Accesories -- How Do You know When To Stop?

Hudsy Wudsy

2 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I've never seen such conspicuous headlight "awnings" before. They're gigantic.  I wonder what a view of the rear would show? I'll bet it surely has a ground strap and some sort of correct pre-war trailer hitch clamped onto the rear bumper.

I was wondering the same thing, looks like some kind of grille across the back window.  Does kind of remind you of the people you see walking down the street and you think to yourself - I wonder if they looked in the mirror before they left and thought that they looked good as they headed out the door

• Like 1

I see cars like that and assume that it's a guy who likes doing projects but he's already done everything that can be done. I get it--I enjoy the tinkering as much as the driving and would be bummed if I had a car that was "all done" (not like that'll ever happen, but I understand).

FYI, this is what's in the back window:

s-l300.jpg  1940_1948_plymouth_chrysler_blinds.jpg

The good news is that you can take all that stuff off except maybe the windshield visor and the spots, which probably required drilling. Then it will look like this:

001.thumb.JPG.ee70fa4f51c084ff3cdad6d3dd75299e.JPG

Whenever a car shows up with non-stock fender skirts or those headlight covers or visors, my guys know to remove all that stuff before it's even in the door. And windshield visors, IMHO, should be a crime.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

I was wondering the same thing, looks like some kind of grille across the back window.  Does kind of remind you of the people you see walking down the street and you think to yourself - I wonder if they looked in the mirror before they left and thought that they looked good as they headed out the door

The rear window has a venetian blind in it. They were somewhat more popular after the war. You raise a good point about people looking in the mirror before they leave home. I think that for many of us, we loose our objectivity over time and can no longer judge. I'm having a little good natured fun with this Pontiac, but I think that we've all seen beautiful classic cars with so many road lights, fog lights and club badges, etc. on the front that the beauty of the car is lost and muddled. The trouble is who can we trust for objectivity? And will we ever speak to them again after they've been they're honest with us?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Weren't skirts a dealer sanctioned option in 1940?? I know for sure they were a option from 1941.

I know from at least 1948-54 the sunshade visor was a dealer installed option and the skirts were either dealer or factory installed option.

another 40, this car is owned by the AACA - Oakland Pontiac chapters club historian.

AACABlacksburgVA019elg.jpg

I prefer no add on stuff, but as long as it can be removed with out damage no big deal. I was able to purchase (for a car dealer I was working for at the time) a near mint condition 1981 Dodge pick up because it was slathered in after market junk. The original owner was one of those guys that loved it, babied it and like Matt said had to fuss and fiddle with it, because nothing ever needed restoring. Always kept inside and undercoated yearly it was a "Real Peach". The salesman at the Dodge Ram dealer had no idea, and  lowballed the owner on a new one because the original muffler was finally making noise and owners wife wanted new with air conditioning. It was festooned with every piece o' crap available at low price auto parts stores. Hard to tell it was really nice due to the real truck obscured by junk and noisy exhaust.

Spent a day removing the junk, degreasing the exterior where the oil undercoat was and it just sparkled. I was working for a used car dealer that bought it wholesale and said I would take it for myself since my Lil Red Express project was stalled. He said if it doesn't sell within 2 days it was mine. It sold to the 1st guy who seen it even before the ad came out. My huge mistake. Should have just paid full retail!

Edited by Ed Luddy
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harold said:

I'm into early-fifties Plymouths and when I see a low-line car (like a business coupe) loaded with every possible accessory it just looks bogus.

I agree. The base model cars really look bad with add on's. Tri 5 Chevy 150 Del Rays seem to be the worst victims

5 minutes ago, Harold said:

8 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I agree. The base model cars really look bad with add on's. Tri 5 Chevy 150 Del Rays seem to be the worst victims

Would love to see this car in profile.  Because of the angle of the picture I can't tell if it's a A or B body.

29 minutes ago, Harold said:

I'm into early-fifties Plymouths and when I see a low-line car (like a business coupe) loaded with every possible accessory it just looks bogus.

Early-50s Plymouth business coupes may be low-line but not all are - just sayin'.  But I agree about over-accessorizing.

