Rivi 66 , vibration at 30 mph

hubert FRACKOWIAK

High everybody ,

I' m writing you from France  .

I am the owner of a very nice 66 Rivi I have restaured 7 years ago ..

I have a new trouble with it , since I have changed the Universal u joint and the propeller shaft bearing and support .

I can feel a vibration , not in the wheel but in the seat .

This vibration appears at 30 mph and disappears at 35. It is present in all circumstances, in charge, in deceleration, in neutral.

Constant velocity kit are both new , I have torque all bolt at good value , I check the yoke phase ...

At other speed , it is perfect .

Any idea ?

14 minutes ago, hubert FRACKOWIAK said:

sorry , I don't know why but it is very hard to find in France a workshop able to do this job .

Don't you think that if it was a balancing trouble , the shaft would vibrate at almost all speed ?

Not uncommon to have a vibration at different speeds and not all speeds.

Even the best mechanic can get them out of phase occasionally.  In the dealership where I worked in the 60's we had one man who only did u-joints.  He did half a dozen or more every day and every few years he would mess up and get one out of phase.  We only had one guy in the shop that had no comebacks (general mechanic with no papers who mic'd everything) and a tune up guy that only had one  or two comebacks a year.  Everyone else had up to 5% comebacks.

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

Even the best mechanic can get them out of phase occasionally.  In the dealership where I worked in the 60's we had one man who only did u-joints.  He did half a dozen or more every day and every few years he would mess up and get one out of phase.  We only had one guy in the shop that had no comebacks (general mechanic with no papers who mic'd everything) and a tune up guy that only had one  or two comebacks a year.  Everyone else had up to 5% comebacks.

Or a drive shaft shop that welds a new yoke on out of phase with the yoke on the other end of the shaft.  

Paul.

Balance Masters makes Liguid mercury filled drive shaft balancers. Easy to install and reasonable. Usually cheaper than a shop balance. Never wear out.  I think they go from 2” to 5-6” OD.

I’m not connected with the company in anyway, just a satisfied customer. Used them in my trucking business for over 30 years. When I bought my first set of truck wheel balancers from them I asked about warranty. The claimed their  product would outlive me. It looks like they may be right. Sons and Grandsons  now have business now and first set of balancers still running.

Thank you for answering !

On 2/12/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jubilee said:

Balance Masters makes Liguid mercury filled drive shaft balancers. Easy to install and reasonable. Usually cheaper than a shop balance. Never wear out.  I think they go from 2” to 5-6” OD.

I’m not connected with the company in anyway, just a satisfied customer. Used them in my trucking business for over 30 years. When I bought my first set of truck wheel balancers from them I asked about warranty. The claimed their  product would outlive me. It looks like they may be right. Sons and Grandsons  now have business now and first set of balancers still running.

Hey , I don't know this system . I ve seen their website . Does the system works on car driveshaft ? it seems to be reserved for truck ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hy guys ,

some news of my drivesahft ..

I suspected that the mechanic who had changed the five u joints  had remove them with a hammer , because I saw discreet traces of blows on one of the two half shaft.. Using a hammer is not a problem to get out of the u joint, but you have to strike in the right place...
  So I dismantled it again and I found a guy who could check it with the comparator, and confirm to me that there is indeed one of the two  half shaft that was bent.

He was able to straighten it with the help of a press, and the vibration has now completely disappeared.

Thank you all for your advice !

Hubert

• Like 2