1937 STUDEBAKER PRESIDENT

1937 Studebaker President 3C.  Flathead 8.  3 Speed Manual.  44970 original miles. 

This beauty has been lightly restored in the last 10 years - paint and interior only.  Original engine.  Runs great and rides smooth. Has been used as a getaway car and photo backdrop for weddings for the last 8 years.  Garage kept for as long as I am aware of.  Was upgraded from 6V to a 12V system.  Overall, the interior and exterior is in good condition with a few quirks, like any antique car. 

This Studebaker turns heads wherever it goes!!!  A few parts come with the car,, including original hood ornament.

I hate selling my Studebaker, but I have 5 kids who are either about to be drivers or are entering college.  I have to put my family first -- toys can come later. 

I wasn't able to get all the pics on here.  It is cross listed here if you want to see more.  https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1314452/1937-studebaker-president-for-sale-in-eldersburg-maryland-21784

Price:  $26,000 Negotiable

Please contact me with any questions or additional details. 

L small.jpg

R side small.jpg

Engine small.jpg

doors open small.jpg

Front small.jpg

L corner small.jpg

dash small.jpg

Edited by Tooth Doc
price drop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Tooth Doc changed the title to 1937 STUDEBAKER PRESIDENT

Studebakers have great style, and this car is no exception. 

Have you done any sales price research? I checked the Old Cars Price Guide, which is probably as good as price guides get, and there's considerable disparity between your asking price and their valuation for a car in your car's condition. You might want to check it out. As rare as your car is, I doubt you'll find any auction results.

Winter is a tough time to sell a car as well. If you can wait until Spring, you'll do better.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Suchan -

Thanks for your comments.  I have had local offers much higher than the NADA price guide value, so I'm not sure how they base the prices. 

There are some local car shows in the spring, so I'll get a better feel then.  I'm new to all this, so I appreciate the advice! 

27 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I'd suggest removing the aftermarket swan - the Studebaker's factory ornament (now the base) fits better with the streamline moderne styling of the car.  

I must agree on this.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tooth Doc said:

Suchan -

Thanks for your comments.  I have had local offers much higher than the NADA price guide value, so I'm not sure how they base the prices. 

There are some local car shows in the spring, so I'll get a better feel then.  I'm new to all this, so I appreciate the advice! 

Next offer you get that's much higher than price guide values, take it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I price something that's hard to find comps for I look around at similar tier other make cars that a buyer could buy with the money.  That's your competition.  As attractive as a Stude is this year there are other options and I doubt many buyers are looking for Strictly a 37 Studebaker but shopping for something neat looking from the mid to late 30's. If you gave me 15 to 20 G with that criteria,  I bet I could find something in similar condition to your car in the same body style. 

Neat car good luck with the sale.  

I got a local offer last year for $20000, but I had just bought the car and didn't want to sell.  I'm trying to find him now, believe me.  I decided to list for higher and see what was out there...  I'm not sure I want to sell for less that that. 

I did a little work on the hood ornament... Does this look better?? 

I appreciate all the input!

20200201_090238.jpg

• Like 3

Much better.  It doesn't glare at you from 40 feet away. 

Chances are you may never find that interested party.  People are compulsive when they see something they like.  Chances are that guy might have gone home surfed the net and if serious found something else to buy if he had money burning a hole in his pocket. 

Same has happened with me with cars I didn't really want to sell or wasn't thinking of.  I now look at many of my cars as stepping stones.  I like them,  that's why I bought them,  but know in most cases they are the stepping stone to my next car so I need to be ready to move on when a very good offer is made I may never see again.   So many great cars and so little time/ resources.   I unfortunately don't have the type of income that generates alot of excess so my cars for the most part have to support themselves with small cash infusions at each step.  I've refused good offers on a few cars I have had and regret not selling as they would have helped me get to the next car.  

• Like 2

You might try to list on the  Studebaker club website,. You might sell quicker, but on the other hand, you'll get a better price on Auto Trader, Cars Online, etc. Club members know prices all too well, and, as  has been mentioned, prewar, sedan, non-standard paint will affect offers. On the other hand, 8 cylinder cars are uncommon.

I've always liked the mid-30's Studebakers. My aunt had a silver '36 Dictator sedan  I was supposed to get on my 16th birthday. She changed her mind, and the car was eventually sold in probate for $1500. I'd just bought a house and couldn't afford to bid. I used to visit, pump up the tires and sit in it, admiring the stylish interior.

Good luck with the sale.

• Like 1

I hate to be seen as hypercritical, but seeing as someone else mentioned the color scheme, I'll add that I think that it devalues the car. I actually think quite a bit. The car is, after all, a top of the line model. It appears that the gray is a lovely sort of a dove gray. Light and with a slight hint of blue. I might suggest that you tell any interested parties that the fenders could likely be repainted the same gray if the new owner preferred. The gray could be scanned by a quality paint supplier, or perhaps you have some on hand that could be scanned or mixed.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of that same, or, at least very similar, gray color on a car done in one color only. It's just my opinion, but, notwithstanding the side mount, I think that the lines of the streamlined grille and sculpted fenders flow much nicer without the big blobs of color to halt the eye:

File:Studebaker National Museum May 2014 071 (1937 Studebaker Coupe Express).jpg

• Like 1

1937 Studebaker is one of the best looking cars of that era. If it were a coupe there would be interest at around $20k. Sedans of the era are a tough sell. Go ahead and list it on the Studebaker Drivers Club. Just be prepared for snide remarks!

• 1 month later...

You did good in what seems like a pretty crowded market.  One question was it someone local that saw it or after marketing it to a bigger audience?  I've found you sometimes get more from a local guy that likes the car than when you hang it out there to compete with everything else in the country. 

It actually sold to a gentleman in Estonia (Northern Europe).  He had family interest in the car so this was more of a specific sale  (his great uncle was a Studebaker dealer in the 30's)

The transaction was valid and the the transport company came two days ago to pick it up and ship it overseas. 

I did have an offer last year for $20K that was local, but I wasn't selling then.  

• Like 4