Forum Usage Poll - Please Respond

Peter Gariepy

What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums?  

406 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums? (Click all that apply)

• Restoration and maintenance - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Modification and customization - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Restoration and maintenance - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Modification and customization - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Antique automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Modern automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Automotive history and news - 25 years and older
    • Automotive history and news - modern (24 years old and newer)
    • Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2020 at 07:00 AM

How about we all pay our dues if we haven’t already and enjoy this group for what it is?

I finally called and paid mine, which had lapsed because I always have trouble logging into the membership area. I wish it was under the same login as the forum, but I didn’t (or couldn’t), set it up that way. 

• Like 4

Having the same problem renewing (and should be current) says it will send an e-mail about a new member number (thought I was  007081i) but doesn't (and not being trapped, I can look at the mail server).

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Having the same problem renewing (and should be current) says it will send an e-mail about a new member number (thought I was  007081i) but doesn't (and not being trapped, I can look at the mail server).

Just call. They took care of me right away. Very nice folks whenever I’ve called. 👍

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

The Reatta forum was allowed on the site as a package deal with the Buick forums and the Buick club.  I know this, because when that forum appeared there were numerous questions about having the Reatta car discussed due to not being over 25 years old.  The decision had been made by AACA to allow it, rather than exclude the Buick club from the forum.  I’m glad it’s an active forum, I’ve followed numerous posts there and know plenty about Reattas now!  I’m also glad that time has made it now an antique car under AACA rules.

I feel more comfortable allowing discussions about cars that are ABOUT to become antiques than I do allowing hot rods and modified, again, not because I have anything against those cars, it’s just not the correct place to discuss them.

Although I've been a forum member for 13 years, I got here a little late in the game as far as the decision process to allow a forum for Buick Reattas.  It sounds like Reatta owners were tolerated but not really wanted.   You might could say we were/are the red headed step child of the AACA forums.  :) 

I have a question about the poll function on this forum. What does the percentage represent? It's obviously not the percentage of the respondents who selected that particular answer. As I write this, the poll says 345 people have responded. Of those, 340 people have apparently selected the first item - Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles. 340/345 is 98.6%, but the pole says 22.69%. Color me confused.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm with Joe_P, the bar graph is not reflective of the responses. The 1st line as indicated should be 98.6% (at time of his calculation), and all the other lines similarly recalculated. In polls like this, where multiple boxes can be simultaneously checked (or more importantly left unchecked), the sum of the percentages will never add up to 100%. To avoid an unintended impression being created (and formed in people's minds), please change the calculation methodology ASAP along the lines Joe suggests. Furthermore, I would question the integrity of posters who say #1 should not be an acceptable post/discussion. Maybe some careless read of the topic question, hackers, disgruntled observer, etc!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

The 25 year rule for judging makes sense, but seems out of touch with the collector world for discussion, many "modern" and i use that term as a 24 year old car is considered "modern" but the same make and model a year older is considered antique (roll eyes here) many 15-25 year old cars are more collectible than many that are over the 25 rule. It amazes me that it's trending OK to talk about Modification and customization in a club that is supposed to be about authenticity and preservation of original features  but it's not ok to talk about a car that's 24 years old 

43 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

It amazes me that it's trending OK to talk about Modification and customization in a club that is supposed to be about authenticity and preservation of original features  but it's not ok to talk about a car that's 24 years old 

It's easy for me to see why. If you let a post get by you then goes another and another. Pretty soon you've got a group of people who have a interest in modified cars posting. They now know that they can.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I have a question about the poll function on this forum. What does the percentage represent? It's obviously not the percentage of the respondents who selected that particular answer. As I write this, the poll says 345 people have responded. Of those, 340 people have apparently selected the first item - Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles. 340/345 is 98.6%, but the pole says 22.69%. Color me confused.

You are completely correct, it should be 98.6%

The 22.69% must be the percentage of total votes cast; like say I may have checked 3 of the boxes, so I voted 3 times, but only once for the first box. So only 1/3rd of my votes went toward "Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles."

