Vintage_barry

Skylark 215 V8 “JN” Code

I’m possibly buy a 1963 Skylark 215 engine and I want to make sure that it’s a JN coded engine. I don’t have the motor in front of me so I need to tell the seller over the phone where to look.   It has a 4 barrel manifold, no carburetor.   The engine is stamped 3J1548264, which means it’s a 1963 engine made in Michigan but where is the “JN” stamp on the block?  Any information  would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for any help,  Barry 

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Same place as the engine serial number (on a pad at the front of the right cylinder head) but the engine production code is stamped upside down in relation to the engine serial number.

1963 Buick Engine Prod Code Stamp 05.jpg

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sean, Thanks.  The seller found the the serial number so the code stamp will be extremely easy.  Thanks again, Barry 

Two letters are the production code.  The J, as you may have figured out, is for 1963.  It's sequential.  J=63, K=64, L=65, etc. 

The other letter identifies the number of cylinders, cubic inches, horsepower, and carburetor.

A JN engine is an 8 cylinder 215 cubic inch 200 horsepower 11:1 compression 4 bbl engine.

Here's a complete breakdown of 1963 Buick engine Production Codes:

SPECIAL & SPECIAL DELUXE

ENGINE
NO.
NO.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
JL
JZ
JM
JP
JN
8.8:1
8.8:1
9.0:1
7.6:1
11.0:1
2BC
2BC
2BC
2BC
4BC
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO

SKYLARK

ENGINE
NO.
NO.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
JN
11:1
4BC
MAN/AUTO

LESABRE

ENGINE
NO.
NO.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
JR
JS
JT
JU
9.0:1
2BC
2BC
4BC
4BC
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO
MAN/AUTO*

INVICTA, ELECTRA 225 & WILDCAT

ENGINE
NO.
No.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
JT
JU
10.25:1
8.75:1
4BC
4BC
AUTO
AUTO*

RIVIERA

ENGINE
NO.
No.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
JT
JU
JW
8.75:1
4BC
4BC
4BC
AUTO
AUTO*
AUTO

A low compression  engine with a 4 bbl carburetor ususally means that it was an export engine.

The other significance of the JN production code is that this engine definitely is going to need premium gas with that 11:1 compression ratio.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

If the serial number confirms a 63, why would one be concerned about the JN code? 

The JN engine would be the highest output for the aluminum V8 in that year.  Of course this assumes the engine still has all it's original parts.  

• Like 1

Could be one of the engines with fewer horsepower transplanted into the chassis with the 4 bbl manifold swapped. If you're paying for a Skylark, you want the Skylark engine.  There is also an engine serial number stamped into the block. That engine serial number needs to be the same as the VIN to have a "numbers matching" car. For some of the prices people are willing to pay for these cars, they expect to (and have a right to) make sure that they're getting the real McCoy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

The JN engine would be the highest output for the aluminum V8 in that year.  Of course this assumes the engine still has all it's original parts.  

Gotcha.  Thanks, John.

Ben

• Thanks 1

Sean,  It did turn out to be a JN coded engine. The code was under some grime.  I’m planning to build a MGA with a T-5 transmission and the 215 engine with a limited slip differential.  MG has a factory history with the Buick/Rover 215.  Thanks to everyone for all the great info,  Barry 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:09 AM, Vintage_barry said:

Sean,  It did turn out to be a JN coded engine. The code was under some grime.  I’m planning to build a MGA with a T-5 transmission and the 215 engine with a limited slip differential.  MG has a factory history with the Buick/Rover 215.  Thanks to everyone for all the great info,  Barry 

Sounds like fun.

What was the 215’s original carburetor and cfm’s.    What would be a modern replacement?   Thanks for any help,  Barry 

"What was the 215’s original carburetor and cfm’s"

GM used at least 4 different carburetor configurations on the 215:

(1) single Rochester 1-barrel downdraft type B

(2) single Rochester 1-barrel sidedraft type R

(3) single Rochester 2-barrel downdraft type 2G

(4) single Rochester 4-barrel downdraft type 4G

The CFM, to my knowledge, was not posted for any of them.

"What would be a modern replacement?"

Depends on your definition of the term "modern", AND your definition of the term "replacement".

To my knowledge, there are ZERO carburetors have have been advertised as replacements for any of these; however:

Some folks have successfully used Carter type YF carbs from the late 1960's to replace the 1-barrel type B.

Some folks have very successfully used the Carter 9400 AFB (introduced about 1971) for performance replacing the type 4G.

As the 2G production was continued into at least the late 1970's, no need for a replacement.

There is ZERO replacement for the type R.

At one time, there was at least one manufacturer offering a 2x2 intake for the 215.

Jon.

And a wee bit of probably unnecessary added information:

Being a Pontiac (and also Ford) person, I was very interested in the fact that Pontiac supposedly built some 5000 Tempests in 1962/3 with the 215. For decades, I looked for one, and finally gave up, as I now have more projects than years of reasonable life expectancy ;)

I wanted to "restify" the car, removing the type B used by Pontiac, and installing the entire turbo set-up (the type R) from the Oldsmobile Jetfire. I had designed a decal for the air cleaner with a picture of a tornado (appropriate for Missouri) with the title "Tempest Twister". Take the car to the Pontiac national convention, open the hood, and walk away! ;)

Jon. 

• Like 2

I’ve come across a couple of Carter 9400’s and a Carter 9410. Both were 400 CFM.  When I mentioned modern I was thinking as still in production, new.  Holley has the Classic 390 CFM but it’s a little pricey. 

Regarding the Pontiac with the Olds turbo jetfire, there would be double takes, head scratchers and a few grins.  Regards, Barry 

That’s a piece of art.  You do great work.  I’m going to put the 215 into a 1959 MGA and won’t have the engine compartment space for a turbo.  Thanks for the consideration,   Barry 

• Like 1

Barry,

If you want more power use a Rover block and heads. Your Buick oil pan, timing chain cover,  valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds will all bolt on. You can't tell the difference and nothing beats displacement, 4.6L  277ci in this case. That's what I put in my 68 Volvo.

Dave

1177726604_6.1_193.thumb.jpg.fc72573a057889afe9626dc17cd253f3.jpg

• Like 1