Paint Codes and Questionable Schemes

MargaritavilleBuick

The body tag will most likely tell you the original paint scheme as well as the upholstery. I don't have that information for 36 Buick, but someone in here will. Post a picture of the Fisher Body tag from your firewall, and I'll bet you get some good answers.

There was a time when it was common practice to make old cars look "quaint", and you saw all sorts of bizarre non-original paint schemes, especially on lower-value cars. There wasn't as much interest in making cars look as they came from the factory.

'36 Buicks came in one color, no two-tone. 

If you post a photo of the GM fire wall/cowl plate it will be decoded.  Sean1997 is the guru for that

And a photo (written) engine number

Typical as here--> https://forums.aaca.org/topic/237162-resources-for-understanding-our-vin-numbers/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

There were a lot of cars painted in that scheme in the 80s/90s. Lots of Model A's. Larry D calls it "coffee 2 creams." My 1940 56S is painted just like that. Not original, sure, but it all depends on what you are going to do with the car. If you want it judged you will lose some points. My 1940 is strictly my fun car so I don't care about that. In any event, it's your car - keep it or change it, totally up to you. I guarantee you it will be appreciated by us and others either way.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1