1964 chevelle/buick similarities

papafarms

Morning everyone, hopefully someone will know the answer to my question, are the rear wheel well trims the same on both of these cars, i am in need of the rear wheel well trim for my 64 skylark convertible, they are offered on ebay for the 64 chevelle, but have not seen any for my buick, any help will be appreciated, thanks Bob

• Like 1

While the GM cars share the A-body platform, the exterior sheet metal is unique to each division. Inner sheet metal panels like cowl, firewall, and floor pans are common, but the outer sheet metal is all different. There are no repro panels for your Buick or my Olds because there isn't enough demand for a vendor to invest in tooling and inventory. The 1964 cars seem to be the worst for availability. Occasionally you can make an off brand panel work with a lot of hand fitting, but frankly you'll be time and money ahead to just get good OEM panels from the desert southwest.

If you were to use the Chevrolet wheel lip molding you would have to modify some of the radius slightly, however when finished you would come up short on the trailing end. Until I found a donor car I had made a 64-65 Chevelle wheel house molding fit my 1963 Pontiac Catalina rear wheel house which has about the same length and radiused bends.

I wish someone like the people who made the ones for Tempest and Chevelle would sell the molding in straight length so you could make a pattern and bend yourself to the desired contour, but I've tried that route and they won't. I would also like drip rail molding to be sold that way too and they won't. At least you wouldn't have that particular problem with a Chevelle because all "A bodies have the same roof canopy/ most molding and glass.    

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

12 hours ago, zepher said:

As scarce as are body moldings are for my '64 Malibu I am real glad I didn't fall head over heels for a Buick or Olds.

All the "A" bodies are good looking cars and even though I'm a Pontiac guy first and Olds second. The Buick and Olds came off IMO the best looking for 64.