Section10

Goldenrod car

Recommended Posts

Don't know what this was either.  In my list of old car pictures I call it the goldenrod car.

IMG_1747.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1936 Ford. 1935 had a crank on the top part of the center of the dashboard. The car in question doesn't. This is a 1936....

1936 Ford dashboard.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, those days!! We all had those knobs but we didn't call them suicide knobs, but d----d if i can recall what we called them...probably get you ticketed for unsafe controls now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bud, was it possibly called "neckers knobs". They were put on so that you could drive the car and make turns with your left hand only, while your right arm was draped around your girl.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Section10 said:

Don't know what this was either.  In my list of old car pictures I call it the goldenrod car.

IMG_1747.JPG

 

 

Can we know were the remains are, just the state would do. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and "three on the tree" was so she could get even closer. Some even shifted for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

Ahhh, those days!! We all had those knobs but we didn't call them suicide knobs, but d----d if i can recall what we called them...probably get you ticketed for unsafe controls now...

I always kind of assumed they were illegal, but I got stopped once with one on my Jeep steering wheel and the cop looked right at it and ignored it.  A couple years ago I asked the sheriff who is a friend of mine if they were illegal and he said not as far as he knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Varies by state I think. Those were always illegal in WA back in the day, but might not be anymore. The street rodders have got a lot of things changed here. You can have blue dots now, no fenders if its not raining, etc.

 

P.S. No, I don't use one, but I would invite anyone who thinks they're "unsafe" to try driving a prewar car in city traffic while hand signaling, and see if you still think so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Varies by state I think. Those were always illegal in WA back in the day, but might not be anymore. The street rodders have got a lot of things changed here. You can have blue dots now, no fenders if its not raining, etc.

 

P.S. No, I don't use one, but I would invite anyone who thinks they're "unsafe" to try driving a prewar car in city traffic while hand signaling, and see if you still think so.

Not so necessary now, but I had two 50's Jeeps without power steering and both had these knobs.  Made steering a bit easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This old girl has one now.

I may be getting weaker in my old age.

 

I should probably get a current picture, this is when I bought it out of Arizona.

Apparently sanding to bare metal is the thing down there, not so much in Oregon.

Its been sprayed with some epoxy now.

 

 

20915351_505504383130175_8121831993714875192_n.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Dodge pickup like that.  Mine was an automatic with the shifting lever sticking out horizontally from the dashboard and you moved it up and down in a vertical slot.  It was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now