auburnseeker

Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

Yes, Barbara Atwood was the name I was thinking of.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, Barbara Atwood was the name I was thinking of.

Thanks! Drives me nuts when I forget a name, the Atwells in Texas are another, but I knew the Auburn wasn't theirs. Bob 

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

White walls.........well, first you can’t even consider them unless you have side mount covers. Not sure what to do with your wheel color yet.........I will need some more photos of the car outside..........not sureI can even come up with something that will look correct or better.

Well I think I atleast have the face plates if not the rings as well. Turns out someone gave me a set of sidemount covers This summer and I wasn't sure what they fit.  From what I have found on line and tried on the wheels I might just have a winning set.  

Strange how some things come to be.

As I mentioned I almost as in had cash in hand and was literally a second away from yelling out an offer on that 32 Plymouth at Hershey that probably would have taken it,  but I stopped dead.  I had this feeling there was something better waiting. 

Never expecting it to be this a few months later. 

I still have to sneak a peek when I go by the garage to make sure it's in there. 

How long does that last? 

• Haha 1

That is so much better looking than the one I was trying to look at for you in central Illinois.  I like the styling of the early thirties models much better than some of the later ones.  You were right to wait - and man did it pay off!  Just a beautiful car from every angle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

In the last two weeks I helped three people locate a pre war car and secure it. I enjoy helping others find the car they always wanted. Best part of the hobby.....helping others and making friend doing it.

Hey ED, I will be your friend.

Ever since I was about 12 years old and a doctor neighbor of mine had an old rusty Pierce Arrow that he took out maybe once or twice a year one has been on my bucket list.

Now that am retired and could probably afford one I don't know where to look.

I am partial to the big sedans, (the later ones) although the docs was a roadster.

These days a well sorted patinaed original appeals more to me than restored cars. But as a recent buyer in this thread exclaimed "beggars cant be choosers".

Jack....sold the perfect car for you at Hershey................Just needed tires and glass replacement. All original 35 Club Sedan..............send me a pm and i'll give you a buzz.

95864F51-5D5F-4483-8F8D-28B7BF0E8C76.jpeg

41 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Jack....sold the perfect car for you at Hershey................Just needed tires and glass replacement. All original 35 Club Sedan..............send me a pm and i'll give you a buzz.

95864F51-5D5F-4483-8F8D-28B7BF0E8C76.jpeg

Yup.

Sorry for the hijack Randy.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Boom! Convertible sedan! I knew it! What do I win?

Awesome car, Randy. You're going to love it. Like Ed said, a few minor tweaks and you'll have a great car that will be welcome anywhere. Congratulations again!

PS: Just a few well-placed pinstripes in the right color can work wonders. This burgundy one came to us without stripes and adding a few subtle lines in a fairly neutral taupe color really transformed the car.

021.thumb.JPG.05da99eaef6e49cd0f21e83e2f49edcb.JPG  023.thumb.JPG.b0e1358447e47393b65103b5fda2cb1b.JPG  024.thumb.JPG.787d29f32a969b0c1d30c45dc505716e.JPG

026.thumb.JPG.45e1a1af3b916e5c24c60884c07abe6b.JPG  012.thumb.JPG.5ec1daaf9d328a0bba14173f501f7048.JPG

• Like 3

How long does that last? 

UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOUVE SPENT ALL THE CASH...................

:)

• Haha 1

Great News! Congratulations. I like the trunk and whitewalls. A nice couple from Vermillion, Ohio, Ken and Kay Evenson had one of these they drove on Ohio Region Tours back in the 1970's and 1980's.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Oh 

So if I left the two tone as is but just striped it out that might be an option as well.   I hadn't though of that. Definitely something to ponder. 

56 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Yup.

Sorry for the hijack Randy.

No problem if it helps you find a car as well. 

Congratulations on a beautiful Auburn.  To me the convertible sedans are the best of all worlds.   The only downside of the convertible sedans, is the weight and complexity of folding the top up and down?  (I do not have first hand experience, just guessing)

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?  Hope they just used silicone to hold them in.  That would be the first thing on my "to do" list.

