!   Oops, going off topic

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Pretty funny...sorry and now your opinion of me is going to change.  Chicago Bear fan! 🙂  30 plus years living in the Chicago area and had the pleasure of working with some of the players.  It is also home of the world's finest pizza!   Oops, going off topic

OFF TOPIC! Don't make me ban you! Cause I'll do it! 😷🥳🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I grew up in Chicago - George Halas threw nickels around like they were sewer covers!  

Chicago pizza is great and impossible to match in other areas

please don’t ban me I enjoy all of the old cars too much 

Being a Minnesotan, I would be glad to talk with folks about the Viking auto made by Oldsmobile from '29 to '31. Have any of you ever seen a purple one?

I don’t think they sell those in Title Town! 

• Haha 1