Is this the place for BCA political discussions

MrEarl

Some recent club political oriented posts here in this General Discussion forum brought me to wonder... again ... "Is this the place for Club Politics to be discussed or can there be a Discussion Forum set up in the BCA website "Members Only Area" where such BCA business and political discussions as this can be held amongst Members so it is not hung out here in a public forum like dirty laundry for all, including possible future members to see. I can only imagine what newcomers to this forum might think about joining a club where there is this much continued bickering and ill will between individuals and divisions. I also suspect some of the decline in existing users here is due to the same. I know I don't come here near as much as I use to, partly because of all the complaining, pissin and moaning and negativity that went on during the last round of elections. I've never felt this is the place for  national  or BCA Club politics to be discussed. It is impossible for a Moderator to deal with some of the issues that need attention in these discussions without they themselves being misinterpreted or wrongly perceived and often times thrown under the bus for just trying to do their job. Ask me how I know THAT.  I am not saying these discussions are not beneficial, they are, and they often bring about needed change, I'm just askin is this the place for it. If it can even be done, a BCA website Members Only discussion forum could provide an alternative. Something for the BOD and website manager @Peter Gariepyto possibly discuss and consider? Maybe, maybe not......

and I'll just throw it out here for some preliminary discussion. or at least give it a "Like" if you agree it's worth considering or a "HaHa" if it's a crazy idea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

No way to isolate just bca members. thats the problem.

Thanks Peter. I understand that to be the problem with doing it here on the AACA site,  but could a simple Discussion Forum be established in the BCA Website "Members Only" area for it. Probably not easily nor without cost.

or are you saying non members would still manage to break in and post in the BCA site. ?

• Like 3

Ben,

If I could reach through this computer I'd give you a big ol' hug and a sloppy kiss (well, not really on the kiss part) for putting in print what a lot of us feel about people hiding behind a moniker.  For a person to hide behind a moniker is rude, suspicious, and folks wonder just what they are hiding from and who.  In my thinking, anyone who does not post their real name has no credibility for anything that they say or post.  That's just the way it is.  Thanks again Ben for putting it out there like it is.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

No way to isolate just bca members. thats the problem

The Riviera Owners Association prints the password to their members-only forum section in their magazine. That way, only those who are members or who get courtesy copies of the magazine have the access code. I'm sure it's not entirely fool-proof, since members can hand off their magazines to a non-member, but it seems like a good system to me. And to prevent those who don't renew their membership from continued members-only access, the ROA changes the password every few months in their subsequent magazines. Not high-tech, but seems like a pretty good solution to the problem, if you ask me.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

The Riviera Owners Association prints the password to their members-only forum section in their magazine. That way, only those who are members or who get courtesy copies of the magazine have the access code. I'm sure it's not entirely fool-proof, since members can hand off their magazines to a non-member, but it seems like a good system to me. And to prevent those who don't renew their membership from continued members-only access, the ROA changes the password every few months in their subsequent magazines. Not high-tech, but seems like a pretty good solution to the problem, if you ask me.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

The the forum here on the AACA forums. 

Yes, we can put a password on a forum. But it's going to have limited security.  However, before I create a "BCA website Members Only discussion" I'd like to hear from the BCA Board they actually want it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always been fascinated that any car club would air dirty laundry on a public forum.

The damage done is huge.  If I were a new guy, have an old Buick, and looking for a club to join...do you really think I’d pursue membership in the club that’s fighting amongst itself on this forum?

I do have an old Buick, 1910 Model 16, but have found with many clubs the early cars are pretty much ignored.  I had a 1910 Hudson, joined the club, only to find if you didn’t have a step down then not much respect nor information.

To the Buick club, stay on AACA forum for information, but if you want to discuss crappy leadership or personal biases, go somewhere else.  Doing so here casts a very dark shadow on your club.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

How or who is the determinant of what is "political?"  

