YOM Florida license plate requirements.

Steelbreeze

In the Florida DMV requirements for using year of manufacture plates in their very strict requirements on restored plates it states that the numbers must be "rolled on". Does anyone know how critical this is or even exactly what they mean. I can only think to use an ink roller and try to apply in that manner but to make that perfect on something that isn't exactly new might look a little sloppy. Has anyone encountered this and had a plate pass their hand inspection? Also does anyone have a code for the exact green used on 1947 florida plates? Here's a quote from their website. 

"It must not be bent or torn and can not be touched up in any way. Slight rust is acceptable if the plate can be read from 100 feet away. Excellent professional restorations are now accepted and the judgement of the DMV office is very strict. The original color of the plate must match exactly and the paint must be "rolled" on the numbers"

I've had a few YOM plates registered with the State of Florida, and am surprised that they allow "excellent professional restorations".  Just that phrase alone opens a whole huge can of worms interpretation-wise, and I'm surprised that the State would go there.  Anyway, your post quotes the State:

"It must not be bent or torn and can not be touched up in any way. Slight rust is acceptable if the plate can be read from 100 feet away. Excellent professional restorations are now accepted and the judgement of the DMV office is very strict. The original color of the plate must match exactly and the paint must be "rolled" on the numbers"

"Can not (sic) be touched up in any way.", yet," professional restorations are now accepted", makes on sense to me and is classically contradictory.  After this rant, I guess I need to look up the statute (again).

Back to the subject of this thread.  I think that your idea to use an ink roller to paint the raised letters of the license plate is the way to go.  I'm not sure about the exact original process, but, as I recall, it involved paint impregnated rollers (someone with more knowledge, please correct me).  As to the code of the green paint, I think that it would be very difficult to track that down, if not impossible.  If Tallahassee DMV knows what the "original color of the plate" was, ask them to send you a color sample.  Otherwise, take your plate, with a legible color area, to your nearest paint store, and they should be able to match the color.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Grog

22 hours ago, John348 said:

You will have to mail the physical plates up to Tallahassee for approval

What a gigantic PITA that would be. In Kentucky you simply put a YOM plate on the back of your classic (that is legally registered with an antique plate) and carry the antique plate (no front plates here) inside the vehicle.... :)

PICT0036.JPG

40 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

What a gigantic PITA that would be. In Kentucky you simply put a YOM plate on the back of your classic (that is legally registered with an antique plate) and carry the antique plate (no front plates here) inside the vehicle.... :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I've registered two vehicles with YOM plates in Florida, and it wasn't a PITA at all.  I did have to submit the unrestored plate to the DMV in Tallahassee, but the registration and plate verification was done in less than a week.  The reason for the requirement to submit an unrestored plate is to reduce the possibility that reproduction plates could be submitted and registered.  If that occurred, it is quite possible that several plates, all bearing the same numbers, would be submitted for registration, and that would be at the least confusing but at the worst chaotic.  The principal reason for displaying license plates on vehicles is to identify the owner; however, if a single set of plate numbers was duplicated numerous times, the identification value of the plate would be negated.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, capngrog said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I've registered two vehicles with YOM plates in Florida, and it wasn't a PITA at all.  I did have to submit the unrestored plate to the DMV in Tallahassee, but the registration and plate verification was done in less than a week.  The reason for the requirement to submit an unrestored plate is to reduce the possibility that reproduction plates could be submitted and registered.  If that occurred, it is quite possible that several plates, all bearing the same numbers, would be submitted for registration, and that would be at the least confusing but at the worst chaotic.  The principal reason for displaying license plates on vehicles is to identify the owner; however, if a single set of plate numbers was duplicated numerous times, the identification value of the plate would be negated.

Cheers,

Grog

I had a similar experience with the State of Florida, even though my transaction was 20 years ago. It was very easy. I located  an original 1966 tag with the correct county designation. I sent the required form, along with the tag, to Tallahassee and it was approved in about a week. Very easy to do.

Kevin

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

Cheers,

Grog

I agree it was surprisingly rather easy,

• 4 months later...

If the tag is original and readable with no damage or touch ups, they will approve. The difficulty is when restoring. It does not have to be the correct county you live in or weight designation. I got the original green color from my paint store hand tinting a color to match the back of my tags which were rich and shiny. I ended up with 2 Florida tags yet neither looked good enough in their original condition. Borderline at best. I can have it inspected at the local Florida DMV here in Broward. Luckily one of my plates is in fact for Broward county "10" and the correct weight designation "D". I'm still perfecting the rolled letter issue. I am doing one and another artist friend is doing the "10 D" tag. When finished, if mine passes inspection, I'll have another I can sell. I think it's Penellis county. "4 D" They should both be finished this month. Fingers crossed. Thanx for all the information, experiences and interest. 

Edited by Steelbreeze
Add photo (see edit history)

Florida has over 100 "specialty" plates, leo just looks for a valid current sticker (with the plate number onnit). It is all for revenue generation so they make it as painless as possible. Since I have "E" plates all I need to do is find my "Hertz Rent A Racer" plate frame.

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Florida has over 100 "specialty" plates, leo just looks for a valid current sticker (with the plate number onnit). It is all for revenue generation so they make it as painless as possible. Since I have "E" plates all I need to do is find my "Hertz Rent A Racer" plate frame.

As I recall, all rental cars in Florida had the "E" plates on them until it was realized that cars bearing "E" plates driving around were letting the South Florida carjackers know which vehicles were being driven by vulnerable (usually unarmed) tourists.  I think that the "E" meant "Enterprise" meaning a commercial vehicle, not one belonging to a particular car rental company.

Padgett;  Did the "E" plates cover all commercial vehicles or just rental cars?  As you pointed out in your post above, besides the plate number, Florida tags would indicate the county of residence and the weight and class of the vehicle.  This is not a problem in the State of Florida when it comes to registering YOM plates.  For example, My 1952 Crosley pickup truck sports a YOM Florida plate from Broward County (I live in and the truck is registered in Lake County), for a vehicle of a different weight class. 

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
Add information (see edit history)

YOM plates are a nice touch, but there is an alternative used by most old car guys.   Put the YOM plate on the front of the vehicle.  It allows the less informed car viewers to at least know the year of manufacture before they start tell you about the one they had.  Another advantage is no registration, but it only  works

in states with rear only current tags.

No, just rentals, there were other things for commercial vehicles like C/V and DLR - dealer, MFR - manufacturer (we had a few). (from memory, no promises).

Now rent cars have a bar code in the rear side window.

For more than you ever wanted to know, see here.Though they do not mention the ultra-collectible "69" plate.