• Like 1

I have been a member for less than 2-years. In that time I have met a number of members that have been so friendly and helpful. My interests are mainly in the older cars, although I do have an interest in some classic cars. The excellent feature that I have found with this AACA forum is that you can choose to follow posts that you are interested in. I tend to mainly read the posts in the 'Our Cars and Restoration' section. I also report on my restoration a 1914 Humberette, If I have a problem, that the followers of my reports can't answer or help on, I may put a post in the 'General Discussion area' or search the site for past information that has been posted on the subject. The beauty on this forum is that you can pick and choose what you want to read or follow. We do go a bit off topic in the posts that I follow and I find that this adds to the enjoyment of the posts. Although I had been in the motor trade from 1969 until I retired in 2004 I still learn something new from this forum at least once a week if not more.

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

You are completely correct, it should be 98.6%

The 22.69% must be the percentage of total votes cast; like say I may have checked 3 of the boxes, so I voted 3 times, but only once for the first box. So only 1/3rd of my votes went toward "Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles."

Good call, Mike. That's exactly what the percentage represents. When I add all the votes cast in the right hand column and then divide that into the 348 currently shown for the first choice, I get the listed 22.69%. I'm not sure how that's a useful number, but that's what it is.

The 25 year rule is getting stupid.  Most of the families in my small town drive Dodge Caravans that are eligible as being pre 1995. There needs to be a sensible cut off year and no rolling over past this date.  No club, whatever area it covers, can be everything to everybody. That includes gardening, churches, fishing, reading - you name it. Bonsai fanatics don’t join the orchid club.  I am a member

• Thanks 2

For the club and forum to survive (gain new members, make advert money)  I think it should also look at a new classification structure that could be both more inclusive as well as useful to a wider audience of similiar interests.

I am a member of many different forums and see how some others segregate the topics. This is one of the few that does not categorize makes or models by model year. Why not have a "1895-1914", "Brass Car", "1917-1936", "1965 - 1978 Modified", areas on the forum so that users see the topics of interest and can jump around as they want. Some even have sections for part suppliers that post group discount codes and group buys, which I have benefited. I know this has one as well, but make specific or original verses modification type vendors could be separated as well.

I would love to be able to find topics on my old and newer cars in the same place instead of 5 different forums (and logins and passwords)

Agree with many on here  - Just because someone posts a topic you do not care for does not mean you have to read or respond. 

Edited by 72caddy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

The 25 year rule is getting stupid.  Most of the families in my small town drive Dodge Caravans that are eligible as being pre 1995. There needs to be a sensible cut off year and no rolling over past this date.  

Currently there’s an active thread about a 1996 Geo Metro.  That’s 6 years newer than the newest car I own and drive every day.  If I have problems with it I search the forums that exist that are specific to it, I know better than to water down this site with modern garbage.  And yes it’s 30 years old but I still consider it modern. Nobody at the gas station has ever commented about it being an antique car!

Too many people want a one stop and shop forum.  It eventually waters down the content and pushes away the valuable contributors of actual antique car knowledge and you’re left with nothing of any value.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Modeleh said:

Too many people want a one stop and shop forum.  It eventually waters down the content and pushes away the valuable contributors of actual antique car knowledge and you’re left with nothing of any value.

You may well be correct. I have stumbled on some interesting posts on pre 1940 vehicles just by seeing them mentioned on the sites that I follow. I must admit that when I first joined this forum, I used to look down the 'General Discussion' posts every morning, now, as there seem to be so many posts that aren't of interest to me, I don't bother any more and just follow the sites I am interested in. Possibly, I am missing some interesting posts. Tomorrow I will start looking again each morning and perhaps put my 2d (two old British pennies) worth  in, on this thread, in a couple of days time.

I think that Matt Harwood fairly well summarized my feelings on this subject earlier in this discussion. One guy who wanted to talk about restomods got upset when he was told that some of his posts were inappropriate for this forum. Instead of modifying his behavior, or going elsewhere, he started complaining about the forum rules quite publicly and attempted to solicit supporters for his position. The bottom line is the forum has run fairly well for decades, with occasional bumps along the road, without taking massive moderator activity to keep it civil and generally within the rules. This poll and this discussion was an overreaction to this recent issue.

AACA hosts this forum along with multiple other subforums for different clubs and for the vast majority of all AACA eligible cars. The vast majority of the members follow the forum rules. I would prefer to see this poll and discussion ended soon and let us get back to the normal day to day use of the forum to discuss Preservation, Maintenance, Restoration and Repair of Antique Automobiles and related AACA and other antique car clubs.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Here in PA the age rule to get antique license plates is the vehicle has to be 26 years old to qualify.  Seems like 25 year old cars are “new” but that’s the rule.  I don’t see many 90s era cars with antique tags running around my local area.