I responded to a question from a forum and BCA member regarding how the club can be losing members when he sees 75 to 100 new member names each month.  I made no accusations against any BOD member.  I made no accusation toward any BCA member.   

The group that won the election won it with more support from BCA members than the group I was aligned with.  I believe the changes and actions they have made since the contentious election are fine.  They ran on the concepts of appointments.  I think if a BCA member new or old wants to enjoy the club, they will find ways.  

When you win as decisively as that group did, you should be able to appoint whoever you want.   I just respectfully questioned membership retention management, since all BOD candidates run on the concept of growing membership.  

I'm for a membership only section for political discussions.  

• Like 1

As there is already a Members Only section, pass-worded of sorts, where the e-BUGLE resides, why not put the Discussion Forum there?

ONE possible issue with the Members Only General Discussion Forum is that it would probably only see participation by those who 'had something to talk about".  End result is that the desired audience would not be there.  Only those who were talking about something.  Not the bigger audience of the general membership who come to the AACA-hosted Buick Club forums.  Which can be good and not-so-good.  NOR will it reach every BCA member who might care or have an interest in what was being discussed.

In the prior "cycles" of "news", I invested far too much time with posters (in posts and in PMs) with people who had their mind already made up, even if they might be more recent BCA members.  Don't need to do that again!  Don't plan on it, either!

MUCH better to keep the soap in the washing machines, dirty laundry washed, dried, and folded in the dresser drawers . . . for ALL involved.  No fun in that for some?

There used to be a Members Only forum for the BCA Chapter Directors to exchange information.  After an initial flurry of activity, it flat-lined.

Enjoy!

Willis Bell 20811

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do i think this is the place for political club issues basically in public?    NO

Do i think it should be in a private type forum?    YES

Do i think it will work?     PROBABLY NOT

i believe that sometimes the people that are posting some of this (NOT ALL) want a public forum

if they wanted to try to solve problems they could call the higher ups or maybe they don't want a one on one

get involved with a chapter and see how that works (THEY MIGHT BE) work with the system talk to your chapter board

I like having my "handle"  on my comments but if you log in you can see my info I don't hide just want the people

who are really part of this to see my info NOT TROLLS

Many good comments above, now you have mine

sorry about a bit of the New York attitude

Lamar hope this helps

Marty   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

Do i think this is the place for political club issues basically in public?    NO

Do i think it should be in a private type forum?    YES

Do i think it will work?     PROBABLY NOT

i believe that sometimes the people that are posting some of this (NOT ALL) want a public forum

if they wanted to try to solve problems they could call the higher ups or maybe they don't want a one on one

get involved with a chapter and see how that works (THEY MIGHT BE) work with the system talk to your chapter board

I like having my "handle"  on my comments but if you log in you can see my info I don't hide just want the people

who are really part of this to see my info NOT TROLLS

Many good comments above, now you have mine

sorry about a bit of the New York attitude

Lamar hope this helps

Marty   

Lol, “talk to your chapter board”. The chapters are all but forgotten and rarely listened to except for a few of the more prominent chapters. Might be different now with new office but used to be info and opinions  gathered from chapter directors was squelched and buried at the office level before it could ever reach the board.

A closed forum where issues can be discussed in real time is a great idea,  people don’t play the mail, email and phone game anymore.  Every board member should be required to be regular visitors to a closed forum, it’s actually sad the number of board members that ignore the forums, mostly because they don’t care to hear anything other than what they want to hear. 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

6 hours ago, ted sweet said:

this crap is majking me seriously consider not renewing my bca membership, i dont need this crap in my lfe.

I understand, Ted. I have had the same thoughts. Don't let it get to you.  EVERY group, EVERY ONE has the problem of discontent.  Does not mean the dis contend are right or wrong. Put 8 or 10 folks at the dinner table , serve up the filet minion, and set back and listen.   Makes one wish for hamburger.  O crap, now we have to argue over grilled or fried!!   Another beer, anyone. ?