76591138_1937ChryslerImperialBusinessCou

23 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

76591138_1937ChryslerImperialBusinessCou

Imperials in the late 1930's were not luxury cars,

were rather in the middle of the line.  But I get your point---

Since our focus is on correctly preserving history,

I think it's appropriate to keep on the car only the

options which that particular example had.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Many People don't realize in 1940 and 41 Pontiac's were built on "A" body ( with Chevrolet ) "B" body with Buick and Olds, and "C" body Series 62 Cadillac, 90 series Buick and Olds 98.

here is a "C" body 41 Pontiac and notice, that skirt is supposed to be there;

621162-970x441.jpg

It's a matter of taste. Some people think that more is better and strive for every accessory made for their car. If you plan on having your car judged, don't expect to gain extra points by having accessories, as many clubs judge the vehicle as it came off the assembly line. Some will deduct points by having non-authorized accessories. I think an abundance of accessories makes the car look too "California Low Rider", less is more, in most cases.

21 minutes ago, padgett said:

Didn't know that Pontiac had an automagic in '40.

It didn't. Pontiac received HydraMatic in 1948, the same year Buick introduced Dynaflow.

Chevrolet received Powerglide in 1950.

Oldsmobile gets HydraMatic 1940

Cadillac gets Hydramatic in 1941

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Imperials in the late 1930's were not luxury cars,

were rather in the middle of the line.  But I get your point---

Since our focus is on correctly preserving history,

I think it's appropriate to keep on the car only the

options which that particular example had.

The point is business coupes are not necessarily stripped down low-end makes.  Some makes produced them in top-of-the-line trim and some higher-end makes also produced the body style.

If by "particular example" you mean a specific car, it's likely impossible to know what has or hasn't been on it over the past 100 years or so.  Taking that to the absurd, the car should have the factory-installed coolant in the radiator, gas in the tank, oil in the crankcase, and air in the tires.  So I have no problem with a couple OEM accessories regardless whether they were factory, dealer, or owner installed.  I also have no problem with a period-appropriate aftermarket accessory or two.  I do have a problem when the sheer number of accessories makes the car look like a circus wagon.  But it's the owner's to accessorize as he/she pleases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A number of you have correctly noted the difference between factory authorized options and after market items. That's a valid distinction for those who value authenticity and I hadn't given that much thought when I started this topic. I just know that sometimes too much is too much. What good is it all if it makes the car look silly?

• Thanks 1

I took these from an eBay auction many years ago. 

Typically you only see over accessorized cars presented as restored at shows and you wonder IF they were ever really that loaded up when they were new. 

This was obviously some man's dream boat. Likely he had a status in the community and wanted to display his tail feathers.

He must have really felt proud and flashy driving it around. 

When it was finally not usable for transportation he obviously couldn't bear to part with it (some dreams never die) so it got parked next to the driveway and finally upon his death it was going away. 

More than any car I have seen this one really seemed to reflect the personality of its owner. 

ce0b_1.jpg

cfeb_1.jpg

d2e5_1.jpg

d17a_1.jpg

cc1a_1.jpg

I put this out there at the risk of being open to some criticism but....

I bought it to save from heading to the scrapper due to a divorce pretty much as you see it.

I added the visor, tonneau cover, door glass rain shields, headlight eyebrows and chromed the hood nose trim all of which could be taken off if wanting too.

It has it's original flat head (albeit smoking) V8 (NOT a SBC!) with a three speed on the column transmission, rebuilt standard brake system and it's original 6 V "positive ground" wiring.

2007693693_Sept152011-pic2-Copy(3).thumb.JPG.424a77ffc90556bc014fb8ec365dc0bf.JPG

It's a fun driver, not a street rod, good to 55 mph with it's original gearing in the rear end.

Like it or hate it... it's paid for. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys may not care for these people's accessory add-ons but on a global level, they're strictly amateurs. 

