64 fan shroud fit issue

64Rivvy

Hey all. Ive struggling with this forever and its stopping me from getting my cooling system back together and getting her running again. This is the second shroud I've tried. This one is a nice repro shroud for 63 to 65 riviera from opgi. Good quality. The issue I'm having is that the fan is hitting the bottom of the shroud when I rotate it.

At first I though I could adjust the brackets on the crossmember but its just way off.  It's not an up down adjustment issues. It seems more like my fan is closer to the radiator than it should be.   I'm starting to wonder if maybe the issue is that my fan possibly has an extra spacer on it. There is a recess down in the bottom of the shroud where it would give the blades clearance if the fan blades were about an inch further back.  If you have a stock shroud you will know what in referring to.  I took some pictures of my fan and clutch. Does it look correct for an ac car?

Running out of ideas and really need some help on this. Thanks guys. 

20200201_003037.jpg

20200201_003054.jpg

20200201_003102.jpg

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)

Your pics look typical to me but having stated so I dont know how far rearward your fan needs to be moved to provide clearance? I`m  sure if you go to Rockauto.com and look at the fan clutch specs for each supplier`s offering there is a dimension typically listed to compare the dimension you wish to change. Measure yours and compare and you might find a new fan clutch will provide a solution....and hey, you get a new fan clutch out of the deal.

Having stated the above, over the years I have repeatedly heard complaints about the fit of repro fan shrouds.

Tom Mooney

Thanks. Here are some measurements.  I'm really not sure if the fan blades and clutch on there are stock riviera parts.  I checked stock riviera fan clutch and fan parts on ebay and mine look original but if anyone can verify my measurements or has any other ideas please let me know. I may have to give up and switch to an electric fan which I hate to do. Trying to return to 100 percent stock glory. 

Power steering belt to fan blades: 3/4"

Fan blades to front of radiator: 1 7/8"

Radiator to power steering belt 4.5"

Number of fan blades: 5

Thanks,  

Raul

Last note on this. Best way I can explain it is that it seems like the radiator needs to move back about an inch or the fan needs to move forward an inch toward the engine for the fan blades to fit into the recess of the shroud that is moulded into the fiberglass to the shape of the fan blades where they would spin.

I would simply grind down the shroud, but the way it mounts at the top to the radiator support does not allow me to do that. 

55 minutes ago, 64Rivvy said:

Thanks. Here are some measurements.  I'm really not sure if the fan blades and clutch on there are stock riviera parts.  I checked stock riviera fan clutch and fan parts on ebay and mine look original but if anyone can verify my measurements or has any other ideas please let me know. I may have to give up and switch to an electric fan which I hate to do. Trying to return to 100 percent stock glory. 

Power steering belt to fan blades: 3/4"

Fan blades to front of radiator: 1 7/8"

Radiator to power steering belt 4.5"

Number of fan blades: 5

Thanks,  

Raul

Factory AC fan is 5 blades but to be sure you should probably measure the outside diameter and compare to original.

Tom M

Is the radiator itself too far back?  It looks new; they don't always get the pegs right.  How much distance is there supposed to be between the condenser and the radiator?

Of course, it could just be a bad or the wrong shroud.  If it came from OPGI, you can't discount that possibility.

The radiator is as far back as it can go without fully hitting/touching  the condenser. 

I played around with the brackets but the shroud cant move any closer to the radiator as it's already literally touching the radiator. I'll try to get under there and take some pics.

60flattop,

Good idea. I was thinking about this earlier that maybe the motor had shifted forward somehow over time.  My guess is the mounts havent been touched in more than 20 years. Would bad mounts allow that much movement though?  Like almost a full inch of movement forward?

5 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

The radiator is as far back as it can go without fully hitting/touching  the condenser. 

The condenser should be in front of the radiator.  Send lots of pictures.  The mounting of the shroud is not determined by the location of the radiator. At the top, it mounts to a bracket connected to the core support and on the bottom it sits on two brackets connected to the front cross member.  You can mount a shroud without a radiator.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Rivnut,

Thanks. If you look in the pics above you can see where my condenser is mounted and how the shroud is mounted to the radiator support as you stated. The issue is that the shroud is flush up against the radiator and cant move toward the front of the car any further without cutting some of the shroud off. Will send more pictures when I get home a bit later. Thanks. 

Raul

Ooooo! I just reread your 1st post and saw something that may be a contributor. .......OPGI......   Not known for quality reproductions. 

I know that it will be a pain, but if you can, remove the shroud and take a bunch of measurements.  Or better yet, take a bunch of pictures next to a tape measure.  Especially of the bottom and the position of the locating holes in relation to the back and the front 9f the shroud.

I have a couple of OE shrouds (one for my 64, and one for my 65) that I can compare your measurements to my shrouds.  

Thanks rivnut. Will do tomorrow am. Everything is just mocked up now so not too hard to remove.  Here are some more pictures. Not able to get under the car atm. 

One other possible suspect is that my crossmember might be pushed back a little towards the front of the car. . Something looks a little off with it when I look really closely. I will do some measurements on that also to rule that out as a possibility. 

20200201_191815.jpg

20200201_191836.jpg

20200201_191917.jpg

20200201_191937.jpg

20200201_192016.jpg

I bought the repro fan shroud too. I had installed a new fan clutch though and it sticks out farther than the original one. Didn’t realize that at first.

I tried everything to get the shroud to fit (including cutting the bottom middle out entirely). Ended up throwing it away. 

I may get a new fan clutch just to see if it helps since I'm sure a new one is order anyways. Was waiting until I pull the motor and rebuild it but might as well try it now. 

