What is a GENESIS? Saw Super Bowl Comercial

1937hd45

Several years ago a couple of friends and I were standing outside a steakhouse waiting on the valet to bring our car (not really the valet type, but in Indy it is often cheaper than the parking garages)... the boys in the red jackets were going on about how nice a car it was.  That is the only one I have ever seen, or at least noticed. 

• Like 1

In 2017 I received a car rental upgrade to a Genesis for a week-long rental.  My greatest problem was entering and exiting due to the severely raked windshield, which required me to run the seat back (I'm short) to exit without bumping my noggin.  It was a pleasure to drive otherwise, but the Genesis seemed, to me, to lack the "refinement" of a Toyota Avalon.

• Like 1

The Genesis has been on my radar for some time. I like it because it's a rear wheel drive, high end, luxury car, from a trusted manufacturer. It's also in AWD which is intriguing, but a little more then I need. If there is a downside to the model I'd like to hear about it, from someone who owns one. Unlike Grimy, I'm tall and the seating seldom is in the forward position. 

To be clear I have never bought a new car in my life, and at 75 yo I'm not about to now. My transportation consists of well cared for RW drive cars, when they become affordable. The Avalon does not come in RW drive. I don't like the looks, or seating of the Cressida or Lexus. I still like the Chrysler 300, but they are everywhere.

4 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

new, I think the Genesis is around 75k

Im with Grimy- If I were buying a car like that, Ild take the Avalon. does the same for me for half the price.

If you're looking for an Avalon, consider a 2004-2007 Volkswagen Phaeton.  And you might find one with a W12.

A VERY undermarketed car at the time.  Its everything an Audi A8 is and more.

Craig

lots of apples and oranges comparisons.  Avalon is on the FWD Camry platform, as is the Lexus ES. Approach is sometimes called "Japanese Buick."  Comfort over performance. Excellent build quality.

The Audi A8 and VW Phaeton are on a common platform.  Lots of technology and performance, and very expensive repairs. 

Hyundai tried before with the G series.  An issue they had was the leasing market - the weak resale made for expensive leases.  They have the long powertrain warranty, but their past history on componentry quality has not been good.  They are evolving, so where they are now is a question

The 300 is based on an old Mercedes E platform, but significantly modified.  Same platform as the Charger and Challenger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

If you're looking for an Avalon, consider a 2004-2007 Volkswagen Phaeton.  And you might find one with a W12.

A VERY undermarketed car at the time.  Its everything an Audi A8 is and more.

Craig

A great car that's easy to buy but hard to own. Be sure to take out the second mortgage to pay for maintenance.

Fun fact: Audi dealers will not take Audis on trade that are out of warranty because even they can't afford to fix them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes- I was holding my tongue but can't resist chiming in that I wouldn't take a Phaeton or a W12 if you gave to me one as a gift. I have also been bit in the bottom twice by 8 cyl Audi's and I wont be driving any of their products again I can promise you. However according to the press Audi reliability has increased considerably the over last few years- so hey who cares what I think! ...my wife certainly doesn't

I had an issue clearly related to a defect with an Audi a few years ago.  The local dealer stonewalled me, but sometimes it's useful to have worked in the auto industry.  After a call to the head office for the US, the dealer told me that as a "special goodwill accommodation" they would fix it.

So I second murray's comments

23 minutes ago, TTR said:

What is ”Super Bowl” ? Never seen one in my life. 

Is it some carburetor add-on, something for fruits and soups or perhaps larger capacity toilets ? 🤔

You could take the family to Pebble Beach in August for the cost of a Super Bowl ticket for one. Bob 

9 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

You could take the family to Pebble Beach in August for the cost of a Super Bowl ticket for one. Bob 

So is it safe to assume "Super Bowl" (what ever it is or used for) not being very popular as I've rarely seen many entire families at P.B. ? 😯

Major league bowling. Contestants must bowl 300 in tryouts.

Have thought for some time that Kia/Hyundai (same company) are what the Japanese import used to be. Excellent quality and warranty, reasonable price. Have seen a few Genesys' around, less than Teslas, but have too many doors for me (my Jeerp has four doors, is a great tow car, and is enough).

Lady I've been seeing says my Caddy's doors are too heavy and dangerous. Reminds me of J. Pat O'Malley  in the Gumball Rally.

7 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The Genesis has been on my radar for some time. I like it because it's a rear wheel drive, high end, luxury car, from a trusted manufacturer. It's also in AWD which is intriguing, but a little more then I need. If there is a downside to the model I'd like to hear about it, from someone who owns one. Unlike Grimy, I'm tall and the seating seldom is in the forward position. 

The Genesis line being RWD is why I have been giving them a look for my next daily driver.

I have been looking at used BMW 5 series as well but don't know if I want to wrench on one as much as I drive it.

I'm tired of working on the FWD platform. It just flat out sucks.

Had a beater 2005 Kia Optima that ran flawless for hundreds of thousands of miles so even before they 'evolved' they were reliable if you took care of them.

