1895 Buck Wagon - Henry Ford

Pacewagon

Anyone interested in an interesting part of Henry Ford history?

I have a 1895 Hoopes, Bro & Darlington  Buck Wagon.

It was originally built for Henry Ford’s brother John in 1895.

Later gifted to Henry and then displayed in Greenfield Village. 

$8,000.00

Todd Harroun

Kalamazoo, MI

5A9A9E2C-5208-48EB-9C09-B216DC4CF318.jpeg

36081AC9-2502-4209-8694-97D554354D82.jpeg

Yes, mid 1960’s for zip codes, the zip code is even quoted in the “authentication” letter.  The big ugly Phillips screws holding the “original” tag is a nice touch too.

Buyer beware on this one, too many red flags. Natural wood and not painted, modern wheel hubs....when it doesn’t feel old, then it’s not....

The Michigan Ave. address on the tag is the site of a current-day Ford dealer and Hoopes themselves went under in 1972 which explains the tag, but it looks like their core business was more to do with making wheels than anything else.

It doesn't really make sense that in the era someone would have ordered a wagon from hundreds of miles away when there were so many more options closer to home.  I'd bet that perhaps Hoopes rebuilt or made new wheels for a restoration project in the final years before they went under.  

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

Maybe it is a north of the 49th thing but I have never heard of a "Buck" wagon.  All the farmers I knew from back in the 40's, and they were in their 80's and 90's called them buck board wagons and lots of them were used regularly up to and past the mid 50's.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hoopes Bro & Darlington produced wagon (and later car) wooden wheels. They did not incorporate until 1903. That probably accounts for both the tag and the new wagon wheels.

Sothebys descriptions are only as accurate as those they pay to authenticate are. In this case even a rudimentary glance at historical data would have prevented this apparent misinformation.

• Like 1

First of all, I think this is a "Buggy" chassis, and not a buckboard. Buckboards were designed for "trucking" stuff, typically had the seat up front and a decent sized box. They were usually un-sprung (thus the term buck) and more robust vis-a-vis wheels. This buggy is curious for many reasons. It has no dashboard? The seat is very utilitarian compared to most I have seen. The steering is standard, and can take single or double shafts. I bought and sold this buggy last year, a very nicely appointed one from circa 1900. The double shafts hook to wagon at same point as single shafts, but have a double "whiffle tree". An interesting feature of the posted wagon is it appears to have a foot operated "sprague-type" brake. As for provenance of the posted item, and whether it is a "buckboard", I'll leave that to whomever puts down the cash. BTW, I bought this one for $400 and sold it a month later for $600, didn't have a place to keep it.

buggy 2.jpg

buggy 1.jpg

buggy 3.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Well crap, where were you guys prior to me hitting that “place Bid” button?

i knew it, things didn’t add up with me either.

if this actually was what the auction company was claiming well then it needed to be in a museum not at a small auction in Michigan.  

I just sent the Greenfield Village Museum an email asking if they have any knowledge of this piece.

Ya I know, probably should have done that prior to my winning bid.  

I have two thoughts;

The story is either total BS or maybe it was sent back to the factory for a total restoration at a much later date. 

The wood is all new, no question there, but the iron work is old.  

Maybe I will go back to my original thoughts, make a table out of it. 

If I get a response from the museum I will post it.

thank you for your posts. 

Todd

9 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

No, Henry did have a younger brother John - 1865-1927.

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford

incorrectly listed his siblings on his page. (Link above + seen in top pic below)

But on the family tree Wikipedia also links -John correctly appears (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford_family_tree - bottom pic below).

StanleyRegister nailed it.  B. John Ford (the name on the tag) owned Bob Ford in Dearborn.  That is the address of the dealership on the tag.  Everything fits.  

13 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

That is correct. I’m saying Henry did also have a younger brother John (1865-1927) and the two got conflated in the ‘authentication’.

Separating the facts here. 

I see.  Since nobody was debating the existence of Henry's brother I thought things were going off in a different direction.

3 hours ago, Pacewagon said:

Well crap, where were you guys prior to me hitting that “place Bid” button?

i knew it, things didn’t add up with me either.

if this actually was what the auction company was claiming well then it needed to be in a museum not at a small auction in Michigan.  

I just sent the Greenfield Village Museum an email asking if they have any knowledge of this piece.

Ya I know, probably should have done that prior to my winning bid.  

I have two thoughts;

The story is either total BS or maybe it was sent back to the factory for a total restoration at a much later date. 

The wood is all new, no question there, but the iron work is old.  

Maybe I will go back to my original thoughts, make a table out of it. 

If I get a response from the museum I will post it.

thank you for your posts. 

Todd

I'm sorry for  your bum purchase.  This sort of thing happens all too much.  Hopefully you'll discover something positive and documentable in the process.  There are two ways you can move forward with it -- either represent it accurately for what it is after you've learned all you can about it, or tell the next guy it was used to haul Abraham Lincoln's body to the railroad station! 

There's a fair amount of recent auction history on this object.  There are some fine auction companies who are intent on making sure that their sale descriptions contain no falsehoods or suppositions.  They do their own research and fact checking, especially when there are claims of famous events or famous personal associations.  Other auction companies copy and paste what they get from the consigner. 

Aug 27-31, 2014

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/af14/auburn-fall/lots/r8042/569980

Actual bid results for lot N840 are on page 10 of this document -

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-talk/378834d1410209914-gas-monkey-64-1-2-mustang-auburn-2014.pdf

Jul 29, 2018

https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Collectibles/Collectibles/Henry-Ford-Buck-Wagon/lotInformation/43200311

Dec 18, 2019

https://www.biddergy.com/Listing/Details/141377859/Late-1800s-Buck-Wagon-Owned-by-Henry-Ford

Here's the golden provenance rule - Only period documents are proof. 

Do not accept a modern document as proof.  It may contain accurate facts, and it may serve as a guide for finding period documents.  And it most definitely may not. 

Do not accept quoted reminiscences as proof.  The most recent speaker's sources, or their sources' sources, may have been deceived, no matter how honestly and faithfully the most recent speaker reports a conversation.

• Like 1

Thanks for those links Stanley, I had seen the Sotheby’s but not the Proxibid.

i was the idiot for the Biddergy. 

Sure makes me wonder what the hell Marvin was notarizing - bunch of BS basically. 

I did get a response back from Greenfield Village, said they would look into it.

it will be interesting to see if that part of the story is even true. 

I will post after they reply again.