1928 Packard 526 Paint Colors

Does anybody have a copy of the paint colors (chips not words)  available on a 1928 526 closed car (303)?  I have descriptions of the paint schemes with the names of the colors but no idea what the colors look like.  I have attached a photo of the back of one of the wheels of my car and I think it may be Chicadee Green.   Does anybody have information to confirm this?  Also, does anybody know if there are paint codes somewhere on the body?  I found the plate with serial number and body number in the rear passenger compartment but I can't find any reference to paint codes.  I find that interesting because my Pontiacs from that era had plates on the main sill with the paint code for that car and I find it surprising that Packard would not have something on the car.

Any help appreciated.

Rob

Image-2.jpeg.6c01ed861b8c62a3315b92061318295d.jpeg

Rob,

You might want to post your request on the PackardInfo Website. There area number of people there restoring  526's.

They also have a manuals and literature section where you can download for free. From a quick look didn't have 28 colors but did have paint chips for 29(might help?).

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

That is a good suggestion.  I had somebody invite me to check out that site when I first got the car and have not done it.  I looked at the '29 colors and there are a couple that were used in '28 so I have a couple of more pieces of the puzzle.  I don't know why I am spending so much time with this since I don't plan to paint the car right now.  It may be a long while before I get to that job.  The car is a running 'barn find' but somebody painted the wheels a terrible yellow along the way and I am putting on new tires and figure it is a good time to powder coat the wheels the original color. 

Thanks for your recommendation.  I have attached a photo of the car.  It has 30,000 miles on and aside from the brushed paint job it is all original.  Amazing interior for a 92 year old car.

Image.thumb.jpeg.eb6bd9055aeae0fcc2a1f9547c2640bd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but you need to go to:

www.autocolorlibrary.com

There you will find the Ditzler intermix color charts. If your list includes some form of a 4 digit number (ie, IM-1443) it'll be there. Some colors don't show due to 'net picture posting, for example any light "iridescent" color (metallics) tend to transmit as a dull dark grey. Still, it's enough to give you ideas and buying a qt for spray out and color match is $$$ well spent. Good luck, and this info will help anyone's color selection efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

You  mention your amazing original interior. Could you please post some pics ? Instrument panel and engine would be appreciated also. I just LOVE sedans of this period. Since you have been here longer than I have, I expect you know my '27 Cadillac sedan. Also original and unrestored, maybe a bit more mileage. If you have not met the old thing, just enter   'VEGAS-SEATTLE   in the search box, and follow your intuition about 5-6 entries down. Let me know what you think. 'Most everyone here knows the car, and I don't like to post pictures if I can save storage on the forum when a few clicks can access pics already taking up whatever. Thank you,    -    Carl 

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)
  • Like 1