Cutting a portion out of the bottom is actually not a bad idea. That would def give me clearance but I'm worried that would limit the effectiveness of the shroud.  Might be the next step ii nothing else pans out.  Thanks. 

Raul

1 hour ago, BMac said:

Had the same issue.  I corrected it by enlarging the holes on the top radiator bracket that mounts to the core support.  This allowed me to push the radiator back just enough that it did not rub any more.

Do you have A/C? I can’t imagine pushing the whole thing forward with the condenser too. Interesting.

10 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I may get a new fan clutch just to see if it helps since I'm sure a new one is order anyways. Was waiting until I pull the motor and rebuild it but might as well try it now. 

Cutting a portion out of the bottom is actually not a bad idea. That would def give me clearance but I'm worried that would limit the effectiveness of the shroud.  Might be the next step ii nothing else pans out.  Thanks. 

Raul

If you go to Rockauto and click on the info tab for each of the fan clutches offered for your application you will see the specs regarding overall height. There is also a nice tutorial about the different types of clutches... standard, heavy duty and severe duty

Tom Mooney

There are not a lot of body bolts on those Rivieras and they are easy to get at. Just back them off a few turns and shove the body forward. Step two after checking the  motor mounts.

I have had the body off mine twice and I'm just wondering if some of my little, annoying, alignment issues might be solved if I loosen mine up and jiggle it around some.

Bernie

So you're saying that a gap of 1" or more between the door and the fender is acceptable. Cool. That will make reassembly of my 64 much easier.  I think I'll use bungie cords rather than bolts so that everytime I hit a bump, the fenders will realign themselves.

Not at all, there are two bolts on the quasi-core support that make up that body/frame attachment. I think it is 12 bolts total. The distance from the base of the cowl to the rear kick up is suspended, Lots of wiggle room there.

One of my most frequent problem solving techniques it to figure out how I could screw something up to get the result I am trying to correct.

When the topic starts "I've been struggling with this forever" the cure ain't gonna be obvious. And I did this:

002.thumb.jpg.5f12f08dd1fe2e0bb58343e0af1ed028.jpg

I watch a lot of CSPAN and I still cringe when they say Oversight Committee. Guess how many oversight I made.

1965rivgs,

I just went to rockauto and did that. I found th ey had one clutch fan made for high pitch fan applications requiring a clutch fan lower than OE height.  I found a Hayden fan:

Heavy Duty Thermal Fan Clutch Features:

• Turns the fan 70-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling
  • Turns the fan 25-35% of the shaft speed when disengaged
  • Used with deeper pitch fans (2-1/2" of pitch)
  • Land and groove design with up to 27 square inch of working surface

When I compared the overall height specs this one is a almost a full inch shorter. I ordered it and will try it out. Supposed to come thursday. Hopefully with this and maybe some slight cutting of the shroud it will work. Will let you guys know. Appreciate all the help. 

Rivnut,  I will still take some measurements and update this thread as soon as I get the shroud out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

1965rivgs,

I just went to rockauto and did that. I found th ey had one clutch fan made for high pitch fan applications requiring a clutch fan lower than OE height.  I found a Hayden fan:

Heavy Duty Thermal Fan Clutch Features:

• Turns the fan 70-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling
  • Turns the fan 25-35% of the shaft speed when disengaged
  • Used with deeper pitch fans (2-1/2" of pitch)
  • Land and groove design with up to 27 square inch of working surface

When I compared the overall height specs this one is a almost a full inch shorter. I ordered it and will try it out. Supposed to come thursday. Hopefully with this and maybe some slight cutting of the shroud it will work. Will let you guys know. Appreciate all the help. 

Rivnut,  I will still take some measurements and update this thread as soon as I get the shroud out. 

This looks like the HAYDEN 2747 that I put in my ‘63. Worked fine for me. Good luck.

All,

So I installed the new clutch fan and it def moved the fan back a good inch toward the motor. I thought my prob was mostly solved until I noticed one fan blade is hitting the power steering belt. It looks like one of the fan blades is bent and may have been damaged. Does one of the fan blades stick out farther than the others normally, or is mine bent?  I took a picture where you can see the one blade is a good 1/4 of an inch farther back than the blade next to it. All of the other blades are like the blade on the left.  I can take it off and take more pictures if needed. Thanks. 

20200207_174004.jpg

Is it twisted or just pushed back?  Whichever one it is  will take a different kind of fix to make it line up correctly.  Make sure that you don't create a stress line in the metal.  If that blade were to come loose, it would create a bunch of damage to something else besides making the fan totally out of balance,

Good day,

I once had a fan blade break off as I pulled away from a set of lights in a '61 Pontiac in-line 6. Massively loud bang, then running "very rough" to say the least. Shut it down, (cleaned my pants...) opened the hood, scratched my head for a few minutes then spotted the broken blade lodged into the car's frame rail. Like slamming a hatchet into a block of wood. It certainly would've went through the hood if it's trajectory was different. Once I kept the rev's up, I was able to drive the car home and eventually replaced the fan and one of the motor mounts, (she was rockin' at idle...🙂)

Long story short, I suspect it can be straightened, but personally, I'd be looking for a replacement blade instead of potentially adding stress to a bend in the metal that may already now be stressed, and knowing the stress a broken blade can cause...

Good luck...

Later,

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Sounds like you all agree it's not supposed to be bent or out of line with the other blades.  From what I can tell the base of the blade is twisted and the actual blade is also bent. I could hammer and dolly the blade back but the thick metal at the base that looks twisted looks too tough to properly fix.  I put a request out to a few folks to see who might have an original in good shape.  When I get it I can also compare to verify if my original is badly twisted.  The saga continues..