AAA road service restrictions

huptoy

We have had AAA service since 1964.  May of 2019, I was informed of limits of service by our SIDNEY OH local AAA service office. 

Their "AAA Member Handbook" lists several services not covered.

Service to boat,  horse, light duty, & utility trailers.  This includes all car trailers.  

They will pay to change the tire on your truck but not the trailer. 

AAA said I could negotiate with the driver, $65.00,  to change the tire.

They also list anything "Vintage antique vehicles" as "Services not included".

.Each AAA office makes a decision if they will provide service. 

I have been stranded on the road and other AAA offices have picked me up and delivered me home.

It appears we will be moving to a different road service like Hagerty Ins.

5 minutes ago, huptoy said:

They also list anything "Vintage antique vehicles" as "Services not included".

...It appears we will be moving to a different road service like Hagerty Ins.

My AAA auto club includes antique vehicles.

If they didn't include antiques, I would not belong.

Each auto club makes its own rules, to at least a

certain extent, so maybe it's worth joining a different

AAA club.  You should not have to join just the one

closest to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This other thread, just a couple of months old,

discusses other people's experiences with AAA's

and Hagerty's emergency service.  Hagerty offers

different levels of service;  make sure you can use

ANY towing company, not just one with whom they contract.

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This other thread, just a couple of months old,

discusses other people's experiences with AAA's

and Hagerty's emergency service.  Hagerty offers

different levels of service;  make sure you can use

ANY towing company, not just one with whom they contract.

2018 . hagerty only uses a list of towing companies. when called in october2018  was told a 4 hr wait. i called a  local company and they refused to reimburse me. i dropped their towing coverage

Take a look at Good Sam.

They will deal with ANY pleasure vehicle.

Seems I did read that they wont deal with trailers if they are empty.

I often will throw my Honda Elite in the hauler if I am going any distance empty.

They moved my Motor Coach 20 miles to the shop when it wouldn't start once. That probably paid for several years worth of the policy.

At least it made it home when it started acting up. And yes the trailer was on. I was able to get the trailer freed up and out of the way while I still had air up.

The tow guy tapped into the air system so it would roll again.

20160408_122324.jpg

20160408_122414.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Take a look at your regular insurer - I have State Farm and for something under $10 a year they provide up  to an hour of roadside assistance plus a tow if they can't fix it.  I've also turned in a towing bill I paid and they reimbursed me with no questions.

I also used them when AAA took 3 hours to pick us up and I asked them to take us home from the repair shop (2.4 miles) and they said they were too busy - had the car dropped in our driveway and he said there would be no free tow from my driveway to the shop the next day. Mid winter and we are in our 70's. There is no taxi service in our town. I keep them in case we need that 200 mile tow but they have become pretty pointless otherwise. Letter writing to their corporate headquarters was useless - each club can set their own rules and they are under no obligation  to do anything but drop you with the vehicle. They sure have changed.

When I called State Farm to pick up the car in my driveway and take it to the repair shop they were there in  under an hour. The driver asked what was wrong with it and I told him the power steering line blew (2008 Caravan). He apologized that it wasn't something he could fix as part of the tow. 

Edited by vermontboy
clarity (see edit history)

2 hours ago, vermontboy said:

Take a look at your regular insurer - I have State Farm and for something under $10 a year they provide up  to an hour of roadside assistance plus a tow if they can't fix it.  I've also turned in a towing bill I paid and they reimbursed me with no questions.

I also used them when AAA took 3 hours to pick us up and I asked them to take us home from the repair shop (2.4 miles) and they said they were too busy - had the car dropped in our driveway and he said there would be no free tow from my driveway to the shop the next day. Mid winter and we are in our 70's. There is no taxi service in our town. I keep them in case we need that 200 mile tow but they have become pretty pointless otherwise. Letter writing to their corporate headquarters was useless - each club can set their own rules and they are under no obligation  to do anything but drop you with the vehicle. They sure have changed.

When I called State Farm to pick up the car in my driveway and take it to the repair shop they were there in  under an hour. The driver asked what was wrong with it and I told him the power steering line blew (2008 Caravan). He apologized that it wasn't something he could fix as part of the tow. 

when i left state farm for travelers my insurance went down over 50 percent. they also lost my home owners. they were terrible with my one claim for a deer hit. refused to pay for moer than 3 rental car  days for a vehicle thats wasnt drivable, i paid for 5 more days personally  they will never see my money again

I pay an extra charge on my yearly membership with AAA so they will change tires on my car trailer, and they've done that several times.  They have also hauled my antique car just the same as they haul my modern car from someplace to another.  Like, from a garage to home or from the road to a garage or home, or from someplace to a repair garage.  When I first joined they would not touch my trailer, but for the extra fee on my membership they will.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mercer09 said:

my AAA here in NJ is terrific. They have hauled many purchases home for me.........................

AAA has done some interesting things with collector cars I have bought and sold. The drivers have always been great and if two are on call they will try to get calls with my name. I don't know if the head office ever hears the stories. But even the boss has to have a sense of humor once in a while.

Bernie

• Haha 1

We transferred a non-running, no keys, steering lock car, in park from the flatbed to a 4 car hauling trailer in a strip mall parking lot one evening. I never knew the drugstore was that busy, seemed like a roomy, logical place to do it to me. Quite a feet. Truly Americans and Russians working to a common goal. No pictures.