Jim Bird

Air Conditioning

The air on my 1990 16 valve has not functioned since I bought it six years ago. Now I would like to repair and convert it to134a. Parts like compressor, drier, expansion valve and evaporator seem to be readily available from Rock Auto. However the system has leakage from hoses and crimped fittings etc. Can anyone suggest a source for these? 

2 hours ago, Jim Bird said:

The air on my 1990 16 valve has not functioned since I bought it six years ago. Now I would like to repair and convert it to134a. Parts like compressor, drier, expansion valve and evaporator seem to be readily available from Rock Auto. However the system has leakage from hoses and crimped fittings etc. Can anyone suggest a source for these? 

There are some places that can install new hose on your old A/C lines. Check around at hydraulic hose repair shops. Here in AZ there are several near my location. 
l’m wondering if you have actually found correct compressor at Rock Auto.

I shop Rock Auto and parts that fit TCs are very limited, and your’s is unique.

Like Hemi said, you can have the hoses rebuilt. A reputable hose repair shop will replace the rubber and recrimp them. I've had some done for other cars where the hoses were no longer available. 

FOUR SEASONS 57231  Reman; Compressor w/ Clutch  Info
w/ R4 Compressor; w/ 4-5/8" Dia. Pulley; Compressor may differ in appearance from OE. Please refer to installation kit provided.

<
Part image
>
$152.99 $13.33 $166.32  
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

This is the type compressor that is used on the 16 valve TC engine. ThisIS JUST AN EXAMPLE. but may indeed fit. More thorough cross-reference of part numbers IS REQUIRED TO VERIFY. I looked up a 1980 Chevy CITATION to get this part number and picture.

Good luck.

Thanks Hemi and Mathew. Will follow up with hydraulic hose shop

Jim Bird