Source for authentic cloth-insulated battery cables?

lancemb

I am looking to have some authentic cloth-insulated battery cables made for my 57s, and have been communicating with Rhode Island Wiring.  The whole communication experience has been weird, and now as I am ready to order they tell me they don't currently accept checks or credit cards, and that a wire transfer must be made.  I'm not okay with this.

Can anyone else chime in on their experience with RIW?

Can anybody else recommend an alternative source?

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Got a picture of what you are looking for ?

I can tell you a welding shop is NOT the place to look

Mike in Colorado

PS: A wire transfer request is your first clue the something is not right..........

It's this place, not a welding shop.  Others on the forum have used them and recommended them, but my experience has been strange.  http://www.riwire.com/

They never said anything about wire transfer until I got an invoice (which they also said would have to be paid first).  Needless to say, this all seems very suspicious, and that is not the only thing, without going into detail.

Here is a picture of an NOS cable with the type of cable that is needed.  I wanted to have them make up a couple sets out of this stuff.

472052365_57PositiveBatteryCable.thumb.jpg.ba77c77373b7e42f90113e0cd2c90d39.jpg

just went on their website to check them out

on the contact page it states "you will never be asked to make a bank transfer as payment"

so with them stating it,     Big Red Flag

sorry but haven't dealt with any wire harness company's

but i do have a question

my 57 is original low mileage the negative cable is cloth covered

the positive (battery to junction) was changed before i got it, to your knowledge is that wire also covered in cloth

or is it just the rubber insulation.

would be interested to know and when you find a source please let us know

thanks Marty

55 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

my 57 is original low mileage the negative cable is cloth covered

the positive (battery to junction) was changed before i got it, to your knowledge is that wire also covered in cloth

or is it just the rubber insulation.

would be interested to know and when you find a source please let us know

Yes, the picture is of an NOS one; I also have both originals from my coupe and they are both cloth covered.  If I wind up ordering these, I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Like 1

UPDATE:  I just called Rhode Island Wiring, and learned that it's as I suspected.  Somebody hacked their web page and added a phony email address at some point.  It's not there now; that is why they added the precautionary statement that they will never ask for a wire transfer for payment!

I am going to remit my specifications and get a quote, and will follow up here.

• Like 1

I have battery cables from R. I. Wire on my 36 Pontiac. I am extremely happy with them. I did not have originals to compare, but they sure look "period" to me, and fit perfectly. No funny business on the payment. I don't recall if they take credit cards, but if they didn't I probably sent a money order. I definitely did not do a wire transfer.

• Like 1

Smartin  the ebay item you show is very close or correct for the application the problem i had was that 

with the metal connector/lug on the cable i was not able to slip on the covering that was correct for the diam

wire because the connector was bigger. i used a larger size and tapes it at the ends but this was for my 60 which is a driver

i would not want to do that on a resto or original

Marty

The picture of the NOS one appears to be cloth-jacket wire, not asphaltic loom. Those are not the same thing. My R.I. Positive cable is cloth-jacket wire, and additionally has asphaltic loom around it where it passes between the frame and the floor.

That would look much better than rubber or plastic for sure.  It's a little different pattern than mine, but I don't even know if I'll be able to match the woven pattern exactly.

I spoke with RI Wire about my cables, and sent them pictures and measurements.  I hope to hear back tomorrow.

Heard back from RI Wire this morning.  After sending every single measurement they asked for, and several pictures showing features of both cables, they now want me to send the cables in for a quote.  I suspect they just want to be able to fully document them in person so that they feel comfortable offering them for sale to others, as there is absolutely nothing that I can't provide or haven't already provided to build these cables.  I might consider that if they at least offered to cover shipping, but I don't want to risk them getting lost in the mail on top of shipping charges.

So, I said I don't want to ship them and asked what else they needed; we'll see.  I may just wind up ordering some of the stuff Adam referenced if they refuse.

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

How long are the cables?  I have some left over aircraft cable with that covering, but it is white (easy to change to black); but you will have to install the ends.  A local NAPA store crimped some for me.

Thanks for the offer.  I think I will either just order the covering, or order the components from RI Wire and make them myself if they don't want to make them to my specifications without a sample.

The cables are 22" and 7" (but I want to make it 8"), and I want several of them.

Rhode Island made a complete set of wiring harnesses for my 56 Chrysler 300. They were some of the most perfect reproduction pieces I have seen with all the correct wire covering, color, length, and connectors that matched the original harness to the letter. The wire transfer requirement is phony since these folks are genuine contributors to our old car hobby.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lancemb said:

I suspect they just want to be able to fully document them in person so that they feel comfortable offering them for sale to others

Well, I wont tell you what to do, but if that is the case I would let them do it. Original parts for our old cars are scarce, and the more of them that get documented the better. You would be helping many others as time goes on.

On the other hand, maybe it isn't that. Maybe it is just that it is SO much easier to duplicate something when you can hold it in your hand, hold it up to the light, measure little details, etc. Having "reproduced" a few parts for my Pontiac using nothing but horrible pixelated blowups of pictures i found on the Internet, I can really appreciate that.

Either way, I'll bet they will make something to your specs. Let us know what happens.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Well, I wont tell you what to do, but if that is the case I would let them do it. Original parts for our old cars are scarce, and the more of them that get documented the better. You would be helping many others as time goes on.

On the other hand, maybe it isn't that. Maybe it is just that it is SO much easier to duplicate something when you can hold it in your hand, hold it up to the light, measure little details, etc. Having "reproduced" a few parts for my Pontiac using nothing but horrible pixelated blowups of pictures i found on the Internet, I can really appreciate that.

Either way, I'll bet they will make something to your specs. Let us know what happens.

I don't mind helping others in the hobby; in fact I'd planned to share the result of whatever I came up with so others could have the same.  However, in actuality the pictures I sent really shouldn't be required for much of anything, except confirming the look of the covering on the cable.  I'm pretty good at using rudimentary measuring devices, and as long as they made the cables to my specifications, any error on my end would be my problem.  But, if they want to reproduce them, I can understand that they may not want to rely on my measurements.

There is not a single needed measurement I didn't provide, and the pictures clearly show the orientation of the lugs and style of cable.  I guess in my mind, if somebody wants to profit off reproducing the parts, they should at least be honest about it and maybe offer to ship and insure it.  If my NOS cable got lost in the mail, will I ever find another one?   When?  Personally, I'm leaning toward just making them myself if they will only make them with part in hand.

If I wind up making them myself, I'll share what I learn so others can do the same.  Heck, I might even wind up with an extra set.

• Like 2

Update:

I have ordered the cables custom made from RI Wire.  I sent them the attached sketch to clarify everything and that seemed to help.  So, if anybody wants a set, you can get them using this sketch (sorry it's not more professional, but it works).  I will report back how they come out.

I am sending them the rubber boots (which are available at CARS and possibly elsewhere) for them to put on.

Interesting that Delco-Packard lists the positive as a 7" and the negative as a 22", but the actual sizing is not consistent.  This may just be manufacturing inconsistencies, though.  I am ordering mine with 1" added to each, because I won't be using the exact original battery in all cars, and in any case the extra inch won't hurt.

1453860706_1957BuickBatteryCables.thumb.JPG.c34ffdcdc589bc4cda9d7c48fa505e1d.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...