Dealer promotion on pre WWII new cars

kgreen

In the mid 1930s  on up b & w and color postcards were popular and a inexpensive way to stay in touch with previous customers. The b & w ones I have seen were mostly for Plymouth, Buick had some color post cards in the early 1940s. The post card would have the name of the dealership printed on it and were supplied by the factory. Many dealers in the late 1920s thru about 1933 had large posters that would be displayed in their showroom windows or had messages painted on the windows that faced out to attract customers ( no images of cars) Those messages could easily be removed and replaced with other information. Sales literature consisted of simple color folders that were not expensive and more deluxe sales catalogs , and even portfolios with separate plates were given out to perspective customers that looked like the had $ to buy the more expensive cars. Framed ( 16 x 20 or a bit larger) images of current body styles were on the interior walls of the showrooms, some photographic images as well - most of these images were also used in the deluxe sales literature as well. I have a showroom poster Franklin used in 1930 showing Charles Lindbergh and his new Franklin, a 1925 Franklin poster of a town car that was the same image as used in their sales literature and a 1940 Buick cardboard mounted image of a current sedan - again the same image used in the sales catalog for 1940.

I have not seen to many string tied tags for pre war cars that were specific to a particular make.  I believe the thought back then was to let the perspective customer take something home to also look at later. All the sales literature was paid for by the dealer not free from the factory, they had to buy the sales material to promote the car or product ( like accessories) .

• Like 2

Auto sales were very competitive in the thirties and all kinds of promotions were used. One that was popular with various makes, was the "drive away" program. A dealer might sell 10, 20 or more new cars to be picked up by the buyer at the factory.  They paid railroad fare to the factory gave them a tour and handed over the keys and the buyer drove the car home. This saved on freight charges and the buyer got a little vacation trip for free.

If you can get hold of old copies of MoToR the garage trade magazine you will find plenty of ideas for promotions and sales campaigns in every issue.

• Like 1

As early as 1931 the local Plymouth dealer here on long island in Floral Park had a decal that they put on the right rear bottom edge of the lower body molding at the corner that stated their business name and the town and state. It was about 1 inch high and 2 1/2 or 3 inches wide. 

Is this to much nit picky information I remember? I only tell what I have seen personally not what I heard from someone else.

I can't remember what pills I have to take every day to keep "me" running but can tell you what buildings were car dealers here where I live ca. 1930! Geez - Geezerhood. 🥺

• Haha 1