1939 Buick Special rear end

1939 Buick Special rear end. A friend of mine had this for spare parts for his 1939 Special sedan. When he got to 80 years old, he sold that car, and I wound up with this rear end.

It came off a junkyard car that had about 45,000 miles, and was upside down. Wheels rotate fine, no strange noises.

Probably the last part to wear out in an old Buick, but someone out there might need one

It's now sitting  on pallets in the woodlot behind my camp in Freedom, Maine. I can keep it there until you can come up to Maine when the snow is gone. 

I'm asking $300 for the whole thing, or  would sell individual parts off it.

Thanks for looking.

1939 Buick Rear end ex Stover Oct 18, 2017 011.jpg

1939 Buick Rear end ex Stover Oct 18, 2017 012.jpg

1939 Buick Rear end ex Stover Oct 18, 2017 013.jpg

1939 Buick Rear end ex Stover Oct 18, 2017 014.jpg

Edited by Douglas Gilmore Brown (see edit history)

Any chance you could remove the carrier and gears from the the rear driveshaft back, or just the carrier and gears and ship it to me in Florida?  I can't deal with the whole third member.  However, I'm only interested in an optional 3.9 (Century standard) ring & pinion.   Dave Tachney doesn't have one.  By the way, I'm 81 and did about the same as your friend this past year.  I sold one of my '39 Buicks, a 41C 4dr convertible.  But, I'll never sell the blue car in the picture.  I still have a '41 Roadmaster and a '91 Park Avenue.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Thank you for your interest, Dynaflash8. I can remove these parts for you. Right now there is 8 inches of snow covering it, but we will be above freezing this weekend.

Please give me instructions as to how to take it apart. Disassembly looks straightforward, but you are more of a Buick expert that I am. I can crate the parts up, and I think UPS will ship them if it is under 150 pounds. My email is scarab72051@fairpoint.net. Please contact me, and we can work out the details. 

I had a 1961 Electra 225 Convertible which I  bought during  the early 1970s Arab Oil embargo for $90.00. It was a great car, and the man who I sold it to about 20 years ago still has it, I think. He is about 25 miles away from me. If you know anybody who wants one, I'll go over and see if he still has it..

I always loved the looks of the 1937 - 1940 Buick convertible sedans. A man in my town had a 1940 back in the mid 1960's. 1941 Buicks are very nice cars, and the Roadmasters are at the top of the heap. A couple pics of them have been recently posted in this section.

Seems like many owners of this era BUICK would like to get a 3.90 rear end. Much lower engine R.P.M. when going down the highway.

So, Douglas, as Earl (Dynaflash8) mentioned, you'll need to determine if the one you're selling is a 3.90. Personally, I'd suggest doing that, before you pull everything apart. Check with Earl for instructions on how to figure the ratio out. Good luck with your sale. John

Thanks for your sage advice, Jolly John. If Earl can give me instructions, I can figure out the ratio. 

I have worked a little with 1937 - 1939 Mopars, and recall that a local man bought a rear end from a 37 Plymouth Coupe from me for his 38 Chrysler 6 Cabriolet for that reason. And, his 38 Chrysler was a real beauty. He had seized up the rear end, and he was counting the revolutions  on 4 or 5 of these Mopar rear ends I had. 

This may have come off a Century. The car was upside down, which was how a lot of the junkyards hereabouts removed engines back then, and would have been the same size as a Special

Edited by Douglas Gilmore Brown (see edit history)

Posts above are assuming its from a Special series 40

Unbolt the rear sheet metal cover off and count the teeth. And photograph.

40 - 9  ratio 4.44 is standard series 40 special

39 -10 ratio 3.90 was on series 60 Century and optional on series 40 special

What are the sizes of the brake drums? Bigger series have bigger brakes.

We all want a 3.9 diff ☺️

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Thanks for that.

It is hard to count 9 vs 10 and 40 vs 39 without rotating (I have tried that 🙁 )

Sometimes you see an engraved part number on the ring or pinion

Looks OK, even guessing it been dry for some time

Off topic

In a few days is going to 40 degrees  where I live.  That is 40°C (104°F)

3 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Thanks for that.

It is hard to count 9 vs 10 and 40 vs 39 without rotating (I have tried that 🙁 )

Sometimes you see an engraved part number on the ring or pinion

Looks OK, even guessing it been dry for some time

Off topic

In a few days is going to 40 degrees  where I live.  That is 40°C (104°F)

Well, I hope it doesn't become 40 below, which I seem to recall are same for both.

If it stays warm for a while, I might be able to thaw it with some hot water on the brake drums.

If I find a part number, I'll let you know.

Some image of '39 S40 ring & pinions

First photo shows the part number 1363405 and 39 10 (ratio): that's what we all want [from another thread in the forum]

Second photo is from my parts car. Just took several photos with a camera and looked later what it was. 9 is teeth, so not what we all want. The writing may have been there for ~80 years

39 rear diff 3s.jpg

IMG_2035s.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick
resized images (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a 3.60 third member with torque tube out of a 50 special that bolted directly into my 40 special sedan. $50.76,000 miles on it. Inside looked like new. Had a 4 something ratio originally. TT length was 1/4” shorter. Have to watch changing the whole housing between years cause the coils are mounted in different locations. 

Edited by RiKi5156B
Sp (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RiKi5156B said:

I bought a 3.60 third member with torque tube out of a 50 special that bolted directly into my 40 special sedan. $50.76,000 miles on it. Inside looked like new. Had a 4 something ratio originally. TT length was 1/4” shorter. Have to watch changing the whole housing between years cause the coils are mounted in different locations. 

$50 is a remarkably low price.  Good buying

1939's are different with the 1 year only short jack shaft and the torque ball in the ~middle and not on the end of the transmission.

Thanks for the picture of the GM numbers on the ring gear! It's getting cold out again, and I have bolted the cover plate back on. It wasn't warm enough to loosen up the brake drums today

As soon as another warm spell arrives, I'll go out and loosen them up, and rotate the driveshaft until I se these numbers. This  is a lot better than putting a dab of white paint on a point, and trying to count the teeth. 

It's nice to know that GM was so meticulous about putting this data on their gears.

I'll post the results as soon as I find the numbers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Cesar Garcia said:

All, I just bought a 1939 Buick Special 40 and want to change the rear end. any one can tell me what other rear end (modern) i can swap it with?

thank you all

Buick's of this era have a torque tube design. No diff will swap, other than the very hard to find 1939 series 60. Even changing the ratio (cw&p) involves engineering work (except for S60)

Look here (post 6) for links on diff changes-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

• 1 month later...