Ben

• Like 2

This thread is a prime example of why I will never (likely) get involved with running a club again.  My blood pressure and anxiety thanks me for stepping back.  To those who want to cut ties with the club after seeing posts like this - there will always be discontent.  You have to ask yourself - "Amy I enjoying my membership to this club?"  At the end of the day, the club is as fun or enjoyable as you MAKE it.  Get involved with a local chapter if you have one close by.  Go to the meetings.  Attend one of the events they host.  Forget the politics....that aspect will always be there.  Focus your attention to what gives you joy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

This thread is a prime example of why I will never (likely) get involved with running a club again.  My blood pressure and anxiety thanks me for stepping back.  To those who want to cut ties with the club after seeing posts like this - there will always be discontent.  You have to ask yourself - "Amy I enjoying my membership to this club?"  At the end of the day, the club is as fun or enjoyable as you MAKE it.  Get involved with a local chapter if you have one close by.  Go to the meetings.  Attend one of the events they host.  Forget the politics....that aspect will always be there.  Focus your attention to what gives you joy.

AMEN!!  I agree with you Adam.  Have to drag me kicking and screaming!  And yes, like you, I've been asked to throw a hat into the ring.  No way.

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I agree, Adam.

Now for some REAL  stuff.  The last REAL Buick was the 1953 Special.😉

Ben

Oh Boy!  That will be an interesting discussion!  😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I agree, Adam.

Now for some REAL  stuff.  The last REAL Buick was the 1953 Special.😉

Ben

oh really!? 

I’m out of here! If everybody here can’t agree that 1954 was the last real Buick and also the most classiest ever, then you’re  all just a bunch of nimkapoops! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I agree with Marty  - MrJBuick . We both are members of  the Long Island Chapter. He much longer then I have been as I only joined the BCA and the Long Island Chapter after I bought my 1940 Roadmaster about a decade ago. My perspective is from someone who owns a variety of cars , mostly pre war, and from the perspective as well of an author and historian.

I have belonged to a lot of clubs , joined AACA in 1965, CCCA ( 1972-2017) Franklin Club ( 1965-2010 or so) and was active in the Society of Automotive Historians on many levels as well. I am not of the type to join something and then sit back and be entertained or complain that there is something happening I do not like but never make an effort to take the time to help out. We all have our limits of patience, I understand and appreciate and accept that. In the time I have been in the L.I. Chapter of the BCA I have seen and known several sets of officers/directors - did not agree every time with everything they did BUT they are the nicest most caring group of car collectors that I have on a whole, ever met.

Read the last lines that Marty leaves us with - no truer words can be said , I agree completely:

No Matter how the day has been, 

every time i open the door to my garage

the day just gets better,

and I thank God for my Family and my Life !

Edited by Walt G
clarification & typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 2/2/2020 at 4:42 PM, Pete Phillips said:

The Riviera Owners Association prints the password to their members-only forum section in their magazine. That way, only those who are members or who get courtesy copies of the magazine have the access code. I'm sure it's not entirely fool-proof, since members can hand off their magazines to a non-member, but it seems like a good system to me.

OTOH, it's a PITA to look up a new password every month.  Imagine if you had a combination lock and someone kept changing the combination.  Or -- as has happened to me -- you're traveling and want to look up something on the site, but you didn't pack your latest copy of the Riview.  If it's difficult or annoying to get to a site, that site loses its value.  Pretty soon, you forget about it altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, KongaMan said:

OTOH, it's a PITA to look up a new password every month.  Imagine if you had a combination lock and someone kept changing the combination.  Or -- as has happened to me -- you're traveling and want to look up something on the site, but you didn't pack your latest copy of the Riview.  If it's difficult or annoying to get to a site, that site loses its value.  Pretty soon, you forget about it altogether.

I keep an excel file the currently has over 300 passwords.  What a pain.   This is very true.  "Pretty soon, you forget about it altogether."

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:18 PM, trimacar said:

I do have an old Buick, 1910 Model 16, but have found with many clubs the early cars are pretty much ignored.  I had a 1910 Hudson, joined the club, only to find if you didn’t have a step down then not much respect nor information.

