Peter Gariepy

Forum Usage Poll - Please Respond

What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums?  

406 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you consider acceptable posts/conversations in the AACA forums? (Click all that apply)

• Restoration and maintenance - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Modification and customization - antique automobiles 25 years and older
    • Restoration and maintenance - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Modification and customization - modern automobiles (24 years old and newer)
    • Antique automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Modern automotive related topics - memorabilia, literature, books, etc.
    • Automotive history and news - 25 years and older
    • Automotive history and news - modern (24 years old and newer)
    • Non automobile discussions - Religion, politics, etc.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2020 at 07:00 AM

After participating in online forums for the last 25 years, this is the sort of stuff that kills them. People read and share these posts for enjoyment; why else would they? 

Air grievances with the administrators in private and leave the civil, entertaining discussion out of it.

-Ron

• Like 1

Matt's well thought out post says it all, one minor add, what fits in an antique oriented forum (speedsters, safety mods, occasional somewhat related but ot posts) outside of the core mission is pretty well established.  Someone suggested this is a logical place for doodlebugs and the like and i tend to agree but defer to the mods on that. 

The point is, stuff that falls way out of bounds usually gets little play, and so we sort of self regulate.  Most fb pages have rules as well.  We have a good thing going, and don't want to lose valued members so if it aint broke lets not fix it, ok?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rember that the Doodle Bugs  were made before WW2

A lot of the hot rods  lot of them were made 25 yrs ago or more.

I took  my 39 Chevy to town oner day this summer and  stopped at the gas station  and another car pulled in  and  he asked me  who was the oldest,

I told him the Economy hit and miss in the back of the truck was the oldest the truck was next and me last

Just a thought but maybe a forum for cars "soon to be antiques" say over 10 years old, and maybe one for "orphan cars" (many before 2010). This would provide an AACA venue for brining new interests in.

As an aside I agree with Trimacar about the Reatta forum, that is how I got here but many threads are on things like swapping in a L67 or a Getrag, no-one minds.

So create a venue so those "no yet antique" or for "keep them on the road" that can consider when non-original means for repair and I won't discuss here how to use an inner tube to repair the power brake in an E-type.

ps probably have been around too long but remember when a Duesy was a $600.00 car (think it was in Road & Track).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

A lot of the hot rods  lot of them were made 25 yrs ago or more.

Playing these games with the interpretation of the AACA mission statement is kind of what got us here. The AACA isn't a club for cars that are merely 25 years old or older. It's for STOCK, UNMODIFIED cars that are 25 years old or older. Plenty of cool rods built in the '50s, which was 70 years ago. Awesome. I love them. Many have history that's more significant than unmodified cars and represent a fundamental shift in the American way of life. They are an important part of our identity and our culture. I understand their place in history and in our hobby.

This is still not the place for them.

This kind of false equivalence is why we're having problems where none should exist. It's why people are suddenly advocating for stronger rules and tighter regulation and more moderation. None of that was needed until people started saying things like, "Well, some hot rods are made out of cars that fit the AACA age requirement, so I don't see the problem with including..." NO!

Trying to turn this forum into something it doesn't want to be will turn it into a place nobody wants. Letting it be what it has always been will ensure it continues to be great. Expanding horizons to include modified cars and/or adding more rules are not the answer.

Stop trying to make square pegs fit where round pegs belong and nobody will have to make a rule that says NO SQUARE PEGS ALLOWED. Even better, we won't have to enforce that rule and turn the place into a no-fun zone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

How about we all pay our dues if we haven’t already and enjoy this group for what it is?

I finally called and paid mine, which had lapsed because I always have trouble logging into the membership area. I wish it was under the same login as the forum, but I didn’t (or couldn’t), set it up that way. 

• Like 4

Having the same problem renewing (and should be current) says it will send an e-mail about a new member number (thought I was  007081i) but doesn't (and not being trapped, I can look at the mail server).

So,there's some car's ,just under the restoration projects that are not original,or never built it was allowed for years,have I followed the post,yes, amazing work.most of our car's are pretty 30,we are purists,and I also agree with the mission,but also like to see great work

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Having the same problem renewing (and should be current) says it will send an e-mail about a new member number (thought I was  007081i) but doesn't (and not being trapped, I can look at the mail server).

Just call. They took care of me right away. Very nice folks whenever I’ve called. 👍

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

The Reatta forum was allowed on the site as a package deal with the Buick forums and the Buick club.  I know this, because when that forum appeared there were numerous questions about having the Reatta car discussed due to not being over 25 years old.  The decision had been made by AACA to allow it, rather than exclude the Buick club from the forum.  I’m glad it’s an active forum, I’ve followed numerous posts there and know plenty about Reattas now!  I’m also glad that time has made it now an antique car under AACA rules.

I feel more comfortable allowing discussions about cars that are ABOUT to become antiques than I do allowing hot rods and modified, again, not because I have anything against those cars, it’s just not the correct place to discuss them.

Although I've been a forum member for 13 years, I got here a little late in the game as far as the decision process to allow a forum for Buick Reattas.  It sounds like Reatta owners were tolerated but not really wanted.   You might could say we were/are the red headed step child of the AACA forums.  :) 

I have a question about the poll function on this forum. What does the percentage represent? It's obviously not the percentage of the respondents who selected that particular answer. As I write this, the poll says 345 people have responded. Of those, 340 people have apparently selected the first item - Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles. 340/345 is 98.6%, but the pole says 22.69%. Color me confused.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm with Joe_P, the bar graph is not reflective of the responses. The 1st line as indicated should be 98.6% (at time of his calculation), and all the other lines similarly recalculated. In polls like this, where multiple boxes can be simultaneously checked (or more importantly left unchecked), the sum of the percentages will never add up to 100%. To avoid an unintended impression being created (and formed in people's minds), please change the calculation methodology ASAP along the lines Joe suggests. Furthermore, I would question the integrity of posters who say #1 should not be an acceptable post/discussion. Maybe some careless read of the topic question, hackers, disgruntled observer, etc!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

The 25 year rule for judging makes sense, but seems out of touch with the collector world for discussion, many "modern" and i use that term as a 24 year old car is considered "modern" but the same make and model a year older is considered antique (roll eyes here) many 15-25 year old cars are more collectible than many that are over the 25 rule. It amazes me that it's trending OK to talk about Modification and customization in a club that is supposed to be about authenticity and preservation of original features  but it's not ok to talk about a car that's 24 years old 

Heck in five more years I'll be an antique member.

