oil filter for 1929 commander

Thats a tough decision, if you find a 60 year old filter do you dare put it on a good engine and have all the rotted Cotton fibers clog the rod bearings or the insect larve eggs plug the cam bearings???

Just hollow out your old filter and let the judges think it is real and then hide a modern FRESH canister filter underneath somewhere. Most guys feel the partial flow filters were almost worthless and you should just change your oil more frequently than the EPA tells you to.

Stude8

John,

If you want your car to look authentic when you lift up the hood for everyone to see, then you will want to find what was called a "Pancake" filter. Originally it was an enclosed throw away and is about 2 1/2 wide and about the size and shape of a pie plate. It is usually hard to find because they were throw aways. The usual type you see now, the cylindrical, which later was made from also being a throw away to a modern "canister" style which had a changeable filter. If I find someone who does have the "Pancake" style, I usually encourage them to plug the in and out lines, and change the oil more frequently. In my opinion, nothing looks more tacky when someone lifts up the hood than seeing a non-original big oil canister that has been bolted onto the side of the block where it was never intended to belong. I will try and post a picture of a pancake filter later.

Here is a picture of a "pancake filter" on a 1929 Dictator a friend is restoring. This is the same filter used on the Commander. My friend has the filter on for "show" it is not a "working" filter for all the reasons already stated in previous posts here. These filters are nearly impossible to find and when found need restored but can never really be used. Only mounted for looks. This one looks like it is working, but it is not. Here is the picture:

pancakefilter.jpg

can you post more pictures of your engine? I have a 29 FD that I'm working on and would love to see some nice pictures of what everything is supposed to look like.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been wondering about the filter on my 29 President. I went to all the trouble to hand build the dicast conector on the filter only to figure that these were dealer installed and to be thrown away and replaced with a new unit on occasion. I now know to paint the one I have and plug the conector I made. That is what makes this site so valuable.

Thanks

Dave Woodson

• 10 months later...