Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gregory

Just because you are wealthy does not mean you can design a good looking RR

I don't think anyone ever accused the Brits of styling and engineering excellence  ( save for the XKE ). I flew a British airplane for a number of years. It was dowdy looking and the systems were archaic to the point of laughable, but it did get the job done..........Bob

Not only the E-type Was a good design but the Spitfire was a hell of an airplane. 

It's a well known car. I was told – and cannot verify this – that RR was so horrified by it that they cancelled the warranty on the car. Photos of it have been around the RR community for years, always citing it as about the worst body ever mounted on one - although I'd be inclined to give that trophy to some of the creations for Indian rajas and native princes.

18 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

It's a well known car. I was told – and cannot verify this – that RR was so horrified by it that they cancelled the warranty on the car. Photos of it have been around the RR community for years, always citing it as about the worst body ever mounted on one - although I'd be inclined to give that trophy to some of the creations for Indian rajas and native princes.

The same was true of the John Lennon Rolls Royce Phantom.  RR would not paint it the way he wanted it done, agreeing to supply it only in black.

Craig

Since we are talking about saloons (sedans) why just tout the XKE. Throughout the 70's and 80's Jaguar produced some to the most beautiful two and four door sedans, that were ever built.

5 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Since we are talking about saloons (sedans) why just tout the XKE. Throughout the 70's and 80's Jaguar produced some to the most beautiful two and four door sedans, that were ever built.

I agree.   Find me a better looking four door than the MK 10 Jaugar?

Mk10Jaguar.jpg

Just because you are wealthy does not mean you can design a good looking RR

Not true! Not true!

main-qimg-72f335ac985911dee557c5b2158bd19d-c

• Like 1

And don't forget the dual gas tank fillers on the Mk X though with the 4.2 it was somewhat sedate. And for the easy confused we have the 3.8S which had a MK 2 front and a Mk X rear. A decade before the Gremlin.

What a 57 Chev thingie should look like (and has a retractable roof). Does production of 60 units count ?

nosesm.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I kind of like it. The back view kind of reminds me of a Crosley. 

That's true, I hadn't noticed that. Who wouldn't want to alter their Rolls Royce to look more like a Crosley?