Peter Gariepy

Forum Usage Poll - Please Respond

What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums?  

406 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums? (Click all that apply)

• Restoration and maintenance - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Modification and customization - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Restoration and maintenance - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Modification and customization - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Antique automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Modern automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Automotive history and news - 25 years and older
    • Automotive history and news - modern (24 years old and newer)
    • Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2020 at 07:00 AM

I think that Matt Harwood fairly well summarized my feelings on this subject earlier in this discussion. One guy who wanted to talk about restomods got upset when he was told that some of his posts were inappropriate for this forum. Instead of modifying his behavior, or going elsewhere, he started complaining about the forum rules quite publicly and attempted to solicit supporters for his position. The bottom line is the forum has run fairly well for decades, with occasional bumps along the road, without taking massive moderator activity to keep it civil and generally within the rules. This poll and this discussion was an overreaction to this recent issue.

AACA hosts this forum along with multiple other subforums for different clubs and for the vast majority of all AACA eligible cars. The vast majority of the members follow the forum rules. I would prefer to see this poll and discussion ended soon and let us get back to the normal day to day use of the forum to discuss Preservation, Maintenance, Restoration and Repair of Antique Automobiles and related AACA and other antique car clubs.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Here in PA the age rule to get antique license plates is the vehicle has to be 26 years old to qualify.  Seems like 25 year old cars are “new” but that’s the rule.  I don’t see many 90s era cars with antique tags running around my local area.

Check out the Buick Forums if not familiar. 

There are the expected ones but also Modified, Performance, Reatta, Riviera.  It works well. 

Interesting the comment on the ever growing Post War grouping may be getting too large. Not sure where to divide it to help users find what interests them easier. 

Having the Year and Model or Noun in any title always helps. 

22 minutes ago, Brian_Heil said:

Interesting the comment on the ever growing Post War grouping may be getting too large. Not sure where to divide it to help users find what interests them easier. 

Maybe 1965

20 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Maybe 1965

Can we call that Post War- Pre Street Hemi?

3 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Check out the Buick Forums if not familiar. 

There are the expected ones but also Modified, Performance, Reatta, Riviera.  It works well. 

Having the Year and Model or Noun in any title always helps. 

Yes!, there have been a few Modified Buick threads started here in the General section that were moved to the Buick section by moderators. 

I don’t see many 90s era cars with antique tags running around my local area.

Some states have limitations on when and how far you can drive. Where i live you are limited to 3000 miles per year.

Certainly this was NOT a scientific poll.  The number of new respondence has also slowed dramatically so I think its fair to assume the results are as good as they are going to get.  The results are:

Virtually every respondent (100%) checked:

The following get less than 50%.

It's obvious based upon the text responses that there was some confusion as to the definition of "modified".  I posted "beyond keeping it on the road for reliability, legal or safety reasons."  Many didn't see it, or simple ignored it.

The remaining got less than 25%:

And of course a few rotten apples (6) voted for:

----

Its obvious to many regulars here I posted this poll out of frustration due to a few recent threads. Someone even challenged the status quo with antidotal evidence that forum users WANT to discuss modified cars.  This poll proved them wrong.

Even if the poll showed that forum users definitely wished to discuss modified car that doesn't mean the focus of the forum would instantaneously change.  Of course, the AACA Board of Directors should consider input from the members, but It's still the AACA forums, and the Board of Directors establish direction.

Nothing has changed.

• This forum is for and about original cars older than 25 years of age.
  • Moderators will continue to be "moderate" in how they address off-topic conversations (as they have for 20 year)
  • Those that habitually break or push the forum rules will be moderated (or banned) as required.

For those of you who do not like the rules, or the focus of these forums, feel free to contact the AACA Board of Directors. It would help if you were an AACA member.  If not, maybe you should be if you are using this FREE forum?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Certainly this was NOT a scientific poll.  The number of new respondence has also slowed dramatically so I think its fair to assume the results are as good as they are going to get.  The results are:

Virtually every respondent (100%) checked:

The following get less than 50%.

It's obvious based upon the text responses that there was some confusion as to the definition of "modified".  I posted "beyond keeping it on the road for reliability, legal or safety reasons."  Many didn't see it, or simple ignored it.

The remaining got less than 25%:

----

Its obvious to many regulars here I posted this poll out of frustration due to a few recent threads. Someone even challenged the status quo with antidotal evidence that forum users WANT to discuss modified cars.  This poll proved them wrong.

Even if the poll showed that forum users definitely wished to discuss modified car that doesn't mean the focus of the forum would instantaneously change.  Of course, the AACA Board of Directors should consider input from the members, but It's still the AACA forums, and the Board of Directors establish direction.

Nothing has changed.

• This forum is for and about original cars older than 25 years of age.
  • Moderators will continue to be "moderate" in how they address off-topic conversations (as they have for 20 year)
  • Those that habitually break or push the forum rules will be moderated (or banned) as required.

For those of you who do not like the rules, or the focus of these forums, feel free to contact the AACA Board of Directors. It would help if you were an AACA member.  If not, maybe you should be if you are using this FREE forum?

In regards to this statement below:

{ First, I don't think it's appropriate to call some people rotten apples ( we're not supposed to name call here on the forum) especially when you solicited a opinion from them. Even though I WASN'T ONE OF THE SIX that voted for Non automobile discussions- Religion- politics.

