Driveshaft help please

Not that big of a deal. Just need the shaft from the trans back and the shaft from the rear end forward and mate the two. If all else fails I have a lathe here that would do it. Just waiting for an electrician to come and get some 3 phase power hooked up to code in a commercial setting. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The funny thing is that I have the parts. The problem I have is I don’t have the knowledge or equipment to do it. I do know how it should look when done. All the places I’ve taken it to want to find a premade end that doesn’t exist. It’s like they have the ability to make it, but it’s too much work and it’s a one time setup soooo we will pass. One place told me it was too expensive to make a new female splined shaft since it is one of a kind. I asked what he meant, he said he had one similar made and it cost several thousand. He also explained that making a female spline shaft is quite hard and time consuming.

13 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Not that big of a deal. Just need the shaft from the trans back and the shaft from the rear end forward and mate the two. If all else fails I have a lathe here that would do it. Just waiting for an electrician to come and get some 3 phase power hooked up to code in a commercial setting. Dandy Dave!

You are my hero, Dandy Dave!  You are rebuilding the world’s obscure machinery like it’s just an everyday event!  Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

I would suggest you go somewhere like Dandy Dave’s description, and once you have it spliced together and fit to your vehicle call one of the driveshaft or clutch places to get it properly balanced. Just consider the vibrations - an out of balance driveshaft is very dangerous!

There is a clutch and brake place in Bangor Maine that would do just the balancing for the customers who were customizing or chopping cars, a lot of larger truck places have the capability as well so they can stretch truck frames for specific applications.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, TerryB said:

You are my hero, Dandy Dave!  You are rebuilding the world’s obscure machinery like it’s just an everyday event!  Keep up the good work.

Thanks TerryB. From where I'm sitting it is just all in a days work. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

Just an FYI. Johns place doesn’t do driveshafts. He sends then to action machine in south bend

i have talked to Chicago drive line and he’s not able to help. He also gave me another place to call. I was able to call them and at least he knew what a blood brothers joint was and is checking to see if they still have the fixture to be able to balance it when done. Action machine is also looking for some options.