Mark Gregory

Do not put your feet on the Dash if you have an Air Bag

9 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

It's unfortunate that she suffered such dire  consequences, and we can all feel compassion for that.  And we can probably all say that we are grateful that we did not suffer for some of our past stupidities.

But it doesn't change that putting your feet up onto an explosive charge ( and you would assume there is an airbag there) is a personal responsibility.  She was not a small child.

"OK, Boomer" if you wish, but not somebody else's responsibility.

My take on the OP is that it's a well founded reminder to us that there is indeed real dangers hidden in our vehicles. Because we live along side that danger day in and day out without notice or harm it's easy to get comfortable and complacent. To even forget it's there. Or in some cases of younger people who have been raised with vehicles with air bags to just take them for granted. No biggie.

You are correct that it was her personal responsibility. No one forced her to do it.

But, rather than heap derision on the girl I think it would be wise to consider the human behavior factors that lulled her into not stupidity, but complacency. A state of mind that we are all vulnerable to and that has caught many.

I have forwarded the OP to my grand children................Bob

• Like 2

I agree.  Complacency, ignorance, or stupidity as the cause does not change the result.  The lesson should be a heightened awareness of the possible consequences of our own actions.

57 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I agree.  Complacency, ignorance, or stupidity as the cause does not change the result.  The lesson should be a heightened awareness of the possible consequences of our own actions.

Which, of course, was the lesson contained in the OP.  Little is gained by derision or assigning blame.

Good discussion.

Hopefully we'll all be a bit safer in all the things we do..........Cheers.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)