The Car Which Shall Not Be Named III

1 hour ago, franklinman said:

Just received the info on the set-up from Matt today. I’ve already ordered the pump and will pick up the necessary fittings and tubing tonight to put one together for a current project. By dumb luck I mentioned what I was planning to a buddy that stopped by the shop today and he offered me a new unopened 5 gal bucket of evapo rust he had leftover from a recent project. Wow, sometimes things just work out. Sort of scares me though. Looking forward to seeing how clean I can get this block!

Ne sure to see my post on the White .........I bought the same pump and heater Matt did. Pump failed after 7 hours.....junk and not repairable...........

Bought mine from Amazon like Matt......made a noise like a cement mixer......and went bad fast. Checked out Grainger, they had the same pump for three times the money.......168 bucks. Found the same pump at Harbor Fright, which I hate, but am in a hurry, so we bought one there........much better. Quiet, smooth, and no problems........it was 62 dollars. Be sure to buy GOOD heavy hoses, as when the fluid gets hot, the hose gets soft, and will collapse under suction....another headache I had to deal with. Green regular hose will not cut it......the harbor fright pump is green, the Amazon unit was black...you can see both of them below.......

0E76D3F4-5361-4DB6-9440-3D779FE03C23.jpegNotice the green pump no longer is using the green hose....

D3032ED6-4451-413F-92A2-7FA4319F39B6.jpeg

96F6C6E4-C325-45D6-AC0C-690044394943.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bought mine from Amazon like Matt......made a noise like a cement mixer......and went bad fast. Checked out Grainger, they had the same pump for three times the money.......168 bucks. Found the same pump at Harbor Fright, which I hate, but am in a hurry, so we bought one there........much better. Quiet, smooth, and no problems........it was 62 dollars. Be sure to buy GOOD heavy hoses, as when the fluid gets hot, the hose gets soft, and will collapse under suction....another headache I had to deal with. Green regular hose will not cut it......the harbor fright pump is green, the Amazon unit was black...you can see both of them below.......

0E76D3F4-5361-4DB6-9440-3D779FE03C23.jpegNotice the green pump no longer is using the green hose....

D3032ED6-4451-413F-92A2-7FA4319F39B6.jpeg

96F6C6E4-C325-45D6-AC0C-690044394943.jpeg

Dang, I'm sorry Ed. I feel responsible. Mine worked for like two weeks straight on the Lincoln and another week on the Buick and the only failure was the rubber impeller, which I suspect was due to the temperature of the liquid and it softened the glue holding it to the bushing. Heck, I even throttled it a bit so it was working against a deadhead and it's still ready to go on the next one. However, as an inexpensive Chinese pump, I did have low expectations. I'm just sorry that yours crapped itself and you wasted money based on my advice. Sorry about that, but I'm glad the replacement is working properly. Maybe you just got a bad one and it can be returned? 

Glad to see it's cleaning out the sludge and junk. There will still be a lot in there to fish out with a magnet and maybe some wire brushes, but I'm more confident in the Lincoln's cooling passages now than I was before and the Buick came out like new.

Sorry about the pump, but I'm glad you're in-process and moving forward.

PS: I found out the same way you did that regular hoses would not work. I finally used washing machine hoses from Home Depot. About 5 feet long, reinforced so they won't collapse, female couplers at both ends, and color-coded, all for about $15. That's the hot ticket.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Could have used the hose advice in advance! You hosed me! No worries on the pump.....It’s not the extra thirty bucks......it’s the chasing around locating another close by. Also the mess from the leak.......fortunately we caught it quickly. As you know, it’s all in the details......my Home Depot bucket starts getting soft at 160 degrees.......it won’t melt, but it is on the edge of distorting. Matt.....the Amazon pump is already boxed up and returned.......easy as pie. Fortunately I kept thr box and packing. I spent a little extra in hope that the next time I need it I won’t need to chase anything down..........this is the third one I have made over the years.........will do the radiator soon.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ok Ed, I went out to Home Depot and got all the hoses and fittings to put this beast together (I hope). That last piece of the puzzle is the heater. What are you using and how warm/hot does it really need to get to maximize the cleaning action? Do you guys let the system run 24 hours/day? Finally, and I know this question will probably open a whole other can of worms, but now that we will have nice clean rads and blocks what is the best coolant in your experience? I’ve been hearing/reading a lot about the waterless stuff (like the stuff Leno seems to like) but have never tried it. I’ve always used the traditional 50/50 mix of the green stuff and can’t say i’ve Had any real problems but if the newer stuff has a legitiment benifit I wouldn’t be averse to trying it. Just interested in your opinion and experiences.

Go to Amazon and type in bucket heater......it's the yellow one......... not too many choices. You must use heat to get it to work better/faster. Otherwise you can just pit it in the car and drive as long as your not pushing or leaking water. Yes, you can run it 24 hours a day....we run ours 8 hours a day to thermocycle it.......

I run the pre 1994 regular green antifreeze. If I were in a never freeze zone, I would run water with cutting oil. Often when working on a car, I just run water and cutting oil until I’m done dealing with all the issues. Cutting oil washes off with water and won’t damage paint. If the car overheats, pushes water, or spits out the top it’s an easy clean up till you get thr car to behave. 

• Like 1

Thanks again Ed. That’s about what we’ve been doing for years as well. No sense in changing things at this point. Sorry to have bothered you so much while you are busy with the White. I envy you that car. It reminds me so much of the original 1913 Jeffrey 6-cylinder touring I had many years back. Best of luck with it. Bob