Check out the Buick Forums if not familiar. 

There are the expected ones but also Modified, Performance, Reatta, Riviera.  It works well. 

Interesting the comment on the ever growing Post War grouping may be getting too large. Not sure where to divide it to help users find what interests them easier. 

Having the Year and Model or Noun in any title always helps. 

3 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Check out the Buick Forums if not familiar. 

There are the expected ones but also Modified, Performance, Reatta, Riviera.  It works well. 

Interesting the comment on the ever growing Post War grouping may be getting too large. Not sure where to divide it to help users find what interests them easier. 

Having the Year and Model or Noun in any title always helps. 

Yes!, there have been a few Modified Buick threads started here in the General section that were moved to the Buick section by moderators. 

Certainly this was NOT a scientific poll.  The number of new respondence has also slowed dramatically so I think its fair to assume the results are as good as they are going to get.  The results are:

Virtually every respondent (100%) checked:

The following get less than 50%.

It's obvious based upon the text responses that there was some confusion as to the definition of "modified".  I posted "beyond keeping it on the road for reliability, legal or safety reasons."  Many didn't see it, or simple ignored it.

The remaining got less than 25%:

And of course a few rotten apples (6) voted for:

----

Its obvious to many regulars here I posted this poll out of frustration due to a few recent threads. Someone even challenged the status quo with antidotal evidence that forum users WANT to discuss modified cars.  This poll proved them wrong.

Even if the poll showed that forum users definitely wished to discuss modified car that doesn't mean the focus of the forum would instantaneously change.  Of course, the AACA Board of Directors should consider input from the members, but It's still the AACA forums, and the Board of Directors establish direction.

Nothing has changed.

• This forum is for and about original cars older than 25 years of age.
  • Moderators will continue to be "moderate" in how they address off-topic conversations (as they have for 20 year)
  • Those that habitually break or push the forum rules will be moderated (or banned) as required.

For those of you who do not like the rules, or the focus of these forums, feel free to contact the AACA Board of Directors. It would help if you were an AACA member.  If not, maybe you should be if you are using this FREE forum?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Certainly this was NOT a scientific poll.  The number of new respondence has also slowed dramatically so I think its fair to assume the results are as good as they are going to get.  The results are:

Virtually every respondent (100%) checked:

The following get less than 50%.

It's obvious based upon the text responses that there was some confusion as to the definition of "modified".  I posted "beyond keeping it on the road for reliability, legal or safety reasons."  Many didn't see it, or simple ignored it.

The remaining got less than 25%:

----

Its obvious to many regulars here I posted this poll out of frustration due to a few recent threads. Someone even challenged the status quo with antidotal evidence that forum users WANT to discuss modified cars.  This poll proved them wrong.

Even if the poll showed that forum users definitely wished to discuss modified car that doesn't mean the focus of the forum would instantaneously change.  Of course, the AACA Board of Directors should consider input from the members, but It's still the AACA forums, and the Board of Directors establish direction.

Nothing has changed.

• This forum is for and about original cars older than 25 years of age.
  • Moderators will continue to be "moderate" in how they address off-topic conversations (as they have for 20 year)
  • Those that habitually break or push the forum rules will be moderated (or banned) as required.

For those of you who do not like the rules, or the focus of these forums, feel free to contact the AACA Board of Directors. It would help if you were an AACA member.  If not, maybe you should be if you are using this FREE forum?

In regards to this statement below:

{ First, I don't think it's appropriate to call some people rotten apples ( we're not supposed to name call here on the forum) especially when you solicited a opinion from them. Even though I WASN'T ONE OF THE SIX that voted for Non automobile discussions- Religion- politics.

However I did post the below statement;

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

{I would not change anything that has to do with  AACA's mission. Going onto the Forum I would like that mission boldly expressed. And everyone who post a new topic should be reminded of that mission and would have to click on a box before proceeding with that new post.