However I did post the below statement;

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

{I would not change anything that has to do with  AACA's mission. Going onto the Forum I would like that mission boldly expressed. And everyone who post a new topic should be reminded of that mission and would have to click on a box before proceeding with that new post.

There is one thing that does bother me, and it has to do the whole car hobby. There have in the past  and will continue into the future efforts that target old cars. We have seen fuels change, paint restrictions,  and laws enacted in certain states in regards to emissions, and emission testing etc. I have a mid 70's Oldsmobile that I bought new and kept every bi annual emission test for 40 years until I moved. The vehicle always passed, however CO and HC standards with each year became more and more stringent and a new category was added for a vehicle when new never had that requirement on a test. That requirement was a NOX standard. I had some insider knowledge to these new standards being in the industry and as to the why they were being implemented. As it turned out these vehicles were quietly being legislated off the road.}

Well,  we know politicians create legislation, so how can we discuss what's going on by legislators to warn fellow car enthusiast of impending laws that effect us without exposing proposed laws and their authors?  }

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When legislation effects our antique cars it becomes a "Automobile Discussion" and since legislators are politicians we can't have a discussion about what effects our cars.

In Arizona emission testing goes back to 1967. In California, emission testing goes back to 1975, and cars with exhaust controls 1966-1975 must have all their emission equipment in working order if the state deems it necessary to pull them back into testing . I don't know about other states, but in those two states there are a lot of collectors who will not collect newer cars because of these laws and that is BAD news for newer members who want to get started, and the only way they can is to buy cheaper newer cars that age wise falls into AACA eligible cars.   

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

First, I don't think it's appropriate to call some people rotten apples ( we're not supposed to name call here on the forum) especially when you solicited a opinion from them. Even though I WASN'T ONE OF THE SIX that voted for Non automobile discussions- Religion- politics.

They are rotten apples if they insist on posting things non-auto related even when the rules explicitly say they should not.  They are the biggest thorn in Moderators sides. I stand my my statement. 

The poll stated "Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.". You incorrectly assumed no discussion of automotive related legislation. 

• Like 1

Pfeil...

If you scroll down Forum topics you will find right after Judging is the Legislation forum.

9 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

They are rotten apples if they insist on posting things non-auto related even when the rules explicitly say they should not.  They are the biggest thorn in Moderators sides. I stand my my statement. 

The poll stated "Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.". You incorrectly assumed no discussion of automotive related legislation. 

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong. If a legislator is trying to pass legislation that is detrimental to antique vehicles it's ok to expose the legislation and it's author or it's origin? Is the post restricted to Legislation Forum only, or can it be posted in the General section just like so many technical questions are posted in the general section?.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong. If a legislator is trying to pass legislation that is detrimental to antique vehicles it's ok to expose the legislation and it's author or it's origin?

Don't bash the legislator or his party, but certainly  point out how it adversely affects the hobby here in the forum.

Guess I must not understand newspeak. How does " Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. " translate to "as it left the factory" ? I've enjoyed all forms of automobilia (well always had issues with '60 Fords and Daimler SP250s), Am I the only one who remembers the Boston Beany Sprout or the Cyclops or the brakes on the Citi-Car (road test was really funny) ? Or the 1973 Pontiac-EPA debacle ? Do tend to find humour (UK) in everything. Or are we supposed to replace the smog timer in GTOs ? The carbide liners in Vegas ? Mods like the Astro-Spiral ? If it didn't have juice brakes fagedaboudit ?

Guess my point is that when I was judging could always find things rong with every car I looked at. Either options were mixed that weren't from the factory or parts like alternators or distributors or even radios were not as factory installed or documented. Keep in mind that I spent the early 70s as a car nut working for GM. Observed just what happened to a "body in aisle" or a "foreman's friend". Find it hard to believe it wasn't even moreso in the early daze.

I just enjoy cars as they are, even badge engineered models. Now that nearly every car has recalls which is correct ? Before or after ? Has anyone ever heard of the wobble plate fuel pump in a 63 Corvette FI ? (Yes there were recalls and "superseded parts" even in the '60s. Suspect some Skybox purchasers would be surprised to find out how wrong that shiny thing the just rolled down the ramp was.

So think this is really much ado about nothing and the founders are probably rolling in their graves laughing.

ps Peter you are doing a great but often thankess job. Thank you.

• Like 1

Fun two seaters. Probably a reason the AACA digital mag was called the  Speedster.

Personally rank cars by enjoyment factor, not price or reputation (heck I've had three Vega GTs, an Astre wagon, and a Sunbird. Most with 4-speed and AC Enjoyed all of them).

Never saw a car I could shift faster than a FIAT 1500 Spyder, Muncie in Buick GS came close.

Jan good question.  I suggested Speedster section a long time ago.  They are not hot rods, at least IMO and efforts to either duplicate or replicate the original brass era speedsters are not new, a lot of better brand builds were done 60 to 70 years ago.  I thought that type of vehicle fit here better than some other types.  Made respectful request to the forum, it was accepted.  I think it has been popular even though I no longer follow actively, really focused on Model A's now.  😊

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Peter,

That is sort of where the Forums are right now.  Heavy on over 25 years old and lighter on the rest.  Leave it the way it is and keep moderating the way you do.

Dale

• Like 6