Wanted to Purchase: 18 Foot Open Trailer in Los Angeles

Hello everyone. My father and I are looking to purchase  an 18 foot open trailer to haul our old cars and new acquisitions around. We are located in Southern California in Los Angeles County. Hoping to spend around $2000. Thank you. 

For $2000 you will get a trailer beat up requiring $3000 worth of repair.

Folks are moving out of California.

Check your local Craigslist but you are better off buying a new trailer.

Jim

• Like 1

Craigslist is good & check towns as far as you are willing to travel to drive.

you can also look In Facebook market & look for car trailers.

Remember, check the tire ages as old tires blowout on the road.  An 6 or 8 year old will need new tires.

best of luck finding the perfect trailer.

• Like 1

There are plenty of cheaper trailers for your $2000.00 price that are in great shape. They will be steel & wood NOT aluminum, but unless you are going to put 50,000+ miles on it per year, you will be fine.

Try to find one with a Tor-Flex suspension if possible NOT leaf springs. The Tor-Flex lasts forever & you don't have to worry about the spring pivots taking out your tires when they break.

You may look on "Racing Junk" they have a trailer for sale section  or FaceBook MarketPlace

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

• Like 1

When I was shopping for an open trailer, like TrulyVintage said, used trailers usually needed a lot of work... I considered all used trailers needing a minimum of new tires, new brakes, and usually new wiring.  You can do the math.  A new trailer was cheaper to be safe with everything working when you bought the trailer.   Just IMO and what I did.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some folks post opinions that aren’t based on facts - they just want to contradict whatever someone else is saying ....

Last year for the first time I moved more cars for folks that were 

leaving California to live elsewhere than cars that were sold to new

owners.

Folks use trailers in California - they don’t usually sell them unless they are beat to h€ll and ready to be scrapped.

Jim

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will relay this info to my father and we will definitely look out for the points everyone brought up.