rjp

Dort

Would this club have any knowledge on the Dort car 1917?

No replies?? Apparently not??

Std Cat sez Dort and Durant were lifelong friends, but each had their own cars (Biily) and car (Dort). Its a good place to start for info..9...

Was there some specific info you needed on the 1817??

Not much but all helps. How much oil does the engine hold? 

Dort was an assembled car; d'you know which engine is in it, and if engine in it is supposed to be original??

What kind of oil indicator does it have ---dipstick, float, petcocks---must've had some kind of original indicator..

How much ouil did you drain out of it??.

Edited by Bud Tierney
addition (see edit history)

I drained out about 2 1/2 gls.. It has a float that is saterated and does not float. It is a early Lycoming engine

Don't have many Dort listings, and the ones I have disagree (one says L 31/4 bore, another says KB 31/2 bore)

Unless  has odd oiling system or odd oil pan, probably 5qts good start BUT to be safe re-post your question for oil capacity of Lyc 4cyl L or KB---chances are their 4s all pretty much same on oil capacity......

I'm assuming no oil pressure gauge...

Correct no oil gauge the oil pump just fill the dipper trays. I have the pan off know and I shall play around and see what things look like with 5 qts. Ill try to find out about oil pump some where Thanks

I once owned a 1915, and my family a 1917. Happy to assist in any way. I rebuilt my 15, the 17 originally came from CA, ended up in WA, and was recently sold in WA again out of an estate. 

Don

I am in Washington and bought it from a estate and the estate had bought it in Ca.