1/27 Scale '66 Riviera

EmTee

Look what came in the mail the other day...

image.thumb.png.73b07ecaec04e31e4c0b86c85585f582.png

image.thumb.png.b9246ff4b08f1f1776aaa1b02ff10638.pngimage.thumb.png.76ff964af81eb1c360037905c1098510.png

image.thumb.png.aa363e82f4c55b19642bea1ee598baec.png

Both doors and the hood open (hood doesn't open too far, though).  The front wheels steer by turning the steering wheel.  As can be seen in the interior shot it has the deluxe door panels (complete with the rear seat door handles) and even the dashboard layout is correct.  I think I'll have to disassemble it to paint the interior black.  Fit & finish is OK, but great for the price -- I was pleasantly surprised!  It'll look good on my desk in the garage!  ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Buick-Riviera-Gran-Sport-1-27-SCALE/274212773343

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, J3Studio said:

Promo model or something else?

Something else.  I don't know who commissioned the build, but it's a recent item - not a dealer promo from the '60's.  Once I paint the interior it'll be a dead ringer for Goldie.  The color really is not a bad approximation to Riviera Gold.  I may also try to skinny-down the whitewalls a tad.  It appears that the wheels are intended to replicate the 'super deluxe' turbine wheel covers (not roadwheels).  Like I said, can't beat it for the price...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great score, Tim!

I am bidding on a gold 68 Riviera assembled model on Ebay. I also just scored a complete and unassembled 68 Riviera model kit for $40 from a new seller on Ebay.

I plan on building the unassembled kit to look like the AZ and display it on the air cleaner at shows. The only problem with the 68-69 Riviera kits is that they are of non-vinyl covered roofs. I am going to have to add some trim around the bottom of the C pillars to simulate the chrome strips for the vinyl top and paint the roof in a Satin finish to simulate the vinyl covering of the AZ.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

and paint the roof in a Satin finish to simulate the vinyl covering of the AZ.

Mike, good day.

You could always trying using masking tape to replicate the vinyl top. A little trial and error to figure out how to make the seams (overlay a thin strip) should be relatively easy. Experiment with flat/clear coated or semi-gloss black paints to replicate the colour. For a viewing distance onto your air cleaner, it should represent reasonably well.  In lieu, this place sells a scale vinyl kit. No idea if it's any good or not, but at least they're not the cost of a 1:1 vinyl roof...

https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=63

Good luck, keep us posted...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

-----

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, telriv said:

come across a model of a '68 Wildcat 2 dr. hdtp.

I see 64, 65, 66, 69 and 70 Wildcat model kits but not any 68. Were any 68 Wildcat kits ever created? 

10 hours ago, telriv said:

Thanks for looking & IF you ever do come across one please let me know.

Tom, good day.

From what I can find, I don't think that year was issued by any of the major manufacturers of model kits. It may have been done as a dealer promo, but the below website appears to have a pretty extensive database that is easily searchable. (Search; Buick, 214 results, and they will be grouped by model/etc.) Again, your 'holy grail' doesn't appear to come up...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/#

Later,

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MikeJS said:

From what I can find, I don't think that year was issued by any of the major manufacturers of model kits. It may have been done as a dealer promo, but the below website appears to have a pretty extensive database that is easily searchable. (Search; Buick, 214 results, and they will be grouped by model/etc.) Again, your 'holy grail' doesn't appear to come up...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/#

Wow! The internet doth usually provide—you just have to know it exists. Amazing.

• Haha 1

Tim,

The Gold '68 Riviera kit-built model I just purchased is very similar to your '66.

I now own 6 1/25th scale '68 Riviera promo or kit built models and one 1/64 die cast '68 Riviera toy car.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7d998dea456f8d600e523cb9845629c4.jpg

• Like 1