NEED HELP WITH TRANSMISSION SWAP

Julian Sepulveda

I have a 1970 buick skylark with a chevy 350 (yes I know, Im not a purist) with a th350. I'm on a bit of a budget and I wanted to find either a 2004r or a 700r4 from a junkyard to put in. It is a semi daily driver/strip burner with a gm 8.5 posi with 4.11 gears in the back (yes I know its a lot of gear, which is why I want overdrive). I can do all the work on my own if it bolts right in, but I was wondering how much fabrication would either one need? which one is better on gas or drag racing?

Most importantly, which cars would be good donor cars with this kind of thing?

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Why would you post this question three times?  You already have replies on your other post.

I made two posts, one about the transmission and the other one about the differential. however, my computer is pretty old and tends to freeze so it may have posted the same question multiple times 

Hi Julian ! And welcome to AACA forums ! We have exactly the right guys to help you. Scroll down to BUICK PRODUCTS. You will enjoy two categories there ; Buick - Modified, and  Buick - Performance Group. These guys and gals are the best of the best. I am a pre-war Cadillac guy, but love to drop in to see what these world-class experts brew up. Quite a few of them are so hard core and busy with Buicks, that they never stray from the Buick forums. Good luck, Julian. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.    -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

700r4 is a great transmission. Should be able to find one in a local salvage yard. Late 80's to early 90's would be what you would want. Before the change to the 4L60E. Not sure when the Speedo cable went to the VSS? 91-92? You can change out the VSS, and go back to the Speedo cable. To work with your stock speedometer. Trans kick down cable can be taken from donor car, as well as fill tube. Very easy to shorten fill tube and dip stick as well. Trans mount will move back a little. And a drive line mod. Shift linkage is very easy to change. You should all ready have a back up light switch,and neutral safety switch somewhere in your stock set up. The only other thing to consider is clearance on the floor/tunnel. That would be the only reason to consider the 200r4. Lots of 700r4 out there with no computer control needed. That is just what I have heard.😀

IMG_20191219_184705196.jpg