2020 AACA Annual Meeting

ex98thdrill

To those who attended the Annual Meeting, it was great to see you, to those who didn't, you missed another great event. 

I'd like to address a few things...

1.  To Mike Jones and the crew:  Thanks for putting on another great event.  If you've never hosted a National Meet or tour, I will be the first to tell you that it's not an easy task, and Mike and the crew do this very well, every year and they have done this ever year for several years.

2.  Hotel - A lot of renovation work has been done to the hotel since last year and the rooms were much nicer than a year ago.  It was never a case of having a lousy room, but I found the rooms to be a lot nicer this year.

3.  Parking - To those of you who used the valet parking, check your hotel bill.  AACA was given a special rate at $20 a day, but the desk clerk couldn't lock us in at that price when we checked in and she made that known to us when we checked in.  The desk clerk made the changes this morning when we checked out.  It is not a case of anyone trying to rip anyone off, it's a case of where I was told they had to do it manually, so if you didn't get that discounted rate, call them up and they'll make the deduction.  If not, they'll charge you their regular rate for valet parking.

4.  Steve and the folks at AACA Headquarters - Once again thanks for all you do not only with the Annual Meeting but with the day to day operations of the club all year long.  Those folks work long and hard to take care of the membership.  It wasn't until I was a meet chairman before I was ever able to comprehend what they do.  They not only have to deal with the day to day things, but they also have to plan the move into the new headquarters.  The move in itself is going to be a full time job, but remember they have to do that as well as still run the club.  I'm not saying the current AACA headquarters is substandard, but I'm looking forward to seeing those folks that work for us have a better workplace.  They work long, they work hard and they've earned that.  If things don't seem to be as good as they can be, those folks are going to be very overwhelmed for the next year at best, so bear with them.

5.  Seminars - For the first time in several years, they brought back the Advanced Judging School.  For those of you who have had any time being a judge, you'll know that going to the annual judging school can often be more painful than being forced to sit outside to watch cars rust.  The advanced judging school knocks out the BS that had beat the horse so bad that there was glue on the floor.  Thanks for bringing it back!!

6.  New AACA Headquarters - Can't wait to see it done!!  Thank you Steve and Chris for taking the time to answer those questions.  Although I've never had a problem with the new building, I had some concerns over what was being done.  After knowing what was being done with the money being spent, my concerns are over because they've already been addressed.  A know a lot of people have "sticker" shock, but whenever you get into a large project like that, it isn't cheap by any means and there is a huge difference between building a house and building an office building.  Ten years ago I laid the groundwork to put a $3 million dollar firehouse in a town the size of 3,500 people.  When you figure the size of AACA in terms of numbers, dollar for dollar our project was more money than the new AACA headquarters is ten years later so I'm surprised that they're doing what they're doing at the price it's being done.  I know what it's like in terms of budget, wants and needs and I've been in the situation where I had to pick and choose my battles to not only take care of our needs now, but also address the needs in the years ahead.  Our new headquarters building is not being built to meet the needs for today, it is being built to meet the needs for the future.  By doing what the national board is doing now, it'll save the club a boatload of cash by not having to do it later.  Although there are some who don't see that now, they will see that in the years ahead.  In terms of the national board of directors who are overseeing this project, I give them a lot of credit because I know from my own experience it is very difficult to work from within your heart, while still trying to stay within budget, while also trying to address wants and needs.  I know in my own situation I was forced to give up some things that I wanted that I couldn't do because the money wasn't there, and I had to address needs first.  Despite that, I was forced to take some heat and wear a black eye from people who don't have the vision to be able to comprehend what's being done so I'm sure the national board is in the same boat.  For those of you who might be against this project, keep an open mind.  I can't wait to go to Hershey and see the show taking place next to the new headquarters.  I think the headquarters will boost the show, and the show will boost headquarters.  If nothing more, it'll give Judges admin a better workplace during Hershey.  The National Board has had to "weather the storm" of building a new headquarters, and I know from my own experience it isn't easy, so thank you for "weathering the storm."

7.  Awards - It sure was great to get our second national award.  I had always maintained that winning one national award was enough, and it truly was.  Although I would've been fine not winning the award, the second time is even better.  My dad and I have a long history in the fire service, and we have several old cars, but winning the Peterson Fire Apparatus award has cemented ourselves to combine our association with both old cars and the fire service.  Everyone we know in the fire service knows we're car guys, while the car guys know we're in the fire service.  I was pretty rough on a few folks in terms of the nomination letter but it turned out that the US Post Office dropped the ball pretty bad.  As it turned out, it took the Post Office nearly two weeks to deliver the nomination letter.  The letter was sent out on time, the post office in Hershey did their job, but somewhere between the Hershey post office and my mailbox, someone messed up pretty bad.  If only they post office would lose my tax bill...…  Again I'd like to apologize to Steve, Bob and a few others because the problem lied with the post office and no one else.

