Advertisement picture taken from top of Touring car never seen one like this before

Mark Gregory

I came across this picture. After investigating it seems Leslies Magazine was one famous magazine.

The word Uncle Sam was first used in this publication.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Not unusual for the cover on a folded top to come down over the seat back on cars of that era.  It keeps the air from getting under it and making it a drag chute.

• Like 3

We have had two cars with boot covers that came About half way down the back seat... really uncomfortable to lean against for a long period of time. I really like the design in the picture. The real way to solve the problem is to sit in the front and drive and make the kids deal with the uncomfortable lump across the back seat... I am pretty sure that’s what my dad was doing. 

Have seen similar ads before. One was for a "Chum - mee" roadster that had the passenger seat set back a few inches compared to the driver's seat or a "Cloverleaf" roadster with 2 seats in front and 1 behind. In other words, highlighting a unique seating position of a sporty body style.