1928 Chrysler Model 72 Roadster

leomara

Are there any "gently used" out there looking for a new home?  Not looking for a "trailer queen" or "show car" (no offense intended).  Current conditions favor an older restoration in need of attention or a partial restoration in need of completion or an unrestored functional vehicle.  

This has recently been put on the Chrysler section of AACA.  Just needs a little bit of love and a polish !!!!

Oregon Desert model 45

•  
  • Oregon Desert model 45
  • Members
  • 502 posts

NOT MINE.  CONTACT OWNER THRU CRAIGSLIST USING BELOW LINK

https://houston.craigslist.org/atq/d/lyons-1928-chrysler-model-72-roadster/7065069709.html

1928 Chrysler model 72 Roadster - $3200 (Brenham ,TX)

2020-02-02 19_34_09-1928 Chrysler model 72 Roadster - antiques - by owner - collectibles....jpg

2020-02-02 19_33_12-1928 Chrysler model 72 Roadster - antiques - by owner - collectibles....jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not trying to offend you, but you’re asking about a fairly scarce and desirable car, then adding that you don’t want to pay a lot for it. At least that’s how I read your add. Most “gently used” cars are well loved as are the trailer queens, the unrestored cars are going to look like what’s above because if not they would have been restored in the heyday of their popularity.

Fairy tails do come true, but you really seem to be reaching IMO...

Mark, really?  Do you own one?  Do you have one to sell?  If not, no offense but you are making assumptions about my intentions and finances which you know nothing about.  Thanks for your speculative and unsolicited opinion....................     

Since you are not looking for a show queen, my assumption is that you really like driving your cars. Me too. I see that you entered official old age back mid- October. I've been there five years longer. I encourage you to beat the bushes as aggressively as possible to flush out that '28. My'27 Cadillac popped up on Portland Oregon Craigslist while I was looking for something else, less than 200 miles from home. I had given up after looking for 20 years for just exactly the right one. I had already had serious health problems, including my first heart attack. So I hesitated for a couple or three days , and then went for it. After the time and expense of mechanically sorting it, I feel very lucky to be able to spend quality time with it. It is EXACTLY the right one. 

Where else are you looking ? Let us know, and please, everyone,  do what you  can to help our brother find his dream while he can still thoroughly enjoy it.    -     Carl 

No, I don’t have one, my point is that beating up the forum group with “is this the best you can do?” Isn’t going to find you one. By limiting it with your “no trailer queen” means you are not interested in the high end market, and generally looking for gently used means you have a budget.

I guess I was wrong, so I apologize and offer that you can do a search on google and keep looking. I can guarantee that you will not find a line of people busting down your door to sell you one, it took a couple years to find the right Pierce-Arrow I was interested in and in my case gently used is turning into around $7500 in extra engine work on top of the price of admission. You might want To avoid this by looking at the trailer queens as well as any other ones you are lucky enough to see for sale. 

Oh, and that google search only shows three that were openly listed since 2017, here’s one of them:

https://hymanltd.com/1928-chrysler-model-72-roadster/

Good luck.

Thank you Mark.  Now you have provided me with some serious things to consider.  I appreciate your input and will consider what you have said.  Oh, and my intent was not to beat up the forum, just an indelicate way of evoking a response.  My bad.......

I think I was having a bad day too, your post hit a nerve and I was a jerk. I truly apologize.

Here are some other things that might help. For a while I scoffed at the idea of joining the Pierce-Arrow Society before buying a car, this was a mistake! After finally finding one, I joined it only to find that many more cars were offered privately through the club and sold within it. I could have been driving one much earlier and maybe without the extra work. That said, are you a member of an early Chrysler group of any kind? I personally don't do Facebook, but I keep hearing there’s a great Model T group as well as Pierce, maybe you can connect with someone there who can steer you in the right direction. There was a nice looking Model 73 on eBay a while back I think sold in the 18k region, are you only looking for the much scarce model 75, or would you look at similar albeit lower models? Try not to paint yourself in a corner, sometimes that lesser model was the better mechanically.

The twice weekly google search is just one way to skin your knuckles, it’s going to be hard to find the right one, and you might get lucky like Auburnseeker did and get one sent your way, but your best bet is networking through the relevant clubs.

Good luck, I hope you find it 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 4:15 PM, leomara said:

Are there any "gently used" out there looking for a new home?  Not looking for a "trailer queen" or "show car" (no offense intended).  Current conditions favor an older restoration in need of attention or a partial restoration in need of completion or an unrestored functional vehicle.  

Check with the WPC (Walter P. Chrysler) club, and search the Chrysler / Dodge forums here.

OR go on   www. bringatrailer.com or www.oldcarsandmore.com . or www.carsonline.com , or similar web sites.

Just a couple of ways to cast a bigger net.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The earlier high compression heads were labeled redhead (I’ve a friend who spent a few decades finding one for his):

Allpar and Wikipedia should have the engine specs your looking for, though I will say I’ve never seen a spitfire head on a prewar car (a few things look “off” to me on the green car):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_flathead_engine

This one is on the HCCA site (leaving phone info to the other website):

https://www.hcca.org/admore.php?num=14447

1928 Chrysler Sport Roadster, AACA National 1st.

The following into is on the main page (select return to ads, from the above link): 

This Chrysler is in Excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition

In 1928, Chrysler sent 4- 72 Deluxe roadsters to Le mans finishing 3rd and 4th

Also entered and received a class win at the Mille Miglia in Italy. Today the car is eligible for the Le mans classic, and Storica Mille Miglia

Just completed a through service, and is ready to go. Quality Professional restoration, justified by a AACA national first

Fitted with:

1. Trunk rack
  2. Side curtains
  3. Golf club door
  4. "Mercury Wing" cap
  5. Rumble seat
  6. Red Head Engine

This car is fun to drive, easy to steer, easy to stop with great hydraulic brakes, and a fun, sporty Chrysler

Car in CA and offered at $54,900. OBO

CD69229E-23E7-4336-A662-6AA6730BE7D1.jpeg

411033D7-D1D4-438D-A50B-927CF633E688.jpeg

Edited by SparkEE
Added more details (see edit history)

On 3/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, SparkEE said:

This one is on the HCCA site (leaving phone info to the other website):

https://www.hcca.org/admore.php?num=14447

1928 Chrysler Sport Roadster, AACA National 1st.

The following into is on the main page (select return to ads, from the above link): 

This Chrysler is in Excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition

In 1928, Chrysler sent 4- 72 Deluxe roadsters to Le mans finishing 3rd and 4th

Also entered and received a class win at the Mille Miglia in Italy. Today the car is eligible for the Le mans classic, and Storica Mille Miglia

Just completed a through service, and is ready to go. Quality Professional restoration, justified by a AACA national first

Fitted with:

1. Trunk rack
  2. Side curtains
  3. Golf club door
  4. "Mercury Wing" cap
  5. Rumble seat
  6. Red Head Engine

This car is fun to drive, easy to steer, easy to stop with great hydraulic brakes, and a fun, sporty Chrysler

Car in CA and offered at $54,900. OBO

CD69229E-23E7-4336-A662-6AA6730BE7D1.jpeg

411033D7-D1D4-438D-A50B-927CF633E688.jpeg

Looks like Roland Funk's old roadster. Roland lived in Sunland, Ca, and was a fixture in the WPC Club for many years. I believe this car was featured as one of the Chryslers on the large posters that came out sometime in the late 70s early 80s. What a gorgeous car.

Edited by dpcdfan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...