That Kia also had the best AC in any car I've ever owned.  It could be 115* out and after a few minutes of driving I had to turn the fan down to '2'.

Problem was, most people that bought them because they were cheap were far less likely to do regular maintenance on them so they didn't last long.

Returning to the Genesis, there are three sedan models -- the 70 (smallish), 80 (medium sized luxury), and the 90 (super-luxury). Sit in the back seat of the latter and it will blow you away. They also have an SUV. And their vehicles are covered by a 10-year 100,000-mile powertrain warranty,

I was just at the Houston Auto Show (an exhibition of all the new cars) and sat in the luxury sedans that I was interested in. Genesis was tops, followed by Lincoln Continental. The Cadillac looked really cheap inside. The Lexus LS 500 (keep in mind I drive an LS-460) was disappointing because they've adopted an ugly dashboard with distracting controls and gone to a twin-turbo V-6. I prefer V-8s not for power (most cars are way overpowered), but smoothness and the quiet exhaust. And I don't want the complexity and maintenance of twin turbos. Didn't consider any of the German cars because of maintenance issues; I've already owned a BMW and once was enough. Also didn't consider any of the super-exotic or super-expensive makes (Bentley et al).

Right now my preferences are 1) Genesis, 2) Lincoln Continental (if I can tolerate its -6) or 3) a used but low-mile second-generation LS-460 due to the V-8, decent economy for a luxury car (25-28 on the highway), reliability (I've gotten 212,000 near-trouble-free miles out of my 2007 model) and wonderful simplicity of controls compared to the current electronic disasters.

Meanwhile the pickup trucks are absurdly expensive -- even the half-tons now up to the $60,000 range, the one-tons $80,000 plus/. Some of the SUVs seemed like far better value for the money.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TerryB said:

Yes, the Lexus version of the Hyundai auto.  Seen a few locally, don’t know anyone who owns one. They do look good for a big sedan body style.

I'm on my 2nd Genesis. Very good cars. This is my current winter car when it's not snowing. 10 years old over 250,000 kilometers, runs and drives like a Mercedes.

Cost less to buy and maintain any German make. Hyundai copied the Japanese Lexus push into the luxury market very well. These 1st gen. sedans very well built and unlike Euro cars, they don't have fragile, expensive parts.

genesisetc 010.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Nice car until the timing chain components let go.

Or all your transmission fluid ends up in your coolant, or the rear windows decide to open themselves while parked in the rain, or the rubber doughnut that holds the driveshaft in place evaporates, or a relatively mild rain fills your trunk with water via the sunroof, or you like adding two quarts of mobile 1 between oil changes even though you can’t ever find a drop under it or see or smell anything in the exhaust. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gossp said:

Or all your transmission fluid ends up in your coolant, or the rear windows decide to open themselves while parked in the rain, or the rubber doughnut that holds the driveshaft in place evaporates, or a relatively mild rain fills your trunk with water via the sunroof, or you like adding two quarts of mobile 1 between oil changes even though you can’t ever find a drop under it or see or smell anything in the exhaust. 

I was a Cadillac fan for decades. But a CTS ended that. Allantes' didn't help the cause either! 

I was never a Cadillac man, well... I borrowed a 1908 for a tour once and really liked that car, and the 37 model 65 was nice for the couple years we had it... when the CTS came out I was in love. I had to have one, and it served me worse than that v12 jag I had to have years before. 

oh yeah... on the cts it is also important to like opening the drivers door with a key, because the micro switches that open the door with the door handle go bad. 

54 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

?????????????????????????????????

Sorry, just my (odd ?) sense of humor running with the idea of poll being taken whether this forum should exclude or include modern and/or modified cars and IIRC, poll is set to close on the 8th. 

Just now, TTR said:

Sorry, just my (odd ?) sense of humor running with the idea of poll being taken whether this forum should exclude or include modern and/or modified cars and IIRC, poll is set to close on the 8th. 

OK, I thought the Walmart lot was going to be banned on the 8th, darn. Bob 

Is is to laugh. I have an '11 CTS coupe. Timing chain issues fixed. no rear windows, uses no oil (Mobil 1 from Walmart) in 18 months, there is no key hole in the doors (pull latch in trunk) is easy to clean the switches., Is my third Caddy: 67 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (picnic tebles in back), and a '67 Eldo. I like DOHC-6s. Trouble was I wanted a GM Coupe and have had Camaros and Corvettes.Fortunately central Florida is target rich. Disposed of my 93 GTP with DOHC-6 and Getrag 5 speed & needed a replacement.

Said I had a gaggle of Vegas I liked no problem just have to keep cool (AC cars had real radiators). In fact have had a number of interesting cars usually bought cheap that got panned often because not understood (lose oil pressure in a DOHC FIAT 124 ? The slinger on the end of the crank needs to be cleaned periodically, not as often if synthetic oil is used).

Just waiting for someone to dump a nice XLR.