There is one thing that does bother me, and it has to do the whole car hobby. There have in the past  and will continue into the future efforts that target old cars. We have seen fuels change, paint restrictions,  and laws enacted in certain states in regards to emissions, and emission testing etc. I have a mid 70's Oldsmobile that I bought new and kept every bi annual emission test for 40 years until I moved. The vehicle always passed, however CO and HC standards with each year became more and more stringent and a new category was added for a vehicle when new never had that requirement on a test. That requirement was a NOX standard. I had some insider knowledge to these new standards being in the industry and as to the why they were being implemented. As it turned out these vehicles were quietly being legislated off the road.}

Well,  we know politicians create legislation, so how can we discuss what's going on by legislators to warn fellow car enthusiast of impending laws that effect us without exposing proposed laws and their authors?  }

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When legislation effects our antique cars it becomes a "Automobile Discussion" and since legislators are politicians we can't have a discussion about what effects our cars.

In Arizona emission testing goes back to 1967. In California, emission testing goes back to 1975, and cars with exhaust controls 1966-1975 must have all their emission equipment in working order if the state deems it necessary to pull them back into testing . I don't know about other states, but in those two states there are a lot of collectors who will not collect newer cars because of these laws and that is BAD news for newer members who want to get started, and the only way they can is to buy cheaper newer cars that age wise falls into AACA eligible cars.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

First, I don't think it's appropriate to call some people rotten apples ( we're not supposed to name call here on the forum) especially when you solicited a opinion from them. Even though I WASN'T ONE OF THE SIX that voted for Non automobile discussions- Religion- politics.

They are rotten apples if they insist on posting things non-auto related even when the rules explicitly say they should not.  They are the biggest thorn in Moderators sides. I stand my my statement. 

The poll stated "Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.". You incorrectly assumed no discussion of automotive related legislation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

They are rotten apples if they insist on posting things non-auto related even when the rules explicitly say they should not.  They are the biggest thorn in Moderators sides. I stand my my statement. 

The poll stated "Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.". You incorrectly assumed no discussion of automotive related legislation. 

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong. If a legislator is trying to pass legislation that is detrimental to antique vehicles it's ok to expose the legislation and it's author or it's origin? Is the post restricted to Legislation Forum only, or can it be posted in the General section just like so many technical questions are posted in the general section?.

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong. If a legislator is trying to pass legislation that is detrimental to antique vehicles it's ok to expose the legislation and it's author or it's origin?

Don't bash the legislator or his party, but certainly  point out how it adversely affects the hobby here in the forum.

Guess I must not understand newspeak. How does " Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. " translate to "as it left the factory" ? I've enjoyed all forms of automobilia (well always had issues with '60 Fords and Daimler SP250s), Am I the only one who remembers the Boston Beany Sprout or the Cyclops or the brakes on the Citi-Car (road test was really funny) ? Or the 1973 Pontiac-EPA debacle ? Do tend to find humour (UK) in everything. Or are we supposed to replace the smog timer in GTOs ? The carbide liners in Vegas ? Mods like the Astro-Spiral ? If it didn't have juice brakes fagedaboudit ?

Guess my point is that when I was judging could always find things rong with every car I looked at. Either options were mixed that weren't from the factory or parts like alternators or distributors or even radios were not as factory installed or documented. Keep in mind that I spent the early 70s as a car nut working for GM. Observed just what happened to a "body in aisle" or a "foreman's friend". Find it hard to believe it wasn't even moreso in the early daze.

I just enjoy cars as they are, even badge engineered models. Now that nearly every car has recalls which is correct ? Before or after ? Has anyone ever heard of the wobble plate fuel pump in a 63 Corvette FI ? (Yes there were recalls and "superseded parts" even in the '60s. Suspect some Skybox purchasers would be surprised to find out how wrong that shiny thing the just rolled down the ramp was.

So think this is really much ado about nothing and the founders are probably rolling in their graves laughing.

ps Peter you are doing a great but often thankess job. Thank you.

• Like 1

Fun two seaters. Probably a reason the AACA digital mag was called the  Speedster.

Personally rank cars by enjoyment factor, not price or reputation (heck I've had three Vega GTs, an Astre wagon, and a Sunbird. Most with 4-speed and AC Enjoyed all of them).

Never saw a car I could shift faster than a FIAT 1500 Spyder, Muncie in Buick GS came close.

Jan good question.  I suggested Speedster section a long time ago.  They are not hot rods, at least IMO and efforts to either duplicate or replicate the original brass era speedsters are not new, a lot of better brand builds were done 60 to 70 years ago.  I thought that type of vehicle fit here better than some other types.  Made respectful request to the forum, it was accepted.  I think it has been popular even though I no longer follow actively, really focused on Model A's now.  😊

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)