Its kind of unfortunate, but they go where the majority of the cars are.

A Studebaker owner often faces the same problem being a minority as far as surviving cars and trucks.  Besides the Studebaker Drivers Club which caters to ALL Studebakers, motorized and non-motorized and post-Studebaker Avantis, there is the Antique Studebaker Club for 1946 & older cars and 1948 & earlier trucks.  And there is the Avanti Owners Association which is for all Avantis, ones made by Studebaker and later.

Craig

Around 2007.... I was on the BCA Board and there were some of the same comments/concerns with the content of the Board minutes.

I made a motion that we purchase a video camera and record the meetings.  At the time we were have only one Board meeting where

we were there in person and that was at the national meet.    For 3 years I had custody of the camera,  set it up at the meeting,  did the recording

and after the meeting downloaded the entire meeting to DVD's.    One went to the Board secretary,  one went to the BCA office,  and one went to the

current Board President.    With that process we had a permanent record of what was said and by whom.   I don't know that we ever needed it but

it was there.    When my term expired,  I turned the camera, cords and tripod I donated to the BCA office.........it was never used again.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:50 PM, 1953mack said:

TOPIC 4:  THE BUICK BUGLE

What do you like and dislike most, what would you change, do you favor eliminating the paper BUGLE, comment on the existing un-equal time given for all aspects (pre-war/post-war/super-size pictures/24-page write-up of Cuban rat rods/electioneering or “administrative junk” as the Editor calls it), lack of a proof reader, knowing that an item is false yet still publishing it, etc.

The BCA is overdue for major changes before its demise.

Top to bottom, everyone needs to be accountable.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:23 PM, Cindy Livingston said:

Geez.. stay away from the forums for a few months and come back and it's like missing a year of the soap opera As the World Turns. Tune in one year later and it's the same old story. You haven't missed a thing. I won't comment on most of what is written, nor do I care about most of it, but I do have to defend our Bugle proof-readers who have VOLUNTEERED so many hours of their time over the years. I don't know of even one Bugle issue that has gone out without proof-reading input. Nothing is ever perfect, but thank you to those members who have something positive to contribute and continue to do so.

February 6, 2020

All readers:  read and comprehend the following facts. If you disagree with any, state in your post what they are and why you disagree. A no-post from everyone else = everything is cool in my books.

Cindy,

I love responding to a pick-and-choose reply. Out of my 1,000+ words, you decide to pick 4 . . . “lack of a proof reader” . . .

Geez.. stay away from the forums for a few months and come back and it's like missing a year of the soap opera As the World Turns . . .

Not as bad as missing the adult beverages at a wedding reception when you show up five minutes after they shut the open bar down.

. . . Tune in one year later and it's the same old story. You haven't missed a thing . . .

I totally agree with you when you start talking BUGLE issues . . . same complaints addressing the same aspects that I noted above, like knowing that an item is false yet still publishing it.  Not a first. Same thing happened within the last year.

. . . I won't comment on most of what is written . . .

Has it anything to do with agreeing with all the facts?

. . . nor do I care about most of it . . .

Sad to hear you say that, both as an individual and as a team member. The cost of putting out 12 monthly BUGLES is 80%+ of a member’s dues. The General Membership is paying your salary.   

. . but I do have to defend our Bugle proof-readers who have VOLUNTEERED so many hours of their time over the years. I don't know of even one Bugle issue that has gone out without proof-reading input. Nothing is ever perfect, but thank you to those members who have something positive to contribute and continue to do so.

Quick to defend your proof-reading volunteers but you ignored defending whoever is responsible for proofing the facts and publishing disinformation. Why?

