Most Desirable Year for Reatta?

parkertom

Thanks for the information. I have been considering finding a decent Reatta for a nice driver. When I was a young teenager, my dad was a Buick technician and would bring a Reatta home every now and then. I remember being amazed at the touchscreen.

If you want a driver and you like the touch screen I think the '89 would be the best choice.  It is more refined and it has remote keyless entry. The ''88 does not. For a collector the '88 might be a better choice, especially the early ones which which were slightly different from the later '88s.

• Thanks 1

Try not to be stuck looking for just the "right" one..........

If you find a nice original low mileage car, buy it regardless of the year (at the right price)

As noted the 1988 early models had suede bolsters which were phased out around vin # 2000

1989 has the factory remote entry,  sunroofs were available and the touch screen is unique for a 1980's car.

1990 there was a change in the dash...the CRT went away but the convertible became available.   '88, 89, and '90 all used the same engine and transmission.

1991 had lots of small changes...appearance wise the wheels changed to 16".  The engine gained 5 hp, the 4T60 transmission became electronic controlled and had a 3.33 final drive.  There is a cup holder in the center armrest.   and the ABS brakes were changed to Bosch.

1991 was also a short run and they are harder to find.  

Worried about parts.......many of the parts were the same as a Riviera for the same years and people here know where to find parts.

• Thanks 1

I feel the 91's were starting be homogenized, I have owned 9 now and have yet to own a 91.  If the right one was there I would buy it but would not search one out.  If a little more safety is of interest, the 90's and 91's did have drivers side airbag, the 88's & 89's did not.  If not having the airbag is OK then go for the touchscreen in a 88 or 89 that you remember.  I had mentioned the 88 being the purist of the Reatta's, it seemed to me other than remote entry, each year seemed a little less special, the 89's lost the 4 control buttons on the console to just 2 in 89, an early 88 with the suede is really special feeling.  I would recommend trying to find one with the 16 way seats, there is no comparison in comfort for driving between the two, while the regular on is just fine, the 16 way one makes your go ahhh and when traveling gives you so many options to help keep you changing positions so as to stay comfortable.  I agree with Barney though, buy any year if it is a nice low mileage well maintained car if it's a color combo that you like or would be happy with. 

• Like 1

Tom Parker,

Have you had a chance to drive a Reatta yet?  I live approximately an hour and 20 minutes from Berryville and I would be happy to show you my '91 Reatta and let you spend some time behind the wheel.  If interested, send me a private message with your phone number and we can get together this week, maybe halfway between your home and mine.  No, my Reatta is not for sale, I'm simply offering you the chance to spend some time with one plus the chance to pick my brain for what it's worth.  

Jim Ifert/ Nittany

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also be cautious of cars from the rust belt..........the Reatta body,  according to Buick literature is stamped from galvanized steel and completely submerged in a

primer bath before painting,  so Reatta bodies will take a beating up north but the front and rear sub frame is a different story.

That is another reason I recommended find something with low mileage.    Because of the low production and  30 years after the end of production less than 1/3  are still around.   This makes finding one more difficult.    Michigan, Ohio, Florida, and California seem to have the most Reattas,  if you live elsewhere you may need to travel to find a nice one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Did see this nice one while doing national searches on FB 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/632709314156584/

I came across that car yesterday. Appears to have been well cared for and certainly low mileage. I sent a message to the seller last night. I was just down in FL in late January, would have been nice to check this out while I was there. Sent messages on a couple of convertibles last night as well. See if any of them pan out.

56 minutes ago, Nittany said:

If interested, send me a private message with your phone number and we can get together this week, maybe halfway between your home and mine.  No, my Reatta is not for sale, I'm simply offering you the chance to spend some time with one plus the chance to pick my brain for what it's worth.  

Jim- I will send you a message.

25 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Because of the low production and  30 years after the end of production less than 1/3  are still around.   This makes finding one more difficult.    Michigan, Ohio, Florida, and California seem to have the most Reattas,  if you live elsewhere you may need to travel to find a nice one.

I am in Virginia, occasionally one will pop up in close proximity. Low mileage is another story. There is a small car lot nearby and the owner has several Reattas in various conditions. He supposedly has the nice low mileage cars locked away in storage.

Tom.....just looked at the 2017 BCA Roster and here are some towns that have BCA members with Reattas.

Looks like Front Royal is just down the road,  Moneta, Rileyville, Lovettsville, Gainsville,  and in MD a fellow in Frostburg has a bunch of Buicks including a Reatta.

also Smithsville, Annapolis, Elliott city, Baltamore has 2, Aberdeen MD

I can get you more contact info if you see a town that is close to you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

What was the final drive ratio of earlier models?

One note on final drive ratio is the 91 used a slightly taller tire so the effective ratio is 3.25 for comparison sake to the earlier cars. The "C" engines have a quicker torque rise than the "L" so that may be part of the reason for the gear change??