The Filipinos have taken accessorizing bling to DEFCON 2 level. 😄

9639ac24fcf8dda18f587a05d6a58f65.jpg

Well, that era isn't really my cup of tea. However, I have closely examined, studied would be a better word perhaps, literally tens of thousands by now original era photographs. Mostly I study 1930 and earlier, although I have probably examined a couple thousand from 1930 to '60 as well.

My opinion. I like my cars to look like they were cut out of an era photograph. If the cars really, in considerable numbers, had certain accessories? I don't mind them on cars. I have had a few cars, mostly model Ts, and mostly a couple speedsters, that had quite a few accessories. But I also had what I referred to as my "well accessorized coupe"! I never counted, but between after-market headlamp lenses, the fatman wheel, a Ruckstell (one of the few accessories that Henry Ford actually approved! An original era overdrive transmission and brakes, it must have had well over a dozen accessories. But nothing gaudy.

Most of my non-Fords have had an item or two. Many cars had added radiator caps, most with Motometers. A spotlight here, original era rear-view mirror there. The '25 Studebaker I had had a very nice after-marked BiFlex front bumper. My series 80 Pierce Arrow had a very nice original era trunk on the back, a perfect fit, not too small, yet understated. My intention for the '15 T runabout is that it will have one visible non-factory item. An original brass era rear-view mirror (Califunny actually requires two, but I don't plan to put on a second one).

When one studies era photos? One does see a fair number of after-market accessories on cars. And, occasionally, even a gaudy over-the-top car. But gaudy cars were not common, not in the '10s and '20s, not in the '40s and '50s. And certainly NOT in the '30s! Personally, I like cars that look like most any car in a traffic picture. 

I do think that some small amount of accessorizing should be allowed in car shows. That is the way cars were used when they were nearly new!

But that is me.

• Like 1

The most accessorized (or “excessorized”) Model T I have ever see was one I unearthed in 2015 after an almost 50 year slumber. If I recall there were over 20 accessories. First picture is after I cleaned it up, second picture is Louis Secon, builder of the car. This b/w picture was taken at a car show celebrating 25 years of the AACA!

B3CB6C1F-4A37-4E59-A7ED-FC9769E2FAC8.jpeg

C7E023C6-2CD8-4A1C-890D-7A8054E2A52A.jpeg

12 hours ago, m-mman said:

I took these from an eBay auction many years ago. 

Typically you only see over accessorized cars presented as restored at shows and you wonder IF they were ever really that loaded up when they were new. 

This was obviously some man's dream boat. Likely he had a status in the community and wanted to display his tail feathers.

He must have really felt proud and flashy driving it around. 

When it was finally not usable for transportation he obviously couldn't bear to part with it (some dreams never die) so it got parked next to the driveway and finally upon his death it was going away. 

More than any car I have seen this one really seemed to reflect the personality of its owner. 

cfeb_1.jpg

d2e5_1.jpg

d17a_1.jpg

cc1a_1.jpg

Look at the side profile of this 57 StarChief 4 dr. hardtop. Although I don't like it at all and I prefer to see a Chieftain Catalina 2 dr hardtop or a Chieftain 2 dr sedan like the one that won the 1957 Grand national Race at Daytona that ushered in Pontiac's announcement to the world that "We are going racing and build some excitement" I totally get what this guy was trying to do. He probably saw a 1958 Cadillac 60 Special;

ce0b_1.jpgImage result for 1958 cadillac fleetwood 60 special

So to answer the question " How do you know when to stop"

If I was judging a car it would be simple. Most judges will not know or have a build sheet on the vehicle and that means anything that was a factory option or a factory authorized dealer installed option is OK.

If it's a street car going down the street?, Well for now we live in a country that will allow you to do almost anything (with the exception of safety concerns and emissions tampering) you want to do and I like it that way. 

Despite my distaste for many accessories (and too many accessories), I still think you should stop only when you're happy with the car. What I like is limited to me and mine. What you like is your business. I can respect that and as long as you're having fun, it's all good!

Nevertheless, this one still bothered me a lot. A sun visor on a convertible?!? WTF?

IMG_20161108_143147955_HDRa.thumb.jpg.5213a828f39b70ac1f83f670b1227415.jpg

• Haha 2