GOOD TO KNOW FACTS

Shortly after the General Membership peaked at < 9900 in 2003 (never reached 10,000), the BCA’s BOD panicked when the numbers started its decline. In 2006, new hires were appointed as Editor, because he owned a Buick among other reasons (check your old BUGLES) and Art Director, to slowdown the declining membership renewals. Membership renewals have been declining at a faster pace than pre-2006. For those with short memories, here’s what the late-Paul Meyer had to say in his JUNE-2006 BUGLE President’s Message, your first issue as Art Director:

1-1-1-Scan.thumb.jpg.ee83ae45196d13dc15796c944e73543d.jpg

Numbers don’t lie . . . ± 12,000 membership renewals have been lost during the past 14 years (2006-2020). The Editor mentioned that he didn’t have access to all the information that the BCA Office or BOD have for membership info. (If you didn’t hear by now, neither did the auditors.). Don't agree with my numbers? All you need are three or four old Buick BUGLES and a few BOD Meeting Minutes.  Let everyone know if you are coming up with a different number and how you arrived at it.  

Out of the ± 12,000, the Editor attributes an approximate one-third of that number to his five well-educated guesses: death; combined old-age/sickness/disabled/nursing home; lack of interest (In what?); selling a Buick and/or not getting enough (out) of the Club. The Editor did not mention the BUGLE. How did I come up with 33%? By arbitrarily assigning a generous one-plus per-week number to each of his five WEG over 14 years . . . 33% is not considered a “vast majority” for anything.       

●  The changes in the BUGLE during the past 14 years were minimal. Complacent? The JANUARY-2006 issue had 42 pages, the JUNE-2006 issue (your first as Art Director) increased to 44 pages and the JULY-2006 issue was the first for 48 pages and remains today except for the annual BCA Nationals report issue and the repetitious 6-page fish-wrap (my opinion) covers. With ± 25% advertising per issue, members are receiving the equivalent of nine issues, not 12, of three or four-month old Buick news every year . . . more like a AAA Travel, Vacation and Dining Guide social rag with more pictures (my opinion again). Where are the monthly BOD reports, tech articles from the 50+ tech advisers that are listed on the covers every month, news (not pictures) from  Regional and BCA Chapters?    

MORE QUESTIONS

With few exceptions, the remaining 67% (two-thirds) of unknown reasons for not renewing a membership point to either the BUGLE or the inactions of the BOD. The BUGLE is considered the mouth of the BCA. For the majority of the members, the BUGLE is the only contact they have with the BCA organization save for picking up a few items (truth, rumor or B.S.) by belonging to a local Buick Club. That’s it. The BCA Nationals are not part of the $50 BCA Membership dues. Everything is extra.

(1)  Slice and dice apart the ± 8,000 unknown reasons (570 per-year averages) and let everyone know what percentage you would attribute to the BUGLE and what percentage would you attribute to the inactions of the BOD as being responsible for a member deciding that a membership renewal isn’t going to happen. Were you okay with knowing that the inactions of the BOD might have prevented you from obtaining better results? Did you ever discuss this with the BOD?

(2)  As mentioned above, everyone should be held accountable top-to-bottom. Can the General Membership expect to see a few paragraphs from you, an accountability report, in a BUGLE? The General Membership would be more than interested in knowing what your original goals were as an individual and as a team member when you were appointed Art Director vs. what you or your team didn’t accomplish in 14 years? If your answer is no, explain in detail why.

(3)  Are you okay with the results of the loss-in-membership renewal numbers that didn’t meet the BOD expectations? Is the BOD okay with your results? It’s my understanding that they approve and sign your paychecks.

Members might want to revise their opinions once they read your detailed answers. Thanks.

FINAL COMMENT

The BUGLE is long overdue for a major overhauling. I will state my ideas in a new Thread on this BCA Forum before February 24, the deadline for the APRIL-2020 BUGLE.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

cap.jpg.2e9f9dc488fd4ebe0bf86dd029b8f876.jpg

Thank you Al for your above unsolicited example of precisely the issues I've been talking about. Your IMO personal and undeserved attack here of Cindy @Cindy Livingston is exactly why such BCA business or politically oriented posts should not be viewable by non members and belongs in a discussion forum where it can be hashed out by the BOD and the general membership.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

IMO , , , NO RED HATS without the Buick (pick one) LOGO on it  As the centerpiece of the hat's reason for being..  Period.