Congratulations again on a beautiful car!

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?

I think the idea was function, safety and cost over aesthetics. Sealed beams are superior to the old bulbs and reflectors in illumination and much cheaper than resilvering reflectors.

That looks like a fantastic car. Yellow is my second favorite color after green so I would be happy as is. I agree with Steve, I hope you bring it to Rhinebeck. I've never seen an Auburn there, though there was a Cord several years ago.

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

Congratulations on a beautiful Auburn.  To me the convertible sedans are the best of all worlds.   The only downside of the convertible sedans, is the weight and complexity of folding the top up and down?  (I do not have first hand experience, just guessing)

What were people thinking when they bolted sealed beam headlights inside beautiful original headlights?  Hope they just used silicone to hold them in.  That would be the first thing on my "to do" list.

Congratulations again on a beautiful car!

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice.  I thought Ed would be the first.  

I'm guessing they probably ruined the reflectors but I hope not as they are very bright inside so they weren't old and tired.  It was a day before I noticed them as I was looking everything over and not paying particular attention to them. 

I only got a few hours in cleaning up chrome and oiling door latches.  I use Fluid film.  You would be amazed how good it works and stays. 

I noticed the sealed beams, but I figured you would be changing those back to originals.

I'm hoping a good set of reflectors if necessary won't be too bad.  Usually it's the buckets that get trashed so there should be more reflectors out there than anything.  Lenses are excellent so I have to be very gentle and not drop one.  The buckets are also very nice with only a very minor ding or two you really have to look to see and pretty good chrome so they may have even been rechromed. 

All the window garnish has been replated and window frames as well as the center posts and the big dash panel trim under the windshield. All the nickel inside is really nice and probably replated or NOS.  Gauge cluster is very original but in good shape.  

Unfortunately the top bows weren't replated when they replaced the top.  I wish they would have when they replaced the top during the refurbishment as it would have been alot cheaper.  I would say none of the chrome is "show" but nice driver

quality with some aging but still a very bright finish.  

I fear the top doesn't have alot of cycles left in it,  then I need to make a tough decision on whether to replate them or not.  I really hate to cheapen it up and paint them.  

Any guesses on what replating might cost?  Just to driver quality. 

They also replated most of the exterior chrome it appears. 

All the glass looks to have been replaced but unfortunately the windshield is cracked diagonally on the passenger side.  Something to replace some day but probably not for a while. 

I'll try to get some better interior photos tomorrow.  It's in pretty good shape front to back. 

Again not my choice of color but it's fitting and could be much worse.  I didn't see any cuts or tears and the seams all seem tight.

Only real flaw is a cigar burn mark? in the driver's door panel that will get some kind of an emblem to cover it as it's almost dead center top and looks like it could have had one there anyways. 

Lots more cleaning to do tomorrow, when hopefully I get to spend more time on it. 

Does anyone have a wrench for the Knock off hub caps or know where one can be bought? 

Don't they come off with a hammer? Maybe like something from a British car made of copper.

Randy.......don’t forget a photo of both Auburns as you promised..............I expect to see it before I go to bed tonight. 

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Don't they come off with a hammer? Maybe like something from a British car made of copper.

I know they can be taken off that way,  but I saw an Auburn for Sale, might have even been one Matt had , and one of the pictures showed a wrench that obviously was for the wheels.

• Like 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Randy.......don’t forget a photo of both Auburns as you promised..............I expect to see it before I go to bed tonight. 

I spent alot of time cleaning in the garage today but wasn't able to get it done.  Tomorrow for sure I will have one for you and everyone else. 

• Like 1

Hey, Congrats. Had an old friend of the family that would tell me about the Auburn roaster she had in the 30's. Those were the days as she would say. Dandy Dave! 

I mentioned in an early post that the first thing I was assuming you’d address was the headlights.  They may be bright as is, but they are a real distraction.  Still, nothing can really take away from the looks of that car.

• Like 1

It actually needs some most likely heavy mechanical work, one of the reasons I could afford it so that will be one of the first real projects I tackle.