Accesories -- How Do You know When To Stop?

Hudsy Wudsy

10 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

This fella could have used an intervention a long, long time ago. However, is there something sort of "photoshopy" about this pic?

It's an old post card photo, so I doubt it was altered.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Imperials in the late 1930's were not luxury cars,

were rather in the middle of the line.  But I get your point---

Since our focus is on correctly preserving history,

I think it's appropriate to keep on the car only the

options which that particular example had.

Imperial certainly made luxury cars. They were top of the Chrysler line and sold against Buick, Packard, LaSalle, and Cadillac. You could buy an Imperial limousine on a 144 inch wheelbase. All came with a 130HP 323 cu in straight eight engine and Fluid Drive transmission. It is true they did not have anything comparable to the V12 Packard or Pierce Arrow or V16 Cadillac but who did? Those could be characterized as "ultra luxury cars" outside the range of normal mass produced vehicles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

It's an old post card photo, so I doubt it was altered.

I just had cataract surgery this past month and I really am seeing things differently. I'm back to where I was decades ago, as far as acuity. The thing that amazes me the most is how colors have shifted. I have a Honda C-RV that I use to get groceries in. It's color is "Titanium". I thought it was brown, or at least more brown than gray when I bought it. After the surgery in my right eye (they do the replacement surgeries one at a time, two weeks apart) I could stand by the window and look out at the Honda with each eye closed, one at a time, and marvel at the difference in the color. I knew that the lenses in our eyes develop thickened spots that cause little obstructions, but I didn't realize how the lenses discolor over the years. I really am elated at the results. The surgery was completely without discomfort and lasted about fifteen minutes per eye. The Opthalmologist who did my eyes said that he was doing eight others that morning. If this type of work is pending for any of you other old guys, embrace it -- you'll wonder why you ever procrastinated!

54 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Nevertheless, this one still bothered me a lot. A sun visor on a convertible?!? WTF?

IMG_20161108_143147955_HDRa.thumb.jpg.5213a828f39b70ac1f83f670b1227415.jpg

Apparently, from the number of Step-Down Hudson convertibles with sun visors I encountered in junkyards here in the '60's, it was something a dealer or multiple dealers promoted.   Most sedan and coupes were equipped with them too, so possibly it was a thing for dealers to sell the idea since the convertible had such a broad windshield header.   But, yeah, it looked ugly then and still does!  

43 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

This fella could have used an intervention a long, long time ago. However, is there something sort of "photoshopy" about this pic?

No intervention necessary. Just be glad this fella lives in a country that gives people the freedom to do what they want. If that car makes him happy, then I'm happy he's enjoying it.

I'm very partial to Pontiac's-Real Pontiac's. My dad had a beautiful 50 Chieftain Deluxe, all stock, straight eight, 4 speed HydraMatic and a few bling factory STOCK accessories. My image of a 50 Pontiac is my Dads car , but that's not everyone's image.   

HS pal has had his 39 Chevy since 75 or 76 when he was 14 or 15.  The car was restored between 78 and 81 and since then he has acquired every accy. GM made, and in 39 that was a lot.  Most, full wheelcovers, back up lamp, radio, are not on the car.  But how many NOS back up lamps for a 39 chevy are out there?

I think the "Bombs" some of the So Cal groups like are not that bad, I spoke to some of those guys from LA once, they keep them stock mechanically for the most part, which sits just fine with me.  Also most are mid 30s to early 50s sedans, theyvcould be treated a lot worse.  Bombs are better than rodding or parting out.  Those guys have a sense of humor also.  One morning after attending the Hershey auction one fellow said "we were the only hispanics in the room, I dont think they knew what to make of us", he was scouting stock cars and accesories for his bomb club!

Personally, I like a balance and it depends on the car.  Those dolls though that lean on cars should be banned.  Just plain creepy! 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I just had cataract surgery this past month and I really am seeing things differently. I'm back to where I was decades ago, as far as acuity. The thing that amazes me the most is how colors have shifted. I have a Honda C-RV that I use to get groceries in. It's color is "Titanium". I thought it was brown, or at least more brown than gray when I bought it. After the surgery in my right eye (they do the replacement surgeries one at a time, two weeks apart) I could stand by the window and look out at the Honda with each eye closed, one at a time, and marvel at the difference in the color. I knew that the lenses in our eyes develop thickened spots that cause little obstructions, but I didn't realize how the lenses discolor over the years. I really am elated at the results. The surgery was completely without discomfort and lasted about fifteen minutes per eye. The Opthalmologist who did my eyes said that he was doing eight others that morning. If this type of work is pending for any of you other old guys, embrace it -- you'll wonder why you ever procrastinated!

My father who wore glasses all his life had his eyes done and marveled at the difference. This was 10 years ago. Now that I have cataract in both eyes, but not bad enough for surgery, I worry about what I am missing....

Hudsy and 72caddy, I had cataract surgery on the first eye done 2 days ago and it's wonderful, colors and all!  The other one gets done March 25.

