How rare is this Falcon Knight

viv w

These days, due to high restoration costs and 

few people who grew up with cars of that age,

such cars are not in high demand.  However, 

if it is a Falcon Knight, someone who has one

may greatly welcome some usable parts as spares.

In your case, distance is an impediment as well

as demand.  But one never knows!

• Like 1

Falcon Knight was a lower priced companion make to the Willys Knight. It had a smaller Knight sleeve valve engine than the WK. Most of the rest of the car was shared with the Willys Overland Whippet, a small car with conventional engine.

They were only made for 2 or 3 years and are very rare today. I saw one for sale locally a few years ago in Oshawa.

If the rest of the parts are stashed away nearby you might stand a chance, but most likely it is too far gone.

Here are photos of a 1927 Falcon Knight I took about 47 years ago.  The fenders are not the same as your "mystery "car. Maybe you can find other indications from the photo. If the engine is there it should settle the make. The Falcon Knight  had a "Knight" sleeve valve engine which is unlike other common engine configurations. The engine is what  makes the car unique, but is also makes it more difficult (and expensive) to restore. I have no experience with Knight engines but understand parts are nearly non-existent and only an expert should attempt an overhaul --- there are very few experts.  The valve parts are easily damaged if not handled just right.  

1240798819_FalconKnight1927F.thumb.jpg.5413434991a318cadf5ac762dc253236.jpg

1986946642_FalconKnight1927R.thumb.jpg.5c02c454dc86fdb97174e600e6306f3f.jpg

Don

• Like 2

Ahh, the  “it’s really rare so it must be valuable” argument again. Which is almost as bad a discussion to enter as politics, religion, and oppression. I should know better...

I am 100% in agreement with Mercer on this, sadly rarity is in the deficit column with this model range of car. The description above “a lower price companion to...” seals its fate. Now, if you found an unusually bodied Packard, Pierce, Caddy, etc you would have something that could be restored as those parts, while expensive, are at least available.

Here’s an example: The son of an old friend has a Bay State car. I now know of only two that exist. Around 30 years ago it was VERY ROUGH and missing one hubcap. At that time it sold to a guy in Wisconsin who put all the wood back into a 4-door sedan and got it drivable. Once that gentleman died it was purchased for less than when it was a pile of rotting wood, but now it is missing the hubcaps, emblem and  Moto-Meter. He told me that it could cost him more to replace those parts than he paid for it and it’s only for the love of a local car that keeps him looking.

But now, and here’s a sad truth, there are more collectors willing to buy the radiator emblem, the hubcaps, and the mascot for more than what you can sell the rest of a rough project for, and in the case of the Bay State a running car! And yes, I am one of those people who appreciate the automobillia as much as the cars as I think it’s a way of keeping those cars alive and remembered.

That is what you face with a project like this Falcon.

Anyhow, now I am done with my sad rant, a few years ago my wife bought this for my Christmas gift. It is an original factory Falcon car mascot, and one of very few I’ve seen. Yes, very very scarce but wouldn’t bring the same money as a far more common Pierce-Arrow, Cadillac, or Packard of the same year... 

F15E9330-B338-43E5-BDA1-86F9DA11A833.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. It is about 270 miles from my house in an arid part of the country, so it will not deteriorate too soon. I will have a closer look at it next time I'm there and see how much is actually there.

I know it's not a high value car, but thought it may be worth a look.

Viv.