Pre-War BUICK Steering Box I.D. Ideas?

Jolly_John

While at storage to locate a 1939 BUICK steering box, I came upon this other steering box. It is clearly NOT the 1939 40/60 series box I was after. I'm thinking it is from earlier than that, but, what the heck is it? I've only had '39 40 and 60 series, and 1938 80 series Buicks in the past. I have no idea where the one in the photo came from...which is a bit scary.

The steering column and box pictured has the  two holes for the steering wheel lock and ignition switch housing towards the top of the column. Perhaps that helps date it a little. It also has the opening for the horn switch's electrical contact toward the bottom of the column.

I just noticed there are some numbers and letters cast into the steering box housing. I'll have to check those tomorrow.

So, given the rather unique steering box mounting system, and the pitman arm configuration, can someone help me with the application for this steering box? Thank you

003 (424x800).jpg

006 (800x719).jpg

009 (600x800).jpg

012 (521x800).jpg

013 (600x800).jpg

017 (794x800).jpg

019 (800x798).jpg

Yes, 1939_Buick, that's a possibility, although it looks like the big nut at the end of shaft (securing the pitman arm) hasn't been removed in ages. I'll turn the shaft later today to see if the box is currently at the end of its travel one way. That might be why the position of the pitman arm looks odd.

Bob, thanks for your comment. Yes, I wasn't thinking early 30's for the vintage. With the locking steering wheel feature, I was leaning toward 1936-1938 BUICK. I'm hoping an owner from that period will chime in here. The casting of the box is pretty distinctive. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

The cast iron part of the steering box that bolts to the car's frame is so distinctive, I thought a late-1930's BUICK owner would recognize it. 

It's really something, but I don't remember buying this steering box for any of the 1938 and 1939 BUICKS I've owned over the years. Perhaps some of you can relate to that!  The steering wheel ignition switch lock should mean a 1936 to 1939 application for this steering box. Sure would appreciate an I.D., gang. Thanks. John

• 2 weeks later...

One final plea for I.D. help on this BUICK steering box and column, gang. If we can't figure out the application, I'm going to have to recycle it. Simply running out of room here at the house. I hate to see it come back to the U.S. from China, as part of something they'd be making. Would much rather get it into the hands of a BUICK owner who may be able to make use of it. Thanks for any I.D. help. John

Thanks for your effort to I.D. this puppy, Brian. Very good of you to take the time. It appears your 80C box has the lube filler plug in a different spot than my box does. I'll look at mine more closely for other comparisons, now that I have your one 1938 80 series steering box photo. John