Emblem Restore or Replace (40 Buick)

kgreen

Can anyone give me a review of the reproduction emblems for the "40 Buick?  One of these emblems is located on the center trim between the grill halves, the other on the rear turn signal housing.  It seems the restoration cost is several times that of the replacement cost for a reproduction.  Bob's has the reproductions, others might but I haven't looked.

I wonder if I am getting what I pay for in either option.  That is, the reproduction part is OK for the money and the restored part so absolutely amazing it should be considered if one's goals match that effort?

Hey Ken:

I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  I have an extra of the Bob's reproduction version for the trunk lid emblem.  I will send it to you.  I already have your address.  You can evaluate it and either use it or send it along to someone else.

Question:  Were the turn signals in the trunk lid emblem for '40?  I thought that was only in '39.

Neil

The trunk lid emblem just does look right when its upside down 🙁

1939 is very similar.  The red lens have a different part number 1939 & 1940

The full 9.945 group part number is probably on pg 338 of the 1928-52 Mater parts book. I have scanned pg 339 and later (I am at a different location from where my book is at this time)

1939-40.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, Ken!  I have a '41, and I can tell you without question that the '41 did not have turn signals in the rear deck lid.  Apparently, it was '39 and '40 only.  I knew about '39, but I didn't realize that they did it in '40 as well.  But in '41, the turn signals were under the tail lights, with an arrow pointing the way.

• Thanks 1

Haha -- yeah, someone really had to go out of their way to install that unit upside down because they had to have reversed the side lenses to have the B-U-I-C-K E-I-G-H-T letters read right side up.  

I will mail that reproduction emblem today.

Neil

• Thanks 1