FORGET about the "My Buick year is better than YOUR Buick year" orientation.  Period.  They are ALL IMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things!  Acknowledge and embrace that fact!  Do what you can to make your choice of favorite Buick era look and operate as good as it can, so others might see the hidden beauty of it, even if they might not desire to own that particular one.  READ and UNDERSTAND the great articles in "The BUGLE" each month (with Cindy's great layouts!) to better understand how they were important and how they fit into the grand scheme of things back then.  For a better understanding of "What Made BUICKI, BUICK".

CERTAINLY, the amount of traffic on these forums is higher when some BOD officer(s) are not doing exactly like some others feel they should be doing or acting.  BUT that is not the intent of these forums!  They exist for the transfer and spread of Buick knowledge, mentoring, and information to those that might need/desire it.  MAKE IT SO!

There's plenty of room under the BCA Umbrella for everybody, IF they want to really be there AND they behave (according to "community standards").

Enjoy the cars and the people who own them . . . even IF you might not desire to go out to dinner with them or invite them to your home, fwiw.

Y'all ENJOY, now.  Ya hear?

Willis Bell  20811

• Thanks 3

The E-BUGLE exists for our non-USA BCA members.  By the time the print version would get to them in Europe or elsewhere, many of the personal vehicle and parts for sale ads would be months old.  Getting them the publication by electronic means gives them a much better chance to those hard-to-find parts and such much quicker.

Plus, not having a paper magazine to do something with after you've read the articles can be a plus for some.  Personally, I still like the tactile feel of the paper version.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

The E-BUGLE exists for our non-USA BCA members.

Your statement is exactly why I went for the E-membership!

Being in Canada being considered Non-USA Member and with the exchange on the dollar PLUS the slow postal systems both yours & ours, then there is the issue of stacking/storing them, bugging the wife... the option of electronic viewing was the perfect solution for me!

My local Car Club did this shortly after the BCA offered it (maybe influenced after my showing them what I received from the E-Bugle) and the simple costs involved mailing were noticed immediately. 

This has been discussed before so moving on...

17 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I DO NOT favor eliminating the paper BUGLE.  I do think the email version is a waste of time.  It is hard to read, hard to print and expensive to print.  We already pay high dues, so why would anybody expect us to pay for printer INK and paper.

BCA #55

Correct me if i'm wrong but I know of no plans for the BCA to stop the printed Bugle.

• Thanks 1

NTX5467 your comments above well said and agree with such

But i think because it got caught up in this somewhat heated thread

the "my year is better than your year" was started to lighten it up with some humor

i don't think anyone was looking to better anyone else just a bunch of guys sitting around a campfire 

making each other laugh, i think any one of us that commented like that would be happy with any year Buick

again thanks for the solid comments

Marty 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

When the E-Bugle as you call it is the only way I can get the magazine, that's when my dues STOP.  Maybe the don't need us all.  Have two separate dues structures then. 

To expand on my earlier post,

Since the inception of the Non-USA E-Membership (a lower membership cost) it has helped me to maintain my BCA Membership.

Let me explain:

With no reasonable distance Chapter to me in Ontario, Canada and living on the Canada - USA Border, the nearest Chapter to me is Flint, Michigan. That involves a crossing the Border cost of 12.50 CDN round trip plus travel fuel cost round trip.

I highly value a membership in the BCA and this Forums but at the regular USA Membership (paid in USA dollars) plus the exchange rate the bank here charges for US Payment (32 to 37% more on $100.00), on top of the additional Chapter fees (if willing to travel) made the E-Membership a NO BRAINER for me!

It is just way things are here so when the lower E-membership became available...

Wanting to remain a Member, will see those that can attend in Strongsville this summer.

Thank you BCA for the option!

• Like 1