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2020 at 12:11 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

MODERN ANY THING WITH A COMPUTER !! BUT MAY HAVE TO REVISIT IN A NUMBER OF  YEARS.

THIS NEW STUFF THEY ARE PUSHING WILL NOT MAKE 25 YEARS

KEEP AN OPEN MIND

43 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

It amazes me that it's trending OK to talk about Modification and customization in a club that is supposed to be about authenticity and preservation of original features  but it's not ok to talk about a car that's 24 years old 

It's easy for me to see why. If you let a post get by you then goes another and another. Pretty soon you've got a group of people who have a interest in modified cars posting. They now know that they can.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I have a question about the poll function on this forum. What does the percentage represent? It's obviously not the percentage of the respondents who selected that particular answer. As I write this, the poll says 345 people have responded. Of those, 340 people have apparently selected the first item - Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles. 340/345 is 98.6%, but the pole says 22.69%. Color me confused.

You are completely correct, it should be 98.6%

The 22.69% must be the percentage of total votes cast; like say I may have checked 3 of the boxes, so I voted 3 times, but only once for the first box. So only 1/3rd of my votes went toward "Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles."

• Like 1

I have been a member for less than 2-years. In that time I have met a number of members that have been so friendly and helpful. My interests are mainly in the older cars, although I do have an interest in some classic cars. The excellent feature that I have found with this AACA forum is that you can choose to follow posts that you are interested in. I tend to mainly read the posts in the 'Our Cars and Restoration' section. I also report on my restoration a 1914 Humberette, If I have a problem, that the followers of my reports can't answer or help on, I may put a post in the 'General Discussion area' or search the site for past information that has been posted on the subject. The beauty on this forum is that you can pick and choose what you want to read or follow. We do go a bit off topic in the posts that I follow and I find that this adds to the enjoyment of the posts. Although I had been in the motor trade from 1969 until I retired in 2004 I still learn something new from this forum at least once a week if not more.

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

You are completely correct, it should be 98.6%

The 22.69% must be the percentage of total votes cast; like say I may have checked 3 of the boxes, so I voted 3 times, but only once for the first box. So only 1/3rd of my votes went toward "Repair and Maintenance of Antique Automobiles."

Good call, Mike. That's exactly what the percentage represents. When I add all the votes cast in the right hand column and then divide that into the 348 currently shown for the first choice, I get the listed 22.69%. I'm not sure how that's a useful number, but that's what it is.

The 25 year rule is getting stupid.  Most of the families in my small town drive Dodge Caravans that are eligible as being pre 1995. There needs to be a sensible cut off year and no rolling over past this date.  No club, whatever area it covers, can be everything to everybody. That includes gardening, churches, fishing, reading - you name it. Bonsai fanatics don’t join the orchid club.  I am a member

• Thanks 2

This is "forum" so i would say all with a possible no to the last one. But that depends on who is running the site/forum. Usually non automotive posts don't do so well as far as traffic. Just my $.02 

For the club and forum to survive (gain new members, make advert money)  I think it should also look at a new classification structure that could be both more inclusive as well as useful to a wider audience of similiar interests.

I am a member of many different forums and see how some others segregate the topics. This is one of the few that does not categorize makes or models by model year. Why not have a "1895-1914", "Brass Car", "1917-1936", "1965 - 1978 Modified", areas on the forum so that users see the topics of interest and can jump around as they want. Some even have sections for part suppliers that post group discount codes and group buys, which I have benefited. I know this has one as well, but make specific or original verses modification type vendors could be separated as well.

I would love to be able to find topics on my old and newer cars in the same place instead of 5 different forums (and logins and passwords)

Agree with many on here  - Just because someone posts a topic you do not care for does not mean you have to read or respond. 

Edited by 72caddy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

The 25 year rule is getting stupid.  Most of the families in my small town drive Dodge Caravans that are eligible as being pre 1995. There needs to be a sensible cut off year and no rolling over past this date.  

Currently there’s an active thread about a 1996 Geo Metro.  That’s 6 years newer than the newest car I own and drive every day.  If I have problems with it I search the forums that exist that are specific to it, I know better than to water down this site with modern garbage.  And yes it’s 30 years old but I still consider it modern. Nobody at the gas station has ever commented about it being an antique car!

Too many people want a one stop and shop forum.  It eventually waters down the content and pushes away the valuable contributors of actual antique car knowledge and you’re left with nothing of any value.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Modeleh said:

Too many people want a one stop and shop forum.  It eventually waters down the content and pushes away the valuable contributors of actual antique car knowledge and you’re left with nothing of any value.

You may well be correct. I have stumbled on some interesting posts on pre 1940 vehicles just by seeing them mentioned on the sites that I follow. I must admit that when I first joined this forum, I used to look down the 'General Discussion' posts every morning, now, as there seem to be so many posts that aren't of interest to me, I don't bother any more and just follow the sites I am interested in. Possibly, I am missing some interesting posts. Tomorrow I will start looking again each morning and perhaps put my 2d (two old British pennies) worth  in, on this thread, in a couple of days time.