For me its either an 88 or 91. 88 For the touch screen, Low production, Better Cam,  the lower pod that has the 5 switches. This was an 88 Only item. No glove Box Handle.  Its easy to add keyless entry to an 88, Mine has a GM Goodwrench Keyless entry that was installed at the Dealer when new. 

91 for Engine and Trans, and no Teves, Also  low production numbers.

Tom I am in the Smithsburg MD area and go to the Leesburg Car and Coffee often on Sundays mornings.

Cars and Coffee Leesburg is a Public Facebook Page. There are many pictures of my car out there.

If you want to drive mine we could arrange it.

• Thanks 1

i love my 91 vert 

but as Barney said look for the best condition

Best deal Best color for you that you can find

88-90 if brake system is bad you might be in for bucks to repair

and to DAVES89 comment about no soul on 90 and 91 wow cruel comment 

maybe you don't deserve your 90 vert lol

just in fun

Marty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dashmaster said:

Tom I am in the Smithsburg MD area and go to the Leesburg Car and Coffee often on Sundays mornings.

Cars and Coffee Leesburg is a Public Facebook Page. There are many pictures of my car out there.

If you want to drive mine we could arrange it.

I wasn't aware of that cars and coffee, maybe I will meet you up there some time.

Thanks to all for the pointers on the various years. I have spoken with two sellers already and have a message out to a third. If you come across any good listings, feel free to share. I am partial to the convertibles, but would be open to a coupe as well. 

DAVES89  no hard feelings we all love these cars in one way or another

just breaking chops lol

and actually do understand one of our members bought a riv and it was the first time

i had seen the startup display on the CRT was very cool i never realized how neat that was till then

Marty

9 minutes ago, farnelle said:

There was or is a used car dealer just out of Berryville that had several Reattas in various conditions.   Do not remember the route number but it is between Berryville and Winchester not far from Double Toll Gate.

That is Trip's. Was there this morning for a title at the DMV located inside. Last I spoke with him, he had the nicer lower mileage cars locked up in storage. Not looking to sell, waiting for them to rise in value. Might be time to check in again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, parkertom said:

That is Trip's. Was there this morning for a title at the DMV located inside. Last I spoke with him, he had the nicer lower mileage cars locked up in storage. Not looking to sell, waiting for them to rise in value. Might be time to check in again.

How old is he?

1 hour ago, parkertom said:

I stopped there last year and tried to talk him in to selling me a car or two. Still no luck. I've been trying for years. 

• 1 year later...

Well, its been a while since I started this thread. Had a few interesting cars that I didn't move quick enough on or were just not in as good of shape as I would like come up. Then got distracted with a couple other cars and a pandemic. But, finally back looking into getting a Reatta. Going to check out a 91 convertible on Wednesday with 46,000 miles. The most recent owner had it for 21 years before passing away and, according to his sister, kept the car in meticulous condition. Price seems pretty decent. Will share what I find with the group.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, NCReatta said:

I stopped there last year and tried to talk him in to selling me a car or two. Still no luck. I've been trying for years. 

Trip passed away in late 2020. I think they have settled the estate and his son, CT, seems willing to part with the Reattas. He let me in the storage trailer to check out the three he has in there. I told him the Polo Green 91 might be the most interesting one in there. I think he said it has 60,000 miles. One of the convertibles was dry as can be. The other had a bit of a moisture smell inside. They have all been sitting in there for a long time.

8C171E07-1A28-4099-A0CD-DCE1B648C486.jpeg

C8D03B8C-6BD7-4837-A0A2-29CC9C218D80.jpeg

20863D87-EC4C-40E4-9B97-67CA7463329E.jpeg

Edited by parkertom (see edit history)

5 hours ago, parkertom said:

Trip passed away in late 2020. I think they have settled the estate and his son, CT, seems willing to part with the Reattas. He let me in the storage trailer to check out the three he has in there. I told him the Polo Green 91 might be the most interesting one in there. I think he said it has 60,000 miles. One of the convertibles was dry as can be. The other had a bit of a moisture smell inside. They have all been sitting in there for a long time.

polo green is one of the holy grail Reatta's

is he asking reasonable prices

36 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

polo green is one of the holy grail Reatta's

is he asking reasonable prices

I haven’t heard anything specific, but the numbers I heard floating around weren’t exactly reasonable considering they have been sitting there for 10+ years.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, parkertom said:

Yeah but CT is going to want minimum $15,000 for the coupes and $25,000 for the convertible (s) because he will believe they are highly collectible.  

They are worth what the market feels they are worth. I did sell one of mine for $1,500 profit so that means I sold it for about $3,000 more than I bought it for.  Storage and a battery cut into my profit.  It was a nice car.