8.  Annual Meeting - Whether you win or lose, the Annual Meeting is a good time.  If you have never been, consider going next year.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you and your dad there Pat.  It was an amazing weekend with many improvements at the hotel.  The staff there was fantastic.  Thoroughly enjoyed the banquet, and helping to pass out the awards that evening was a true pleasure.  Award recipients and their families were thrilled to be a part of this celebration, and many came from as far away as California, Florida, and everywhere between. It seemed like Stacy Zimmerman was everywhere keeping the seminars going and on track. AV support was great and in every case when I came in (early) to connect my PC and projector, there was an AV tech there ready to assist.  Thanks to those to had a part in another fantastic first class weekend for AACA.  Seeing the renderings for the new building was a winner, and wow, to think we're so close to reaching our goal!  Those involved in the project have certainly done their homework.  It'll be the pride of the organization for the future.  In passing around thanks, can't neglect to mention Bob Wallace and J.C. Taylor for their continued outstanding support to AACA as well as Bob's personal generosity.  Their hospitality suite is one of our favorite stops during the weekend.

Let the season begin!

Terry

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

In passing around thanks, can't neglect to mention Bob Wallace and J.C. Taylor for their continued outstanding support to AACA as well as Bob's personal generosity.  Their hospitality suite is one of our favorite stops during the weekend.

Let the season begin!

You're right Terry, I thought I had everyone and I forgot JC Taylor.  I didn't do the banquet because a certain former National President got me hooked on Macy's Crossing.  For the last several years I've had dinner there every night. 

It was a great Annual Convention. I had a great time. I have to admit that, while it was great, I do look forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. There is so much to do at the annual convention, that it is difficult to get enough sleep during the weekend. Missed seeing a few friends, but enjoyed a lot of time with both new and old friends this year. The hotel is much improved. I too had an issue with the valet fees but they corrected it this morning without any delay when I checked out. The banquet food was wonderful this year. The new hotel management seems to have really stepped up their game. 

5 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I do look forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. There is so much to do at the annual convention, that it is difficult to get enough sleep during the weekend. Missed seeing a few friends, but enjoyed a lot of time with both new and old friends this year. The hotel is much improved. I too had an issue with the valet fees but they corrected it this morning without any delay when I checked out. The new hotel management seems to have really stepped up their game. 

Yes they have Matt.  Steph and I spent Christmas in Hawaii so I know what you're saying when it comes to sleeping in your own bed.  We were home by noon.  We plowed the driveway, cleaned the snow off of the solar panels, got unpacked  and took a nap most of yesterday afternoon.  Any time we get back from a meet, that's pretty much the ritual.

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

I agree with everything said above--this year's Annual Convention was outstanding!  Thank you to everyone involved in setting it up and pulling it off.

To members who missed it, the Pinewood Derby Races on Friday night were great.  Kudos to Chris, Matt, and Mike for everything they did to provide everyone a fun time.  (They even had Pinewood Derby car kits for sale--a whopping $5 for everything--and helped members assemble those cars earlier in the day.)  I hope they post a video of it because you won't believe some of the cars, yet alone how much fun a bunch of "vintage" adults had racing wooden cars down a wooden drag strip (complete with digital lane counters measuring down to a thousandth of an inch).  I hope they do it again next year--Marion's already planning her car.

Pat, agree with all your comments regarding the meeting. Very well run machine plus the food was the best we have ever had at a banquet of this size, and we have been to many. Enjoyed sitting with your father at the upholstery seminar. He is a wealth of information and countless stories. The wife even had a great time and she has become fairly numb to 30 years of car events and banquets. She also enjoyed showing and talking about her car in the trade show. Rumor has it a picture of a car was taken late Saturday night under the star on the red carpet :) Ray F did his best Shultz " I know nothing" impersonation.  

3 hours ago, Ron Green said:

Rumor has it a picture of a car was taken late Saturday night under the star on the red carpet

Ron, that is no rumor.  I wasn't part of the crew who moved the car, I wasn't there when the picture was taken, but I did see the picture of the car on the carpet either in front of or under the star.  That picture does in fact exist. 

I'm not what you'd call in "good graces" with some of the higher ups, so I'm not about to do anything that could get me arrested and/or removed from the club.

I was only kidding around I knew the picture existed. We were bored, tired and somewhat delirious waiting for the room to be cleared, plus the "official" room partition man was lost in action. So after some discussion I drove it through the small man doors (barely) and had pictures taken by the six of us that remained. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera but here is a shot someone not to be named took. Rest of the pictures are to be emailed to me which are better and without people. We all know if car people sit around long enough they come up with some strange ideas.

2020 Philly CitiCar Red Carpet.jpg

• Like 1