Is it really a sin to install a 350 in a 55 Chev.?

R Walling

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:28 AM, Roger Walling said:

Is it really a sin to install a 350 in a 55 Chev.? Or dual master cylinder disk brakes?

How about seat belts or Radials?

FM radios? Air conditioning?

I know in British Columbia, and some other states and provinces, making a modern engine swap would will disqualify them for Antique plates. 

Craig

Here are my thoughts. I have three cars with small original small block chevys, a 66 Chevy Impala with a 327, 67 Camaro with 327 and a 70 Vette with a 350. All are stock except for radials and hose clamps. The Vette and Camaro would qualify for Driver participation and the Impala for HPOF as it is all original except for wear items like rubber and battery( Plan to take to Auburn). Each car is used about 1000 miles every  year to go on tours and cruise to the tours on the interstates at 70-75 MPH with no issues and the drums on the Impala and Camaro are fine with rebuilt systems. I also have 57 Ford Thunderbird my Dad ordered new and now has 25,000 miles and has not seen rain since 57. Until a few months ago it had two original tires along 40 year old ones. I put on new Goodyear bias ply just like the originals. Now that I have new tires, I have no problem running 70-75 MPH with a three speed overdrive, 312,  manual steering  and stopping with the manual drum brakes that were rebuild a few years back with silicone fluid added. In fact it seems more powerful than the Vette while not cornering as well. My point is a stock 55 Chevy or any other car of that era and newer with a stock V8 will do fine with modern traffic and better than my 2018 Ford E450 Motorhome. If you have to have a 350, buy a late 60's or 70's car that had one in originally.  I think the Driver Participation class AACA now has that allow small modifications like radial tires is all that is needed to get more cars to shows. Keep in mind, you can drive whatever you want on local AACA tours including your modern cars. While Dual Master Cylinder brakes may be bit safer, I have instead rebuild my single cylinder master cars with new lines etc and put in Silicon. The disc brakes on my Vette are little better than the drum cars but the drum cars stop much better than my new Motorhome. I also agree with Matt's comments that this forum is the one of the rare places for discussion of stock cars including brass ones that I also have. There are plenty of other forums for hot rodding. 

Tom 

• Like 3

Last car I had with drum front brakes was a Corvair. Nothing wrong with drums most places but not where you get 50+" of rain a year, often an inch at a time. In summer it is not if it will rain but when (usually at 4 pm). Have had to ride wet drums before to get stopping power back but prefer 4 wheel disks like my first car.

ps SLK is the first convertible I've had that if the interior gets wet, it won't shift.

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I know in British Columbia, and some other states and provinces, making a modern engine swap would will disqualify them for Antique plates. 

Craig

If I modify one of my antique cars I am no longer covered by my antique insurance, instead if you want to stay with them they have another department for hot rods/modified cars and trucks which is more expensive. Also in my state a modified car will disqualify you for antique plates also, problem is it's not enforced so sometime you will see old daily drivers abusing the hard earned for legislation to have antique plates. I might add they do this because my state smog checks back to 1967 and antique plate cars ( 25years and older ) are exempt from testing.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Last car I had with drum front brakes was a Corvair. Nothing wrong with drums most places but not where you get 50+" of rain a year, often an inch at a time. In summer it is not if it will rain but when (usually at 4 pm). Have had to ride wet drums before to get stopping power back but prefer 4 wheel disks like my first car.

ps SLK is the first convertible I've had that if the interior gets wet, it won't shift.

I have driven my 66 Impala and 67 Camaro in the rain many times and never noticed any issues stopping. Both are convertibles and the Camaros top is new which means now we drive it if rain is predicted as the Impala's top will leak a bit on my wife. 

On 1/24/2020 at 8:28 AM, Roger Walling said:

Is it really a sin to install a 350 in a 55 Chev.? Or dual master cylinder disk brakes?

How about seat belts or Radials?

FM radios? Air conditioning?

Many people like vintage cars but need to drive them on today's roads. Should restorations be condemned to spend their life in garages, only to be used on country roads on Sunday?

Some people enjoying driving original six cylinder cars on the highway,  why do they say that you should never change them and enjoy them the way they were built?

I personally have original restorations, hot rods and restro cars and I enjoy reading this forum.  So why do people say that we should not post anything but original automobiles.

The mast head describes this forum best,

General Discussion

"Melting pot forum for everyone interested in antique vehicles."

Yes it is a sin to install a 350 in a '55 Chevy.

• Like 1