Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I agree except the red piping on the top.................and don't forget. Once I thought I was wrong......but I was mistaken!

Randy_Render_New.thumb.jpg.fa80a4d6fb2146560cc3504bd7654add.jpg

I will have to find a photo of the one I did - it was silver and black with a black top - we trimmed the top out in black 

Sidenote:  There are two in Silver and Black (both done at about same in 1980's) - I had the one with the double whitewalls and the silver undersides of fenders. 

Add'l sidenote:  I have trouble getting a top and a boot for under 10K - big decision to change a top (especially a top that can put a hole in canvas in a blink of an eye).

Matt, thanks for the Photoshop !!!

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I think you guys are having more fun with my car than I am.  

I'm Avoiding any serious paint work like the plague if possible. 

If you guys all want to spring a little, we'll just chrome the wheels.  Then we don't have to worry about a color.  I'm sure she won't mind a little extra jewelry. ;) 

My opinion would be to chrome the rims and use black wall tires.  The black tires will go with the running boards and help break up the tan body color.  The chrome rims will go with the other chrome on the car and help break up the  tan also.  If you had darker fenders and a detail stripe than maybe a WW tire to stand out with a chrome rim. It's a big car with a large field of color that needs to be broken up some. Also a chrome spare side cover may further break up the long tan sides.  Just throwing my hat in the ring. Nice looking car be the way. 

Unfortunately Chrome is going to be out of the question.  I can only imagine what they get to chrome a set of wheels for this.  Much less you have to do all 6.  Now if someone has a full set of nice chrome dental drive wheels for this,  I'm all ears. 

I would say the rule of thumb is 10K or so for Dayton to restore a set of 6 Chrome Wire Wheels - I do not have the current pricing though (last set I did was perhaps 3 years ago for a 1932 Auburn 12 Salon Special Phaeton and were $975 each and maybe $1,250 each for the three I had to have rims made for - all just prior to a cost increase).  A lock ring would add more for the ring plating, plus wheels that require extensive handwork.   

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm Avoiding any serious paint work like the plague if possible. 

I am getting that way, I can generally figure something out with the cars passing through to get each of them better geared for being seen in public (sort of like putting my brand on cattle)

And, happy to help friends whether they want a driver or a 100 point show car - but, really like it when they just want to upgrade something and use it for fun.

As I said,  unless you want to start a go fund me page for Wire wheels,  she will be getting Painted wheels. 

Shame the wheels even need to be painted,  just because they are surprisingly clean as they are.  I can't imagine leaving the wheel color and just chroming the lock rings with new tires would work.  

I have a guy that blasts them dirt cheap. He does powder coating real cheap as well. I'm guessing it would probably be under $500 for all 6, blasted and coated.  Still unsure whether to go powder or regular paint. I like the durability of the powder. I will probably have more screwing around if I paint them myself. 

Powder coat is fine for a driver......did it on my 32 Pierce coupe, looked great, and held up fine. And it’s much cheaper than paint. If you need body work on the wheels you need to use the special filler so the powder coat sets up evenly. The nice thing about painting the lock rings is you can chrome them later on if you want to. I’m not a fan of painted lock rings, but I get why people do it.  These are drop center wheels. The stainless beauty rings were missing on my car, so I made them and sold them, a big project, but in the end, the rings I sold paid for all my tires, tubes, rings, labor, and three new wire wheels.............interestingly, when I removed the green paint from my wheels, we discovered the car came factory with chrome wheels! On a driver......I wasn’t going there.

AF7E1A4B-A29F-4ADE-8224-CCEBE52544F0.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Powder coat is fine for a driver......did it on my 32 Pierce coupe, looked great, and held up fine. And it’s much cheaper than paint. If you need body work on the wheels you need to use the special filler so the powder coat sets up evenly. The nice thing about painting the lock rings is you can chrome them later on if you want to. I’m not a fan of painted lock rings, but I get why people do it.  These are drop center wheels. The stainless beauty rings were missing on my car, so I made them and sold them, a big project, but in the end, the rings I sold paid for all my tires, tubes, rings, labor, and three new wire wheels.............interestingly, when I removed the green paint from my wheels, we discovered the car came factory with chrome wheels! On a driver......I wasn’t going there.

This was your car and you had whitewalls,  a week moment or have you been holding out? ;) 

I will say that sure is a pretty coupe.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

As I said,  unless you want to start a go fund me page for Wire wheels,  she will be getting Painted wheels. 

Shame the wheels even need to be painted,  just because they are surprisingly clean as they are.  I can't imagine leaving the wheel color and just chroming the lock rings with new tires would work.  

I have a guy that blasts them dirt cheap. He does powder coating real cheap as well. I'm guessing it would probably be under $500 for all 6, blasted and coated.  Still unsure whether to go powder or regular paint. I like the durability of the powder. I will probably have more screwing around if I paint them myself. 

Personally powder coating on adjustable spoke wheels just looks stupid. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

I do like the idea with powder that from all I have seen,  they don't have the problem that you get with paint failing.   Seems everytime I do something for myself and use all the proper materials the paint goes to hell in short order.  That's on a vehicle stored in a climate controk garage and not driven in the rain.  I do some half assed quick job in the driveway for a friend that uses it as a year round daily beater and the paint looks good still 10 years down the road as they are hauling it away to the junkyard. 

• Haha 1

Randy.....yes, certain cars need white walls, in this case, I bought “new used” tires. This car uses tires that run about 600 each. I got all six for 300 bucks. A 3500 dollar savings..............and they look good. I also bought side mounts covers. Paid 1800 for a pair, and sold them two years ago for 6500. You will see them on a car at Pebble in 2021 or 2022 depending on how things work out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

This was your car and you had whitewalls,  a week moment or have you been holding out? ;) 

I will say that sure is a pretty coupe.

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yes, looks good with whitewalls and Bedfords are a nice tire.  

Ed is correct, as some cars look good with whitewalls and some do not.  

When you have a chrome wire wheel, a whitewalls is a whole lot of extra bling, but I usually do whitewalls (or give it serious thought) on a really dark colored car (ex. single tone Black).  

I saw a 1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Two-Door Touring in all Black (excepting tan top, tan pinstripe, and brown interior) the other day on opposite side of road while driving - it looked good. 

There seems to be a lot of people that scream Blackwalls and there are a lot of people that scream "leave it original" - well, some things look good with whitewalls and some things are too far gone to leave original (it just all "depends"). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)