Back on topic, within 30 minutes of getting my 1930 and 1934 Pierces home upon purchase, the Trippe lights were removed.  Too much going on those front ends anyway....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Imperial certainly made luxury cars. They were top of the Chrysler line and sold against Buick, Packard, LaSalle, and Cadillac... 

Rusty, you'd be surprised--as I was when I first

learned--that some Imperials were not luxury cars.

Referring to the pictured 1937 Imperial business coupe,

I wrote, "Imperials in the late 1930's were not luxury cars,

were rather in the middle of the line."

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars,

that Imperial business coupe sold for $1030 and was on 

a wheelbase of only 121 inches.  It was just above the

price level of the low-level Buick Special, whose business

coupe was $913 and which had a 122-inch wheelbase.

The Chrysler Airflow was priced at $1610, which is 50% higher!

Chrysler also had a 1937 Custom Imperial which was quite

expensive, like the Buick Limited, and that's the kind of

car most people think of when they hear of "Imperials."

Grimy, I started the thread so I think that we can digress a little bit about cataracts. I knew that I had to deal with the problem, but I've never had any surgery of any kind before. Honestly, I couldn't imagine someone messing with my eyes under any circumstances at all. I hated, however, how I didn't enjoy driving anymore and decided to face the music. It all went wonderfully well.  "Cataract" is a screwy word. A cataract is a waterfall. Long ago someone likened what happens to our aging eyes to looking through a waterfall. For some bizarre reason, the words meaning got transferred.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yeah, the oil rig fender ornaments -- do you suppose that they're made from Erector set pieces?

Hey, now there's an idea. And I could even run nylon tubing from my oil pressure sending unit up through each fender so I could have a "gusher" now and then at stop lights. Black gold...Texas tea....

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Caddy looks like "fun with a flower wagon". Remember cars getting so wide it was said might need clearance lights, maybe the fins put it over the limit.

Mine just kept getting more nearsighted until they could not make glasses that thick, hit -23 diopters. Was a relief when was diagnosed in '85. Of course was in 1981-86 so before was popular.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Hey, now there's an idea. And I could even run nylon tubing from my oil pressure sending unit up through each fender so I could have a "gusher" now and then at stop lights. Black gold...Texas tea....

Gordy, the “artist” who built that car years ago, told me that was his idea too but never got around to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Gordy, the “artist” who built that car years ago, told me that was his idea too but never got around to it.

A friend of mine who was into antique motorcycles told me that one of his bikes had a feature where you never drained old oil, you just pulled a lever and it all dumped out at once onto the ground. The Cadillac could work that way through the oil derricks on the fenders!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Rusty, you'd be surprised--as I was when I first

learned--that some Imperials were not luxury cars.

Referring to the pictured 1937 Imperial business coupe,

I wrote, "Imperials in the late 1930's were not luxury cars,

were rather in the middle of the line."

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars,

that Imperial business coupe sold for $1030 and was on 

a wheelbase of only 121 inches.  It was just above the

price level of the low-level Buick Special, whose business

coupe was $913 and which had a 122-inch wheelbase.

The Chrysler Airflow was priced at $1610, which is 50% higher!

Chrysler also had a 1937 Custom Imperial which was quite

expensive, like the Buick Limited, and that's the kind of

car most people think of when they hear of "Imperials"

You might be surprised what was considered luxury in the thirties. In 1937 you could buy a Cadillac for $1550 according to their advertisements (https://www.amazon.com/Only-years-Cadillac-twice-Coupe/dp/B0164HK0MU).

Even the cheapest Imperial sold for twice as much as a Ford. And some were in the Cadillac class. I suppose you could define "luxury" any way you like. If you define it as a car with power steering, air conditioning, automatic transmission and heated seats there were no luxury cars in 1937.

6 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Grimy, I started the thread so I think that we can digress a little bit about cataracts. I knew that I had to deal with the problem, but I've never had any surgery of any kind before. Honestly, I couldn't imagine someone messing with my eyes under any circumstances at all. I hated, however, how I didn't enjoy driving anymore and decided to face the music. It all went wonderfully well.  "Cataract" is a screwy word. A cataract is a waterfall. Long ago someone likened what happens to our aging eyes to looking through a waterfall. For some bizarre reason, the words meaning got transferred.

Hudsy, since you started it!  🙂  The worse one showed up at my driver's license renewal eye test in Oct, but I got the renewal with no restrictions.  I saw the friendly ophthalmologist in Nov and found cataracts in both eyes, didn't want to do it over the holidays, went in last month and both were worse.  I thank God that surgery is now reliable and affordable, as I'm old enough to remember elderly relatives going blind because such surgery was THEN neither reliable nor affordable.

• Like 1

I had my cataracts removed in 2016.  Was only going to have the left one done but the difference was so extreme it was a distraction.  Went from 20/400+ in each eye to 20/25.  First time in 50+ years I did not have to wear glasses all the time.  Took me weeks to stop reaching for them first thing in the morning.  Of all the medical repairs I have had it was the best.  And only cost $20.00.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1