Pre-war vehicles needed for 2020 EyesOn Design exhibition

95Cardinal

For more than 30 years, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology has sponsored EyesOn Design, an annual international exhibition that celebrates automotive design excellence of the past, present and future. Held on Father’s Day at the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan, the show features a new theme each year.

The 33rd annual EyesOn Design Automotive Design Exhibition will highlight " Marques of Extinction: Significant Designs of Bygone Brands." 

For the 2020 Exhibition, we are still seeking several pre-war vehicles for groups of "Companion Cars" and "Mid-priced Depression Era" categories. 

Vehicles should be pristine original or restored to original condition.

We are looking for the following:

1927-30    Erskine

1932-33    Rockne
1927    LaSalle
1928-31    Plymouth
1929-30    Roosevelt

1929-31 Viking
1931    Oakland
1931    Pontiac
1934    Nash Lafayette
1934-38    Plymouth
1936-38    Terraplane
1938-40    Graham
1939-40    Mercury
1940-41    Willys

If you have - or know of - a vehicle on this list, please send me a PM and I'll follow up with you.

More about the show:

http://www.eyesondesign.org/carshow

About the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology and its services:
https://www.henryford.com/services/eye/dio

Edited by 95Cardinal
corrected vehicle list...again (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Not trying to be snide, but you are going to have a hard time finding a 1926-29 Rockne, since they were only made from 1932-33.

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

1927-30    Erskine

1932-33    Rockne

Thank you both.

Not sure how I messed those up, but thanks for the corrections.

Original post has been updated to incorporate your input.

41 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Interesting choices, would you share with us the criteria that brought you to select these particular makes and model years?

The listed vehicles are a partial list for 2 of the show's categories.

One category will highlight "Companion Cars" from 1926 to (approximately) 1934. It will include new brands and lines that manufacturers added to existing offerings in the pursuit of more "mid-market" buyers. This group includes the Rockne, Erskine, Plymouth, an early LaSalle, Marquette, Pontiac, Roosevelt and Viking.

We intend to include the Oakland because it was effectively displaced by its (Pontiac) companion offering.

The second category showcases significant or iconic designs introduced by defunct mid-market brands in the 1934 to immediate pre-WWII period.

Not all of the cars being displayed are included in my original post, because some vehicles have already been invited.

The specific list of vehicles was compiled jointly by the Vehicle Selection Committee Chairman and our Chief Judge, with additional input from me, the category leader.

3 hours ago, Graham Man said:

You might want to add this car, a friend of mine has it in Lansing.

Image result for 1932 Graham

1932 Graham Model 57 - 100% original car

Thanks, that's a great suggestion!

I'll follow up with the Selection Committee.

Joe

I was at the Eyes on Design show several times and agree it is one of the best shows I have ever been invited to. Agree it is a must do at least once in your life if you can. Met 104 year old Packard owner Margaret Dunning there one year. Had a great time with Larry and Joyce Schramm with our early Buicks there another time. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Thank you for enlarging on the criteria.  Only recommendation I would make is to include a 1934 LaSalle if you haven't already.   The '32-'34 Graham 'Blue Streak' are a highly influential, seminal designs as well. 

Thanks. We might still add one. It is a spectacular, iconic design.

We are trying to not over-represent the LaSalle brand.

An early 30s and an immediate pre-war Graham will both be included.

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)

The influence that both the 1927 LaSalle and the 1934 LaSalle exerted on the direction of automotive design in those years was well beyond the relatively modest number of each model year sold.  Having both included would present a clearer picture of major design initiators of the period.  

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The influence that both the 1927 LaSalle and the 1934 LaSalle exerted on the direction of automotive design in those years was well beyond the relatively modest number of each model year sold.  Having both included would present a clearer picture of major design initiators of the period.  

Agreed.

35 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Since the emphasis is on 'companion cars', Star should be added to your list.

Craig

Craig; that's a great suggestion!

If you know of any examples, please send me a PM.

Thanks

Joe

On 2/8/2020 at 8:36 AM, starlightcoupe said:

Here's a one year only manufacturer sedan that does live in Michigan, a 1933 Continental, that looks like it may have already been shown at Groose Point Shores at some point.

1933 Continental.jpg

Correct me it I'm wrong but this might be Barry Woelk's car?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Who is kathylightbody?

I get emails form her...

Kathy is the Chairman of the EyesOn Design show. She has held Media Relations and Leadership positions with EyesOn Design since 2000.

Her professional career position is Global Marketing Director at Automotive News at Crain Communications.

I was there with my Kaiser Darrin a few years ago.

It was a high honor to be invited and a great experience to be in the presence of other great cars.

It is too bad that this show is on one of the 2 day  Ford Motor Muster in Dearborn.

Anybody within a reasonable drive of the Detroit area that weekend can enjoy 2 great car shows!!

6 hours ago, kfcarguy said:

I was there with my Kaiser Darrin a few years ago.

It was a high honor to be invited and a great experience to be in the presence of other great cars.

It is too bad that this show is on one of the 2 day  Ford Motor Muster in Dearborn.

Anybody within a reasonable drive of the Detroit area that weekend can enjoy 2 great car shows!!

Terry T it would be nice to park next to a kaiser darrin..

Jake..

GetAttachmentThumbnail_008.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail_024.jpg

IMG_8732.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 2/12/2020 at 9:26 AM, dei said:

Correct me it I'm wrong but this might be Barry Woelk's car?

Yes, I was at the show the year Barry had this car there. Had a real enjoyable chat with both he and his wife. I heard he was in a wreak with one of his old cars a while back. I haven't seen him on this site in a while.

1 minute ago, Dandy Dave said:

Yes, I was at the show the year Barry had this car there. Had a real enjoyable chat with both he and his wife. I heard he was in a wreak with one of his old cars a while back. I haven't seen him on this site in a while.

Sadly Dave the crash was pretty severe in their Lincoln Zepher which was just nicely restored almost killing them, destroying the car leaving them with years of therapy to recover.

I had met Barry at a Ford Employee car show in Dearborn the summer before where he had both his Continental convertible and the Zepher there. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, Graham Man said:

You might want to add this car, a friend of mine has it in Lansing.

Image result for 1932 Graham

1932 Graham Model 57 - 100% original car

Image result for 1933 graham most imitated car

I talked to the owner.

She would love to bring the car back to EyesOn Design; it was previously in our exhibition in the mid to late 1990s.

Unfortunately, our show is the same day she is departing for the Graham National meet, so my search continues.

• 2 months later...

Yes, the 2020 EyesOn Design exhibition was recently cancelled.

The 2020 theme and other key elements of the 2020 show will become the 2021 EyesOn Design exhibition, scheduled for June 20, 2021.