Gen 1 rear upper shock mount damaged

BulldogDriver

Started replacing and upgrading the suspension and  brakes on my 63 Riviera. Pulled the rear shocks and found the lefthand side upper mount damaged. The bushing in the shock was egged shape from the damage. I’m going to replace all shocks with Bilsteins but need to fix this first. What are my options? From what I remember these mounts are welded and not sleeved as someone in the past thought it was.

Ray

095B58DF-1299-4226-82B7-2AE6F4A2A7C1.jpeg

13099EBF-BF48-451C-A33D-345C13C90735.jpeg

Springs are weak, changing to dual circuit disc/drum brakes with new lines, upgrade sway bar front/rear, and Bilstein shocks. I had a knock in the rear and didn’t see anything that was causing it until I pulled the shock. Shocks look to be NOS with 3k miles on them. Hard to tell if the damage was done when they were installed or before. South Cal car and nothing is rusted. All bolts still shiny when removed.

I think I’ve a solution to the problem. Don’t want to go with replacing the mounts and the damage is only causing the problem of tearing the bushings up. Ordered a piece of thin walled SS tubing that will go over the bolt after I clean it up and fill the gouges in with JB Weld. Once completed it will show as original when the shocks are installed.

And it beats watching the impeachment proceedings!

Ray

3 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Springs are weak, changing to dual circuit disc/drum brakes with new lines, upgrade sway bar front/rear, and Bilstein shocks. I had a knock in the rear and didn’t see anything that was causing it until I pulled the shock. Shocks look to be NOS with 3k miles on them. Hard to tell if the damage was done when they were installed or before. South Cal car and nothing is rusted. All bolts still shiny when removed.

I think I’ve a solution to the problem. Don’t want to go with replacing the mounts and the damage is only causing the problem of tearing the bushings up. Ordered a piece of thin walled SS tubing that will go over the bolt after I clean it up and fill the gouges in with JB Weld. Once completed it will show as original when the shocks are installed.

And it beats watching the impeachment proceedings!

Ray

Ray,

Where was the knock in the rear? I obviously have not heard the knock but, one thing to consider is the infamous "Riviera Rattle". Even though it is called a rattle it manifests itself as an annoying knock (at least in my car). It was in the right rear. Just a thought. 

Bill