Engine almost stalls at full throttle

Hi,

I just got a Buick 70 GS with the 350-4 and I have just put on all new tuning parts (wires, plugs, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter) and I'm having this problem. It starts and runs fine but when you give it most or full throttle it simple bogs or sounds like it shuts off, once you let off it will go back to idle and run fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is?

thanks,

Derrick-Denver

Derrick, sounds like you need to rebuild the carb, not a big deal, accelerator pump, gaskets, etc. If you are comfortable rebuilding the carb, it's not a big deal if you follow the directions. get a carb rebuild kit from your local parts store and follow the directions. You should also invest in a shop manual which will also give you tune up info. check out ebay.com and factoryautomanuals.com for a shop manual, unfortunately the '70 Buick Shop manual is a much desired piece and sometimes is pricey, in the $70 range, but also used is much cheaper. There also is a CD Version available, but I have not seen it to be able to recommend. Hope that helps!

Did the car do this before you put all the new tuning stuff in? If it didn't I would not be so quick to blame the carb. I would double check the tuning specs first then go with the possibility of a defective part. Many things can cause a "flat spot"-- this is the technical term for what you are experiencing.

I had a problem like this with my 430. I am assuming your car is equipped with a Q-jet. what could be happening here is your secondaries are opening to fast. there is a dash pot that controls when they open via vaccuum. to check to see if the daspot is working properly, fire up the buick, let the choke open fully-this is very important!! then see if you can open the air horns. they should not budge at all. they should be really easy to move back and forth really easily with the car off. if this works fine, then it could be they open to quick. check this by shifting the car to first then drive it untill it hits about 2700, then just floor board it and see if you still bog.

I just relazed that you said you changed the filter-- you probably put in it in backwards. pull it out, and the rubberry end of the filter should be the inlet. the blunt metal end should come in contact with the spring.

My brother installed a filter backwards and resulted in the same symptoms. it really makes a huge difference in drivabilty.